Why become a member? ×

Video Location Needed - Abandoned/Run Down Factory

Lozz196

Ok, so we need an old abandoned, run-down, unused factory type building for a video shoot. We`re located in Hertfordshire but are willing to travel up to a 3hr journey for the right location. If anyone has any suggestions can you let me know please. It has to be a run-down building, disused factory as the song is about how successive governments have ruined industry in this country.

Urban explorers web sites will give you some possible locations, but whether you can get permission to go and film at these locations is another thing entirely.

www.28dayslater.co.uk for example. You'll probably have to travel: Hertfordshire is not exactly renowned for dark satanic mills.

Wouldnt you need permission to film? Health and safety etc?

Could be a good ending though if the old bill arrive.

Brings to mind The Beatles being busted on the roof.

xD

Edit. Oops didnt see Petes post above.

Edited by Hobbayne

Pete's bang on the money here. It's not about finding the site, it's about getting permission to film there.

There are usually a number of very good reasons why they put bloody great fences around places like that.

As an alternative, try booking a rehearsal at Panic Button Studios on Platt's Eyot in the Thames at Sunbury/Hampton.

Maybe not quite as 'abandoned factory' as you want, but certainly a huge slice of 'industry that time has left behind' with an old WW2 airfield sort of feel to it, verging on an episode of The Prisoner.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If anyone has any suggestions can you let me know please. It has to be a run-down building, disused factory...

Your options boil down to:

1. Finding a friend who knows someone capable of granting access to such a site... hence posting on Basschat is a good idea.
  2. Finding a suitable location and contacting the site owner/manager direct to discuss permission (liability insurance will be a concern and the management company will almost certainly charge you a fee to cover this as a bare minimum, if they see it worth their while at all).
  3. Contacting a film location agency that will be able to recommend locations and make all of the necessary arrangements (for a fee, of course).

When I worked in the music press, most unsigned bands would simply blag it by - ahem - 'arranging impromptu access' to such sites and recording the film guerilla-style. Plenty of such locations at the time in the North West. This approach isn't advisable, of course, as you could end up with the police involved or worse still, suffering an accident if the site is unsafe.

So if you want to do things properly, you'll need to contact either the site owners direct or via a location agency and cough up some money. Personally, I'd go down the agency route as you may otherwise find yourself chasing locations/ site managers for some time before you strike it lucky.

All depending on your budget, of course. If you're skint, it's time for balaclavas and the P u s s y Riot approach :D 

EDIT: yes, I'm having to circumvent the website swearword filter to write 'p u s s y', like some kind of deranged Daily Mail comments section contributor.

Edited by Skol303

Thanks guys, much appreciated. We`re more likely to go down the official route, it might seem a bit contradictory to the punk ethic but we`re too old to leg it from the old bill if they turn up, couldn`t even manage a walker, let alone a runner.

Edited by Lozz196

Is the urban decay band vid/photo not a bit overdone?  Just saying.  Why not try and come up with something different, ironic, unusual?  It might get noticed a bit more. take the p*ss out of shiny new big business or yuppie housing.

• Like 1

I think Joy Division got there first... 

Fast forward to nearly 2020 and a disused factory is an anachronism - may as well video yourselves as blacksmiths or thatchers (Ironic!).

It's not lack of jobs that's the problem anymore, but it's the quality - zero hours contracts & the gig economy etc.

I don't think anyone wants to go back working in a factory - or even remembers for the younger generation, so lamenting them will be a bit of a period piece.

1 hour ago, visog said:

I think Joy Division got there first... 

Fast forward to nearly 2020 and a disused factory is an anachronism - may as well video yourselves as blacksmiths or thatchers (Ironic!).

It's not lack of jobs that's the problem anymore, but it's the quality - zero hours contracts & the gig economy etc.

I don't think anyone wants to go back working in a factory - or even remembers for the younger generation, so lamenting them will be a bit of a period piece.

Working in a factory doesn’t have the Be piece work on a production line. The men and women at Airbus for example are all highly skilled engineers.

And more people applied to a Rolls Royce apprenticeship scheme than applied to Oxbridge.

We can develop high skill industries in this country if we wanted to, it’s just that our Government can’t or won’t do so. Successive Governments have done the same thing. Very sad really.

We want the band shots of us playing in a disused factory type environment because that`s what the song is about, how successive governments have ruined the industries that Britain was once very good at. It`s that or nowt, we`re not really fussed that other bands have done it before, or that possibly thousands will do it after, we just want the band playing shots in that type of setting.The rest of the video will be shot to hopefully match up with the lyrics of the verses.

16 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Why would the government want the country to fail? 

They seem to be doing a fair job of it from my viewpoint. Flogging off all our successful businesses to foreign companies so all the profits go out of the country and the companies involved are allowed sweetheart tax deals. Allowing private companies to run our public transport and make profits for their shareholders rather than profits being plowed back into the infrastructure or lower fares. Like a certain foreign company being allowed to buy a chocolate manufacturer in York, with the promise that the factory would remain in production, than allowing them to close said factory with the resulting unemployment.  I could go on.

3 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Don't spoil Lozz's thread by making it political, it will just get locked.

That's true. It's my fault. The good news is that with our continued policies of austerity there will be many more derelict factories out there!