Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Vintage ultra

hitchy64

Hi, I was playing a gig last night and all went well.

There were other musicians watching us, and a bass player said after that while my overall sound was great I could do with some effects on some songs.

He uses a Darkglass vintage ultra pedel, anyone on here using one, can you give your opinion please.

cheers

Hitchy

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've been playing about 45 years now, never put my bass through any FX and no one has ever suggested that I should. What did he feel was missing from your sound that a pedal would cure?

+1

Edited by Al Krow

Not necessarily rubbish, but just cos someone says I use this, doesn’t mean you have to.

IF (and a big if) something was not letting you poke through then maybe some judicious EQ with your stuff you have may help this?

More than likely everyone else, band members included liked your stuff, so no worries.

Only do/add stuff if YOU want is my opinion.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hitchy64 said:

Hi, I was playing a gig last night and all went well.

There were other musicians watching us, and a bass player said after that while my overall sound was great I could do with some effects on some songs.

He uses a Darkglass vintage ultra pedel, anyone on here using one, can you give your opinion please.

cheers

Hitchy

Glad the gig went well, and nice to get a bit of feedback on your sound from another bassist :)

I'd echo what Banjo Hobbit said - the pedal could be ideal.....or not. Might not be too much for a folk band, but for industrial metal it could be fine !

And look at any of the effects threads on here and what becomes really obvious is whilst there are some ‘better’ and some ‘less good’ pedals it really does depend on individual needs and set up. I have had pedals that some people love but they just don’t work for me, and I am sure my pedal board wouldn’t work for many others. 

I'd go and have a play with some stuff and see if you like it...

I used to be a No Pedals man; now I've got 3 lots of compression, plus a Wounded Paw V4 blender to mix clean with Bass whammy/DOD envelope filter, Darkglass tube distortion/3Leaf envelope filter and Boss bass synth. Clean with a hint of those 3 FX loops gives a very 70s funk/Headhunters/Bootsy sort of sound that cuts through the rest of the band. It might not please the band and audience, but it pleases me :)

Looking at the Dark Glass page on this pedal, it's not what I'd call an effects pedal, but a preamp, so perhaps he just felt your sound would benefit from a better preamp. I don't use effects, but do use a Sansamp DI plugged into the FX return of my amp instead of of the built in pre amp. It definitely gives more bite and definition.