Why become a member? ×

a snip at....

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Price aside, I cannot believe how good condition that bass is in considering it's 66 years old! Do we really think it's all original and not a refin?

Its a nice one, I've seen many better, although I imagine the reason the bridge cover is on the wrong way is because its been like that a while, and the fading to the body shows through, and it looks terrible corrected. Seen a few like that, and they look awful.  

The rare thing with this one is the case though. Uber rare.

3 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Its a nice one, I've seen many better, although I imagine the reason the bridge cover is on the wrong way is because its been like that a while, and the fading to the body shows through, and it looks terrible corrected. Seen a few like that, and they look awful.  

The rare thing with this one is the case though. Uber rare.

So it's £15k for the bass plus £8k for the case then?

xD

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

So it's £15k for the bass plus £8k for the case then?

xD

Ha, maybe not! :D

I didn't mention the price. We may all have our opinion on that. Prices listed, and actual sale prices can sometimes vary a bit (Not hugely though on rare items in my experience). If they want £17k for a '57 though, then £23k for this is probably proportionately right. Its all relative isn't it. These are rare things, and seldom turn up, especially in the UK.  Another dealer in London has a '55 Precision for over £16k, so again, its relatively comparable.  

In my experience, they (All of them) list with high prices, which, if you have interest in something this scarce, will prompt contact from you, and start dialogue. If I wanted a '52 Precision, and somebody listed one at £50k, it wouldn't put me off making contact, and starting a discussion, despite me having no intention of paying £50k. You might see one '51-'53 Blackguard Precision available every couple of years on these shores, so its normal to list high on such things, as there isn't a regular stream of comparable recent sales to gauge market value. It's probably on consignment anyway, and the owner may have an expectation of what he wants, add 20% to that and it bumps up their retail listing.

Having said that, I don't think the price is a million miles away as a package (From a London shop), although I'd want to see the bridge area of the body with that cover off! This particular seller is known for high price listings though.