Why become a member? ×

Things that annoy you...

rushscored4

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Tuning should always be done silently, or as silent as possible for acoustic instruments. Not a soul in the world wants or needs to hear the sound of tuning.

Unless, like Joe Brown said when his guitar went 'off' during a gig, "Now for a little Chinese ditty, 'Tu-Ning' ".

• Haha 1

Hanging onto faulty components when they should have been thrown out long ago (By the way I'm going to get a soldering iron out and repair everything) . Like jack leads, XLR leads, Floppy mike stands, faulty guitar tuners, faulty patch leads,    I could go on and on. Then having to sift through all these parts during stage set up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quilly said:

Hanging onto faulty components when they should have been thrown out long ago (By the way I'm going to get a soldering iron out and repair everything) . Like jack leads, XLR leads, Floppy mike stands, faulty guitar tuners, faulty patch leads,    I could go on and on. Then having to sift through all these parts during stage set up. 

band'mates' who abuse kit , just treating stuff roughly and throwing it about just grinds my gears :angry2:

16 hours ago, Quilly said:

One strike and out for me these days with leads. If it doesn't work first time when we're setting up it ends up in the bin behind the bar so it doesn't clog the lead bag up for he next 12 months.

• Like 1

When your bandmates insist on rehearsal at ear splitting volume , our rehearsal yesterday was insanely loud, what is the point? We were in a tiny rehearsal room and it was louder than the jam night I went to the previous night.  Will be having words with bandmates today,Thankfully I have earplugs but I still don't feel comfortable about being subjected to that level of volume

On 4/28/2018 at 07:20, Les said:

One strike and out for me these days with leads. If it doesn't work first time when we're setting up it ends up in the bin behind the bar so it doesn't clog the lead bag up for he next 12 months.

yep straight in the bin, tried repairing 'em, made it worse!

On 4/26/2018 at 16:40, markdavid said:

Yep , nothing more annoying than trying to tune up or to talk to another musician in the room about the material you are playing and someone is blaring away on their instrument

ah god our guitarist does this for ages as soon as he sets up his gear and we're trying to sort out the PA!  It drives me nuts! Its so unprofessional!!

I joined a band a few weeks ago, was given 7 songs to learn and then had a get together (a bit like a rehearsal but not..) to meet the others, run through the songs etc. All good, got the gig, learned the remaining 30 odd songs before my first gig, without another rehearsal. 

The songs in our set are played a little differently to how I've learned them - the tempo is a little higher in most cases, and some songs segue into others and back again.

I learned Hotel California this week, played it last night at a gig (without rehearsing) and it was not good. Barely an intro, no quiet middle section, half the guitar solo. These guys are great players and lovely people, but this lack of rehearsal is seriously affecting my confidence because I don't know how their arrangements go. The other members often gig as a duo or trio in the week leaving no time for rehearsals. 

So that's what currently annoys me about my band... 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Why oh why do audiences think that we can mind their drinks whilst they dance?

Our guitar player(and singer) had some geezer stand his drink on his music stand ON the lyric book!!

Last night some cretin put his drink down by a fold back monitor, for the next  pillock to come and kick it over - all over the mic cables running across the front.

Its bad enough packing away at 1.00 am, but to have to wipe the ale of the cables before packing them grinds my gears.

If I spot them, anyone bending down to put something at the front, might get accidentally hit over the head by a lump of maple with four shiny schallers sticking out.

Edited by dontregartha
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 07:22, Bolo said:

Tuning should always be done silently, or as silent as possible for acoustic instruments. Not a soul in the world wants or needs to hear the sound of tuning.

Reminds me of The Concert For Bangladesh where Ravi Shankar and the Indian musicians sat down on the floor and began to tune. The crowd burst into applause thinking this was the actual Indian music section, and Ravi said "If you liked the tuning that much you should wait till we start playing properly!"  xD

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Haha 1

Band members deciding to take a swig of water just as we’re about to start a song where said individual leads off; cue everyone waiting till they’ve finished. Wait until it’s a song where you don’t come in straight away and have a drink during the guitar intro. Said individual then, on a song he leads off on looking round at everyone before he starts, going ‘ready?’, ‘ready?’ Yes I am funking ready, because I had a drink, tuned etc when there was an opportunity to do so in a section before the bass comes in, I’ve honestly lost count of the times I’ve raised this most moot of points; it really gets on my thrupennybits.

• Like 1

How band members handle musical differences when an issue has been thoroughly debated and the (rest of the) band has agreed on a solution:

1. The spoilt toddler's flat out refusal - they don't care what everybody else wants to do, they are giving up their time to play in the band so why should they be expected to do anything they don't want to do?
  2. The never quite letting it lie, bringing it back up again every few weeks to see if they can get their own way after all.  Particularly annoying when it's a song arrangement that they play as agreed for a few weeks and then go back to their original version, to see if anybody complains this time.
  3. The passive/aggressive: appearing to agree that they have lost that argument, and then showing that they were right by playing the song or arrangement that they don't like as badly as possible (or in one instance, never quite finding the time to learn the songs that they didn't like).   Funnily enough, this has happened in a couple of bands, with the lead guitarists (isn't it always?) thinking that they were proving their point about how their choices would have been much better, and the rest of the band thinking that they weren't very good if they couldn't play those songs properly and sacking them.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

How band members handle musical differences when an issue has been thoroughly debated and the (rest of the) band has agreed on a solution:

1. The spoilt toddler's flat out refusal - they don't care what everybody else wants to do, they are giving up their time to play in the band so why should they be expected to do anything they don't want to do?
  2. The never quite letting it lie, bringing it back up again every few weeks to see if they can get their own way after all.  Particularly annoying when it's a song arrangement that they play as agreed for a few weeks and then go back to their original version, to see if anybody complains this time.
  3. The passive/aggressive: appearing to agree that they have lost that argument, and then showing that they were right by playing the song or arrangement that they don't like as badly as possible (or in one instance, never quite finding the time to learn the songs that they didn't like).   Funnily enough, this has happened in a couple of bands, with the lead guitarists (isn't it always?) thinking that they were proving their point about how their choices would have been much better, and the rest of the band thinking that they weren't very good if they couldn't play those songs properly and sacking them.

I've had this, too. Bands 101: Play for THE SONG.