Why become a member? ×

Things that annoy you...

rushscored4

1 minute ago, russtufella said:

Our previous singer. He used to hide behind a keyboard he played on two songs and his lyrics on a music stand. And between each song drink coffe out of a large flask and play with his effect pedals, so he didn't engage with the crowd.

Kind of defeats the object of being a "front man" but history is littered with stories of great entertainers who were/are painfully shy in real life. Nothing much to do with music but I was in one the episodes of Peter Kay's first TV series in 1999 "That Peter Kay Thing" and got to meet him. He was so shy off stage he couldn't even look you in the eye!

1 minute ago, rushscored4 said:

Kind of defeats the object of being a "front man" but history is littered with stories of great entertainers who were/are painfully shy in real life. Nothing much to do with music but I was in one the episodes of Peter Kay's first TV series in 1999 "That Peter Kay Thing" and got to meet him. He was so shy off stage he couldn't even look you in the eye!

I've seen quite a few band dynamics in which the singer doesn't actually fulfil the role of the 'frontman'. Inter-song banter is left to another non-singing member who sometimes only has a mic for that purpose, which I've always thought was kind of funny. But whatever works for them.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2018 at 10:41, rushscored4 said:

We debuted 'Hanging on the Telephone' by Blondie which we'd practiced for months and played perfectly over and over at rehearsals this week but it was an absolute car crash last night from the opening "I'm in the phone booth..." line which she sang completely flat, forgetting her words throughout and basically making us all look pretty stupid. 

The thing I hate more than that, is after it happens, or there is some carcrash of a guitar solo or whatever, afterwards someone from the crowd will say 'Oh you were fantastic', and all you can say is 'thanks', when you really want to say 'no we weren't, we were complete stinky poo'

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Quilly said:

Other band members not investing in decent gear despite clearly having the means to do so (having to wait for the guitarist to tune up his crappy guitar after each song) It's a sure sign that they're only half interested in playing music.

Or, as we have, spending an absolute fortune on the most expensive guitars you can get, then having a shitty fender lead which (in common with most fender leads) has broken 3 times in the last year and stopped a song or got in the way somehow.

Piano players who say they're keyboard players, but they're piano players.

Playing two hands 8+ note pad chords and all over the bass.

Not learning the part so busking it, getting it wrong and me getting a bollocking from the other guys for playing the wrong bass notes!!

Music stand and book the size of a house - learn the effing parts!! Its not rocket science.

Turning up and setting up more gear than a 70's Rick Wakeman rig right across the stage before the PA is in.

But learn the parts!!!

I quit a band because of this, the rest couldn't see what the issue was, so I walked.

Edited by dontregartha
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, discreet said:

Er... well yes, but to be honest I was going to suggest buying your leads and cables from obbm...

I have a fender lead, but I never take it out of the house, it failed once, was replaced under their warantee, but I am not using it live.

I would get the obbm thing, but a) I play wireless even in tiny venues and b) when I don't, my main lead is an ebay nutric silent switch plugged Van Damme cabled one, which since I bought from ebay a few years ago has been faultless.

I don't understand why if you are prepared to pay £3k for a guitar, you are happy to put up with a lead that has let you down.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would get the obbm thing, but a) I play wireless even in tiny venues and b) when I don't, my main lead is an ebay nutric silent switch plugged Van Damme cabled one, which since I bought from ebay a few years ago has been faultless.

I don't understand why if you are prepared to pay £3k for a guitar, you are happy to put up with a lead that has let you down.

Same here, wireless at almost all gigs so there's no lead tangling round my leg and all the leads I plug into my bass for rehearsals and for the occasional ultra-simple gig (bass straight to amp) have Van Damme cables and silent jacks at the bass end. Although I could do with knocking up a silent jack lead to run to the Smoothhound.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Same here, wireless at almost all gigs so there's no lead tangling round my leg and all the leads I plug into my bass for rehearsals and for the occasional ultra-simple gig (bass straight to amp) have Van Damme cables and silent jacks at the bass end. Although I could do with knocking up a silent jack lead to run to the Smoothhound.

Well reminded - I need to do that, all these silent cables and I just unplug it from the wireless (or worse still, forget to mute and turn the wireless off)

Hmm.. they seem to have gone up a bit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152876300708  O.o

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

I had a rehearsal tonight.  Not feeling very well, had been in bed all day with a high temperature so I guess my tolerance levels were lower than normal.  The drummist was really getting on my nerves tonight.  Playing every song too slowly, playing in between the songs, adding intros where there are none and playing it too straight with no dynamics, too much closed hi hat.  We are a slightly funky blues band and it just sounded very pedestrian.   When it's good it's great but other times....

1 minute ago, pbasspecial said:

I had a rehearsal tonight.  Not feeling very well, had been in bed all day with a high temperature so I guess my tolerance levels were lower than normal.  The drummist was really getting on my nerves tonight.  Playing every song too slowly, playing in between the songs, adding intros where there are none and playing it too straight with no dynamics, too much closed hi hat.  We are a slightly funky blues band and it just sounded very pedestrian.   When it's good it's great but other times....

I have to admit as much as I love gigging I sometimes dread rehearsals especially if we have to go through the whole set with a dep drummer or guitarist which we have to do regularly.

I guess it depends on the the type of band and  the show. However, when I'm gigging I'm not up there on stage in a bubble or in my own world, like too many drummers.

I'm keenly aware of what's going with vocals, guitars and drums all night. As a matter of fact it's probably the reason for some of my mistakes.

For example if someone is taking an unusually good guitar solo, I can get caught up in it and get lost in the progression supporting the solo.

Do I have a point?

Blue

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SeeBread said:

I've seen quite a few band dynamics in which the singer doesn't actually fulfil the role of the 'frontman'. Inter-song banter is left to another non-singing member who sometimes only has a mic for that purpose, which I've always thought was kind of funny. But whatever works for them.

I've seen Red Hot Chilli Peppers do that!

It's when forming a new band and the guitarist plays all those cheesy eighties rock anthems at full blast makes me cringe , everyone else say's oh I remember that one , lets play it , and the bass parts are just plain rubbish , just holding one note four beats to the bar  stuff throughout ,while the guitar has all the fun . I left , not to return !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, THE-NIG said:

It's when forming a new band and the guitarist plays all those cheesy eighties rock anthems at full blast makes me cringe , everyone else say's oh I remember that one , lets play it , and the bass parts are just plain rubbish , just holding one note four beats to the bar  stuff throughout ,while the guitar has all the fun . I left , not to return !

It's usually me pushing the cheesey 80's anthems! And there are some nice bass parts in a lot of them, depends what you want the band to do I guess. The cheesy 80's anthems suit our core audience perfectly 

• Like 1

Being expected to have all band communication via f***ing Facebook. Just send me a text (or, gasp! Ring me) so I don't have to trawl through pages of 'What I had for breakfast', 'Look at my new shoes', 'Isn't my cat cute'.

Also, I've forked out for the mixing desk, graphic eq, limiter etc for the vocals and we've collectively bought the rest of the PA because singer is always skint. His microphone is shagged but he never has the dosh to replace it but has just miraculously shelled out £400 for a tattoo!

Edited by Japhet

16 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Being expected to have all band communication via f***ing Facebook. Just send me a text (or, gasp! Ring me) so I don't have to trawl through pages of 'What I had for breakfast', 'Look at my new shoes', 'Isn't my cat cute'.

Messenger's great for running the band. one message to all members who can pick it up at their leisure. It's a good tool.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Sounds like band members just need to separate their personal chat and band chats. Facebook is great for organisation, there's a record of all communication that everyone can refer to. 

• Like 1