Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a high end bass

Al Krow

Was recently offered this B stock item on a high end bass, by a London bass store at a big discount to the list price.

Just wondering why they haven't got it refinished / restored to new? Is it difficult / expensive to get a lacquered paint job to match the original? How much of the body would need to be redone? I'm guessing if it's not done to a really good standard, a respray would actually devalue the bass rather than allow the store to sell it for 'mint' / new price?

Yamaha BBNE2 (Black) .jpg

Yamaha BBNE2 (damage).jpg

I  would think that the chaps at The Gallery might well be able to sort out a little chip in the finish like that. Even if it can't be made perfect, I'm sure it could be improved a great deal.

Regarding why Wunjo  haven't re-finished  the knock before selling the bass, it could be for a number of reasons. Some people wouldn't be particularly bothered by superficial cosmetic damage if the bass is suitably reduced in price. Also, the shop could be accused of trying to mask the damage if they did not openly draw customers attention to it. Much better for the shop to leave the bass as it is and let people decide if they want to buy it and then do something about the damage themselves.

If they paid to have it fixed they would still have to significantly reduce the price and have the possibility of a moan from the buyer. Sell as is (probably still around the cost they paid for it) and no risk. Can make for a good buy, especially something like that which is only cosmetic from the looks of it.

It all depends on the deal they have with the supplier. They might have discussed the chip and agreed for the supplier to underwrite the discount to get it cleared.

If the bass is within warranty, and there turns out to be a fault, they can return it to the supplier. If they get it refinished without the supplier's agreement the warranty will probably be void.

8 minutes ago, Grangur said:

It all depends on the deal they have with the supplier. They might have discussed the chip and agreed for the supplier to underwrite the discount to get it cleared.

If the bass is within warranty, and there turns out to be a fault, they can return it to the supplier. If they get it refinished without the supplier's agreement the warranty will probably be void.

Interesting - I guess exactly the same warranty limitation point would apply to a purchaser buying the bass and getting it re-finished i.e. he risks voiding his warranty and might as well have bought the thing second hand?

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

I  would think that the chaps at The Gallery might well be able to sort out a little chip in the finish like that. Even if it can't be made perfect, I'm sure it could be improved a great deal.

Regarding why Wunjo  haven't re-finished  the knock before selling the bass, it could be for a number of reasons. Some people wouldn't be particularly bothered by superficial cosmetic damage if the bass is suitably reduced in price. Also, the shop could be accused of trying to mask the damage if they did not openly draw customers attention to it. Much better for the shop to leave the bass as it is and let people decide if they want to buy it and then do something about the damage themselves.

Totally agree that some folk wouldn't be bothered by the chip (or by the scuffing / scratches also visible) on the bottom end of the bass - in fact there are those of us who are prepared to pay more for deliberately 'damaged' basses - never quite understood that myself, but hey each to their own! :D

Interested that you're indicating (if indeed you are!) that somewhere like the bass gallery can improve the finish but won't be able to make new? I'm guessing to do this properly i.e. 'make perfect' would require stripping the (whole?) body of lacquered paint and then reapplying, which won't be cheap if it's done professionally and well?

I'm not an expert on this subject by any means(!), but I would be amazed if a chip on a black finish like that couldn't be masked to some extent without going to the lengths of a  total refinish. A skilled repairer would probably be able to do something to make it far less noticeable.

Edited by Misdee

21 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I'm not an expert on this subject by any means(!), but I would be amazed if a chip on a black finish like that couldn't be masked to some extent without going to the lengths of a  total refinish. A skilled repairer would probably be able to do something to make it far less noticeable.

Me too, but a strap would cover the chip too.

• Like 1

I had a similar chip on my first fretless, but it was a very cheap Warwick Rockbass (a few years ago now). It was in a far more prominent position and I touched it up with some black nail varnish. I think I 'd be happy to buy a high end bass like that at a reasonable price, touch it up and then stick a strap over it.

I do very much understand what you're saying, which makes sense. 

But my question is a slightly different one. Put simply: it's not could this be 'patched up', but what would be required and how much would it cost to restore this to an 'as new' finish indistinguishable from an undamaged / mint new one?

That relic was not done well, I would definitely not pay more for that.

Why are we talking about respects etc. The most obvious thing is to get it attached to your towbar and drag it around a bit.

You never order just one chip from the chippy, get some more, and gravy to go with 

• Haha 2

That part of the body would actually be almost entirely obscured by the end of your strap. I doubt if anyone else would even notice it when you're using the bass on a strap. Considering the savings to be had compared to the cost of the same model in immaculate condition I could happily live with it in your shoes if I wanted it - which I don't as it's not my thing  :P

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Is that just the angle, or does that bass have all gold hardware apart from the machineheads?

Woody it's a bling bass. In practice it doesn't do anything much more than a Squier*. But that's not entirely the point with high end basses is it? 

*e.g. it is no better at making the tea than a standard Squier, or provide a greater likelihood of turning you into Nathan East. Please see other thread for more detail. 

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

someone recently posted the cost a car bodyshop quoted for a body respray. It was £200. I'm sure this could be done cheaper than that.

A full car body refin for £200? I don’t think so?!

A bass refin will be between £250-500 I’d say, very much depending what you want (natural, solid, metallic etc).

You could patch the wear instead probably, instead of a full body refin, but doubt it would get back to ‘as new’.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sibob said:

A full car body refin for £200? I don’t think so?!

A bass refin will be between £250-500 I’d say, very much depending what you want (natural, solid, metallic etc).

You could patch the wear instead probably, instead of a full body refin, but doubt it would get back to ‘as new’.

Si

In the black lacquered finish of this particular bass I'd guessed it would be in the £350+ range, so that is helpful confirmation, thanks Si.

Kinda fully explains Wunjos slashing £500 off the sale price! 

And yup,  if someone can get a quality car respray for £200 please do share who is doing that, I suspect we all would want to know! 

Edited by Al Krow
General improvement to sentence construction and elimination of extraneous words from the mix.

27 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I was talking about a re-spray of a bass body. Why on earth would I be changing the subject to spraying a car? FFS 

Oh sorry haha, just that you mentioned a car bodyshop quoting for a full spray, wrong end of the stick :)

Si

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Woody it's a bling bass. In practice it doesn't do anything much more than a Squier*. But that's not entirely the point with high end basses is it? 

*e.g. it is no better at making the tea than a standard Squier, or provide a greater likelihood of turning you into Nathan East. Please see other thread for more detail. 

No, you misunderstand - I am on board with that, my main bass is still the 1605 and I would buy that (in its current condition) in a heartbeat.

Just if it has gold hardware, why would it have chrome machineheads? You can't have non gold machineheads if you have gold bridge and nut. Especially not with black.