Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a high end bass

Al Krow

A  S.M.A.R.T. repair to bodywork on a car might cost £200 or less, if it's not a metallic colour and there are no dents to pull. I subscribe to Dan Erlewine on the Stewmac Luthier Supplies YTchannel  and he can repair virtually any paint work on both new and vintage gear and makes it look easy..

On 07/04/2018 at 13:25, Al Krow said:

Yamaha BBNE2 (damage).jpg

Let's see...

- Shipping the bass back to Japan;
- Having Yamaha take a worker from the assembly line to:
a. Dismatle the bass;
b. Strip the entire body
c. sand the bass
d. seal and panit the bass, plus curing time
e. reassemble the bass making sure every part fits as intended with the Yamaha QC standarts regarding soldering, fit and finish;
- Ship the bass back to the store;

Adding all these costs and time the bass would end up at almost double the cost for Yamaha Japan. It's logic that they prefer to write it off at a very good discount and just make back the production cost (or even a small profit, this bass is expensive new).

I would take it as it is. If nobody wants it please direct me to it :D

another edit: just to add that the process i described in my post is the only way for the store to properly fix that bass before selling to a customer as a new item. A refinish by a third party should void Yamaha's waranty on the bass but not the store's waranty and full disclosure about the condition of the bass should be required. Bes solution is to sell as it is and offer a quote for a repair job if the client wants it.

Edited by Ghost_Bass
unfinished

1 hour ago, Ghost_Bass said:

I would take it as it is. If nobody wants it please direct me to it :D

If you're genuinely interested, just ask for Tom the manager at Wunjos and maybe mention one of your bass chat mates pointed you in his direction... enjoy! :)