Why become a member? ×

Singer going wireless in ears

jezzaboy

Our singer has decided to get a wireless in ear monitor set up. This year we are mainly doing gigs with other bands, sort of min festival set ups. I know most of the stages will have decent wedge monitors (hopefully) so is there any problem with her using in ears at these gigs? Can she plug her set up into the desk? She doesn`t want to rely on the floor wedges. Excuse my ignorance in these matters, we have always used our own pa in the past.

As long as the engineer has enough aux sends on the desk and is happy to spend the time sorting out a decent mix for her. She's unlikely to get a stereo mix but you never know. Personally I prefer to have my in ear mix set up just to my liking with compression so I take quite a long time when setting up with a new or unfamiliar desk. It would definitely be wise for her to buy a decent system with a limiter function. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our singer does this. It works well providing the rest of the band still get vox in either their own IEM or on stage monitor. For most pub gigs we find just one good floor monitor on the floor with vox only it does the trick.

There are some compromises. Sometimes its all good and sometimes for what ever reason not perfect (for her that is) but overall it works.

Any decent sound man thats not trying to play keys at the same time as managing the desk( which is what our guy has to do!) should be able to handle this no problem. 

Is the £400 budget to cover just the wireless equipment, or does that need to cover the actual earpieces too? 

There's likely to be some good deals to be had on Sennheiser G3 radio equipment soon. The G4 has just launched, so G3 prices should come down for end-of-line stock, and second hand prices will (hopefully, if you're buying) reflect this. This is pro-standard kit and a big step up in quality from the cheap LD/t.bone stuff at the budget end. 

10 minutes ago, mike257 said:

There's likely to be some good deals to be had on Sennheiser G3 radio equipment soon. The G4 has just launched, so G3 prices should come down for end-of-line stock, and second hand prices will (hopefully, if you're buying) reflect this. This is pro-standard kit and a big step up in quality from the cheap LD/t.bone stuff at the budget end. 

I'm not too sure what will happen re: the G3/G4 - I'm watching with interest to see what happens. The later G3 units have the same boards in as the G4 and it appears to be just a cosmetic and software change. The actual RF performance and sound quality doesn't seem to have changed... so maybe the G3s will have very high residuals. I certainly haven't seen anybody pulling out any deals... yet.

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I'm not too sure what will happen re: the G3/G4 - I'm watching with interest to see what happens. The later G3 units have the same boards in as the G4 and it appears to be just a cosmetic and software change. The actual RF performance and sound quality doesn't seem to have changed... so maybe the G3s will have very high residuals. I certainly haven't seen anybody pulling out any deals... yet.

Yes, doesn't seem to be a huge difference on paper. I think they're just keeping up appearances because the G3 have been about for so long. There's reasonable deals to be had though. I got four channels of G3 mics/receivers for a cracking price recently from an AV company that were upgrading to the 6000 series stuff. 

our singers just started using them, just a cheap system from gear4music https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-by-Gear4music/OUE

it work surprisingly well, when he can keep them in his ears! he has a real problem with in ear buds they fall out when he's jumping around like a lunatic and sweating like a pig, I'd say if your singer can keep in ear phones in (I never have a problem, if fact they hurt if I catch the cable and pull them out) it might be a cheap way of trying them out

As you will probably see from the other thread, for most people in-ear monitoring becomes an evolving journey, starting with a good entry point product and evolving to the maximum price point you can justify...  Yes, you can shell out thousands just on the earpieces and the same on the wireless, but that is not a realistic start point for the majority.

I started with an LD MEI1000 wireless (Not the 100, most would agree thats a false economy), which will cost £250 ish, and will comfortably get her working with a system which won't put her off (this is a big problem - start really cheap, and you'll have a bad experience, and will probably say "this isn't for me") for the wrong reason.  Not the best out there, but perfectly serviceable.  Chuck the included ear buds in a drawer somewhere, or give them to your kids (they are not great!).  Then buy a pair of "MEE Audio M6 Pro" buds - probably the best of the cheap ones, and won't initially disappoint.

She will then need to get the on-stage engineer to give her a mono or stereo (1 or 2 XLRs) monitor mix, and she'll be able to control her own level and protect her ears...  If its a digital desk, she might be allowed to control her own mix with a phone app.

An total investment of £280, of which she'll get at least £200 back re-selling the LD if she decides its not for her, but that decision is less likely to be based on "this sounds crap", than the alternatives.  If she is relatively happy at this point, she can then join those of us who are on the aforementioned "evolving journey", where the sky is the limit!

I have suggested this setup to a number of people, all of whom have stuck with it, so don't let me down here!

Hope that helps.  Go back to the other thread for the "war and peace" (longer) version!

PS.  I still have my LD MEI1000 as a perfectly serviceable backup three years on, and always keep a new pair of MEE M6 Pro buds in my gig bag as emergency spares...

Edited by MoJoKe

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Mojoke: the LD set up you mentioned is the one she is going to get so no letting you down! She is going to get a set of Shure buds to go with it. Lets hope she is happy with it.

Our singer uses in ears but occasionally has moans that it drops out if I stand in the way of the signal xD , oh how I manage to look serious while chuckling away to myself . 

One problem is that he has started playing a bit of guitar as well , but he can't hear it , so he has to mic up his amp , now he can hear it in his ears but has no idea how loud/quiet he is in the mix . We set it quite low and leave him to it ¬¬

Edited by lurksalot

16 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Mojoke: the LD set up you mentioned is the one she is going to get so no letting you down! She is going to get a set of Shure buds to go with it. Lets hope she is happy with it.

As someone currently using the MEI1000 along with some Shure SE215s, can recommend. Obviously at their price point they are not going to blow minds, but they certainly get the job done and represent good value for money. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SeeBread said:

As someone currently using the MEI1000 along with some Shure SE215s, can recommend. Obviously at their price point they are not going to blow minds, but they certainly get the job done and represent good value for money. 

thats how I see it too., but a good, safe start point..!

15 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

No problem!  One of the biggest barriers to getting on with in-ears is the feeling of isolation from the room/band.  To ease her journey, if you can organise that she gets a bit of ambient "stage/room sound" into her mix (but obvs at a low volume!) that will be a massive help.  She can then reduce this over time as she gets used to it.

We now have a pair of very cheap condenser mics (Behringer C-2 about £55 for a pair and do the job fine!) mounted discretely on brackets on the two main singers mic stands, pointing in the general direction of the audience, with their output being sent just to the in-ear mixes, so that if someone dares to come up and ask the singer if we can play Sex on Fire or Mustang Sally (insert name of least favourite song here), you can tell them they are at the wrong gig and to p*ss off without pulling one of your buds out to hear them!!

Good Luck

15 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

...She is going to get a set of Shure buds to go with it...

Just a personal opinion, but I've had various Shures, including SE215s, and the the MEE M6 Pro are really not far off on quality, but MUCH cheaper (ie. if they get bust you can buy another two pairs and they'll still have been cheaper!).  Shures, start with 315s at least...  As said, just personal experience, some people prefer the 215s!