Why become a member? ×

Things that annoy you...

rushscored4

Lead Singer / Acoustic guitarist turns up to open air gig and plays gig with guitar out of tune and doesn't notice, sound man ended up killing his guitar, down to one guitarist to play lead / rhythm. Tells us afterwards he tuned his guitar at home, thought it would be OK....doesn't have a shell case just uses a gigbag.

There's a shared calendar for possible gig bookings and noting when people will be away. Guitarist books holiday, minutes later a gig is added that clashes and he concedes and cancels his holiday. Confirmed gig gets added, one member pipes up that it clashes with something "that will be much better" that he's organising with his mate but has neglected to tell the band. Calendar rules we say, "let's keep our options open" he replies.... No. A confirmed gig booked in to a free date cannot be "put on hold" because you might be negotiating something else with your mate that none of us knew about. Slamming head against brick wall.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

There's a shared calendar for possible gig bookings and noting when people will be away. Guitarist books holiday, minutes later a gig is added that clashes and he concedes and cancels his holiday. Confirmed gig gets added, one member pipes up that it clashes with something "that will be much better" that he's organising with his mate but has neglected to tell the band. Calendar rules we say, "let's keep our options open" he replies.... No. A confirmed gig booked in to a free date cannot be "put on hold" because you might be negotiating something else with your mate that none of us knew about. Slamming head against brick wall.

Don't want to derail the thread, but whose shared Calender do you use? Looking for recommendations.

18 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:
19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

head against brick wall.

Don't want to derail the thread, but whose shared Calender do you use? Looking for recommendations

Time tree - I'm on Android and I'm pretty sure at least one of the others has iPhone and it works for us. At home the wife and I use Famcal on Android for family stuff too. Both equally good.

This. Why do most guitarists think they are the only musician of worth in a band?

I have been as good as, if not better a musician than most (not all) guitarists I've played with. However, pretty much all of them see themselves as superior to everybody else.  No wonder most bands fail.  Even Richie Blackmore got kicked out of his own band for being a bell end. 

1 minute ago, pbasspecial said:

This. Why do most guitarists think they are the only musician of worth in a band?

I have been as good as, if not better a musician than most (not all) guitarists I've played with. However, pretty much all of them see themselves as superior to everybody else.  No wonder most bands fail.  Even Richie Blackmore got kicked out of his own band for being a bell end. 

I've been in a band with a few mediocre guitarists with notions.  Luckily I've played with good drummers and I just pounded out the bass until the guitarists got his stinky poo together between making mistakes etc. As the end of the gig we usually got praised etc with the guitarists beaming. For all its complexity its an instrument that you can get away with. I find whenever I slip up on bass its REALLY noticable.

• Like 1

There was a great phrase that I read on here recently that when musicians play together they are having a musical conversation. Change/swap a musician and fundamentally the style of conversation will change.  Like having a friend that just wants to monopolise, talk loudlyand for you to only listen.

Intelligent people know how to conduct the flow of conversation.

7 minutes ago, bassjim said:

Its just rude and disrespectful.  Is it just me but any guitarist that I've been in a playing situation with that was really good never did/does it.   

The best guitarists I've played with have been gentlemen.

35 minutes ago, bassjim said:

Guitarist noodling at any time the band isn't playing  be it at rehearsal, in soundcheck, pre gig ,between tunes ect.  

Out of all the things that are annoying this is the most.

Yep , nothing more annoying than trying to tune up or to talk to another musician in the room about the material you are playing and someone is blaring away on their instrument

Edited by markdavid
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markdavid said:

Yep , nothing more annoying than trying to tune up or to talk to another musician in the room about the material you are playing and someone is blaring away on their instrument

It's a lot more annoying if the person responsible for the noise is an incompetent harmonica player. Other than an incontinent bagpiper, I'm struggling to imagine anything worse. Especially when said harmonicist insists on playing through an insanely loud, heavy, and bulky valve combo so he can get 'his tone'. Playing in a key vaguely related to the music the rest of the band would be a lot better than searching for some mythical 'tone' from a five quid instrument and a thousand pound amplifier.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, markdavid said:

Tuning should always be done silently, or as silent as possible for acoustic instruments. Not a soul in the world wants or needs to hear the sound of tuning.

• Like 1