Why become a member? ×

Things that annoy you...

rushscored4

Negativity on a gig night. beaching about various gripes with the band is fine, do it at rehearsal or a meeting, don't do it while I'm out trying to have a good time and DEFINITELY not while we're on stage you massive grumpy "£$£&%^*%&^

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cymbals. I'd quite like them all thrown into the fires of Mount Doom if someone can kindly arrange it. It's like being punched in the eye twice a second. HATE THEM!!!

OK, they can keep the little jumpy Smash-bot ones, but the rest of them can just go suck a fat one. 

Aaand...breathe....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

Wow. If anyone in my band treated me as ‘the help’ they’d be on Join My Band looking for a new ‘helper’...

I once discussed joining a band with someone - their precise requirements were that I play exactly the lines they told me to and also drive him and the singer to and from gigs as neither of them drove. 

That was a tough gig to turn down! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I once discussed joining a band with someone - their precise requirements were that I play exactly the lines they told me to and also drive him and the singer to and from gigs as neither of them drove. 

That was a tough gig to turn down! 

I was in a band like that before...I think I was bassist # 5 or 6...I wonder why the left of them quit?

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 15:52, cheddatom said:

Negativity on a gig night. beaching about various gripes with the band is fine, do it at rehearsal or a meeting, don't do it while I'm out trying to have a good time and DEFINITELY not while we're on stage you massive grumpy "£$£&%^*%&^

I'm a great believer in making the best of a bad gig and just doing your best (you know 'those gigs' that you didn't really rehearse enough for an you know its bombing 1/2 way through the set). I make as many mistakes as the next guy so I don't like to point out other peoples faults.  Still we should learn from bad gigs, poor song choices and being unprepared, Otherwise the band never gets better and you make the same mistakes gig after gig....Now that's really annoying.  (this should never be discussed on the night of the gig though)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I'm a great believer in making the best of a bad gig and just doing your best (you know 'those gigs' that you didn't really rehearse enough for an you know its bombing 1/2 way through the set). I make as many mistakes as the next guy so I don't like to point out other peoples faults.  Still we should learn from bad gigs, poor song choices and being unprepared, Otherwise the band never gets better and you make the same mistakes gig after gig....Now that's really annoying.  (this should never be discussed on the night of the gig though)

Oh, the one band member who is never to blame, not even for the mistakes that he knows he made, he's always got a detailed explanation of why that was in fact the fault of somebody else in the band

• Like 1

I'll put up with most things, but the spectre of having to deal with the guitarists Roland onboard key change gizmo nearly had me done.  He can flick a switch on his guitar and the key changes??      It happened the other night...he's suddenly in D, we're all in E...could have walked there and then. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 09:52, cheddatom said:

Agreed, It's suppose to be about fun. There's no reason to bring a negative vibe to a gig.

Blue

27 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I get a little annoyed when a band member leaves right after a gig leaving an hour and a half of tear down to the rest of the band.

Blue

That's actually a thing ???  wow 😮

11 hours ago, Les said:

That's actually a thing ???  wow 😮

Hi Les

It might be rare, but I've heard from other guys here on BC that have seen guys that do it.

It's BS, tear down is part of the gig. And IMO part of what your getting paid for.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Nobody taking responsibility for the Vocal PA (or knowing how to use the desk). Every gig I play there seems to be issues with faulty Mikes, faulty leads, too much reverb, not enough reverb, tinny vocals, muffled vocals, boomy vocals, feedback, monitors not working etc etc etc. Drives me effing nuts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quilly said:

Nobody taking responsibility for the Vocal PA (or knowing how to use the desk). Every gig I play there seems to be issues with faulty Mikes, faulty leads, too much reverb, not enough reverb, tinny vocals, muffled vocals, boomy vocals, feedback, monitors not working etc etc etc. Drives me effing nuts.  

I've been the "sound guy" in a couple of bands (I've also played in) mostly by default. Although I essentially don't know what I'm doing I've got to the "I can get by" stage more by luck than judgement. However, it's completely stresses me out. Other band members have always been consistently irritating. "Yes, I know it's bloody feeding back. Now go away and let me fix it!!!".

I'm never doing it again 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

I've been the "sound guy" in a couple of bands (I've also played in) mostly by default. Although I essentially don't know what I'm doing I've got to the "I can get by" stage more by luck than judgement. However, it's completely stresses me out. Other band members have always been consistently irritating. "Yes, I know it's bloody feeding back. Now go away and let me fix it!!!".

I'm never doing it again 😂

Setting up bass gear = 5 minutes, No problems.  

Trying to figure out a sound desk = 1 hr of stress

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quilly said:

Setting up bass gear = 5 minutes, No problems.  

Trying to figure out a sound desk = 1 hr of stress

Take that responsibility !

i joined up with a new formed band and after the first gig we had terrible PA sound issues , so when I asked who knew how to run it they all shrugged the shoulders and said the PA came from a previous band split and a different guy used to run it 😂

So took all the kit , hired a hall for a couple of hours and played with all the kit and worked a simple solution with desk , amps and speakers , sound checks take a 2 minute blast of roadhouse blues 👍

In the land of the blind , the one eyed man is king 😉

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, lurksalot said:

In the land of the blind , the one eyed man is king 😉

Ain't that the truth! There are a lot of musicians in my office, and they'd been putting on a few regular music nights long before I started in the job.  After getting to know people I was invited to come and play at one of these nights. I arrived while they were setting up in a nearby pub, and they seemed to be having some difficulty getting the PA to play nicely.

I don't know how they got the impression that I might know what I was doing...I think a few of them had checked out Cherry White online, been impressed, and somehow put two and two together to get five, with the non-sequituur that I must therefore know how to operate a 16-channel mixing desk.

Working it out was a mixed blessing - on the plus side, I got a decent sound out of it all, and the gig went well. On the downside, they now expect me to function as sound engineer at all subsequent nights.

As the saying goes, in the land of the needy, the man too polite to say "no" is at risk of becoming the band's b**ch.

• Like 1