Why become a member? ×

Playing with the ashtrays on

Guest MoJo

18 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

There's every chance! I'm afraid that I can be a bit of a cowboy when it comes to repairs so I'm sure this would explain this one! xD :facepalm:I can manage simple stuff like swapping pickguards, changing strings etc but some bigger jobs definitely need a more professional touch.

I've never had a noise issue removing the cover from my 4001 so another vote for it being you!  Although, when I first got my bass the previous owner had earthed the pickup by running a wire over the body to the tailpiece (mine's a mapleglo version and it ran along the skunk stripe) so maybe you're not alone in not understanding the mysteries of the Ric's wiring

I did try playing with it on when I first got the bass as it looks great, but it's nothing but a hindrance to actually playing - "talent stopper" is very apt

21 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

That chrome plating was sorely missed on mine - loads of hum when I took it off so it went straight back on. Mine's a 2nd hand 4003 that wasn't the best looked after so that could be a factor.

I suspect there's definitely more at play with yours; I've had over 15 Rics and adding/subtracting the cover hasn't made one jot of difference either way.

FWIW when I do have them on a Ric I rest my picking hand on there, which is actually how I learnt to play. Given that Chris Squire rested his hand in the same way (albeit his pickup was an actual horseshoe) I'd hardly call it a talent stopper; he's my all-time favourite player.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

I might have this wrong, but I seem to recal that there was some kind of earth wire that you had to re attach when you took off the cover, which isn't a five minute job on  4003.  Is there any chance that you didn't put it back properly when you took your cover off....?

This.

The earlier basses (like mine) had an aluminium baseplate to the treble pickup which meant this wasn't required.

I loved the look of them on my Squier CV '60s P, but could never get used to playing with the pickup cover on, so just have the bridge cover fitted  now. My '51 Re-issue P is a different matter - it simply doesn't look "properly dressed" to me without both covers, and for some reason I never have an issue playing it with the pickup cover on. 

• Like 1