Why become a member? ×

Things that annoy you...

rushscored4

7 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

He used to complain gigs were too infrequent and under paid. Guitarist and I have worked so hard to get us on the books of a decent agency. Now that decent paying work is flying in singer continually says "hmm I'm going to have to see if my wife will let me do this one".

Hmm, I think you have to see if you can get another singer...

3 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Only thing that bugs me is our singer. He used to complain gigs were too infrequent and under paid. Guitarist and I have worked so hard to get us on the books of a decent agency. Now that decent paying work is flying in singer continually says "hmm I'm going to have to see if my wife will let me do this one".

Get his wife to join the band 😀

Other band members not investing in decent gear despite clearly having the means to do so (having to wait for the guitarist to tune up his crappy guitar after each song) It's a sure sign that they're only half interested in playing music. 

33 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Other band members not investing in decent gear despite clearly having the means to do so (having to wait for the guitarist to tune up his crappy guitar after each song) It's a sure sign that they're only half interested in playing music.

This bugs me, too. It's not necessarily that they haven't spent enough, it's that they don't know what's good value and what isn't - which also shows a lack of interest.

For example, my HB Strat cost less than £60, but I'd put it up against any USA Strat. Nice guitar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, discreet said:

This bugs me, too. It's not necessarily that they haven't spent enough, it's that they don't know what's good value and what isn't - which also shows a lack of interest.

For example, my HB Strat cost less than £60, but I'd put it up against any USA Strat. Nice guitar.

Or not knowing how to use their guitar. Playing rhythm and lead using the same pick up - volume settings . Not knowing how to use their pedals etc.

It's a little thing, but it's not having a setlist and/or having one and not sticking to it. Two problems...

1. I'm deaf and never hear what the next song is and spend the bit between songs hissing, "FFS, what bloody song are we doing next?"

2. Panic sets in that nobody will dance and all the "dancey" songs get used up in the middle of the set. Result is ending the night with a couple of slow Pink Floyd numbers and slinking off apologetically.

;-)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Quilly said:

Or not knowing how to use their guitar. Playing rhythm and lead using the same pick up.

Nothing wrong with that! A Les Paul might label their pickup switch as rhythm and lead, but they are only suggestions. I've only played in bands with one guitarist and don't ever recall them switching pickups for a solo. It would take too long to warm the soldering iron up for a start (badum tish!).

15 hours ago, Quilly said:

Or not knowing how to use their guitar. Playing rhythm and lead using the same pick up - volume settings . Not knowing how to use their pedals etc.

Oh yes, forgot that one.

I've been spoilt rotten in the past by having played with a superb & sensitive ex pro guitarists, with no ego problems. Unfortunately he gave up banding and the current guitarist, although generally very good and a good egg, seems to play everything at the same volume, irrespsctive of what's required. THis is a fairly new line up so when we're better aquainted I'll say something about it (and no doubt he'll have things to point out to me as well).

A classic example is something like the start of China Grove where there's a couple of loud chords with a sort of much quieter echo (I think by a different guitarist in the original), but this bloke plays it all at the same volume, which, to my ear doesn't sound as good.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 03:49, rushscored4 said:

She sometimes drinks too much white wine and forgets where she is in songs and sings the chorus during verses and vice versa (not helped by being as blind as a bat but refusing to wear her glasses so she can't read her songbook...)

Totally inexcusable. Either she'd be out of the band or I would.

• Like 1

Guitarist - a nice guy and  a pretty decent player, but... 

He suffers from the usual guitard volume control issues. He has 2 amps, one for lead and one for rhythm (as you do), with an extra extension cab thrown in for good measure... it is quite the 'wall of sound' at times.

He also has a pedal board the size of a small principality. Invariably, as part of his low grade river dance performance, he will hit the wrong pedal, usually during some critical point in a quieter song, creating the sound of a flock seagulls being macerated by a combine harvester.

The sheer number of pedals (20 +, I tried counting them all but got bored) also results in frequent patch lead/power failures, again leading to new and exciting 'sound textures' in unexpected places.

At rehearsals, he frequently launches into an unnecessary solo performance of some dubious cover version (Phil bloody Collins anyone?) between our tunes, and seems to find this highly amusing. We are an all originals band. No one else is laughing much.

Like I said,  generally a nice guy, but hard work at times...

Edited by JellyKnees
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Les said:

Much of the above is enough to send me on a killing spree.

I note the word 'spree' is only ever used in 'killing spree' OR 'shopping spree'... although this morning I went on an impromptu 'farting spree'. Does this count?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, discreet said:

I note the word 'spree' is only ever used in 'killing spree' OR 'shopping spree'... although this morning I went on an impromptu 'farting spree'. Does this count?

A farting spree is not going anywhere good... usually ends in a Code Brown.

2 hours ago, JellyKnees said:

At rehearsals, he frequently launches into an unnecessary solo performance of some dubious cover version (Phil bloody Collins anyone?) between our tunes, and seems to find this highly amusing. We are an all originals band. No one else is laughing much

Try that but with traditional Polish folk music.... For a rock covers band

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Totally inexcusable. Either she'd be out of the band or I would.

She's a good singer and the males in the audience like her but yes it's pretty unprofessional. It's totally down to nerves as she's never sang with a band before and although we're a really friendly bunch I think she's still not completely comfortable around us.

Our drummer lives near her so he gives her a lift to and from every gig. He was going to have a few quiet words in her ear after last Saturday night's gig when she screwed up at least one song very badly because she'd drank too much. Mind you it was at her sister's pub and her friends and family were just as bevied and up singing and dancing alongside her but that's not the point.

Edited by rushscored4

1 minute ago, rushscored4 said:

We're called the Reform, Les. Mainly play around Manchester and Stockport but we have been known to venture to far flung exotic places like Atherton! :biggrin:

What's your band?

I know of you pal, heard good things.

• Thanks 1