Why become a member? ×

Dirty switch?

Zampa

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help...I have a Laney RBG400 combo amp....when I play certain notes I get a crackling sound which resembles the sound a dirty switch makes when you turn it up and down (sometimes clearing it) the offending controls on the amp seem to be the 'gain' and volume' ones...sometimes the sound cuts off completely as I play a string

Is there anything I can do to cure this or should it go into for repair?...I might even part ex it due to the mrs moaning about the space it takes up etc...

Any suggestions for something smaller with a deep sound by the way?

Cheers

I was hoping you'd found a switch I could fit to my wife.  :ph34r:

Sounds like it may be dry solder somewhere.  If you don't know what to look for, then it may be worth getting someone who can give you a quote.  

• Like 1

With a bit of luck it'll be a send or return socket, even the headphone socket. Where they sit never used, the contacts stay shut and get corroded. Get any cable plug, spray it with contact cleaner or even a very little wipe with WD40 on a cloth and insert into every socket there is on the front and back (preferably either switched off or with the volume down) a few times.

Could be the vibrations are affecting one or more.

• Like 1

If that doesn't do the biz, then it may well be simply a dirty pot or two. Dead easy fix, unplug from the mains and undo every screw you can see until the head comes loose from the box. It will come out either forwards or backwards, be aware. Pull it out just far enough to access the back of the pots on the panel and spray a good contact cleaner via the straw into each slot on each pot casing while you turn the knob left and right. 

As for making a cab more bassy, I've had excellent accidental success more than once with a port tube from eBay. I'm the first to admit it is more than a science to get the formula right for speaker size, internal cab volume, port length, size etc but I've transformed a Fender Rumble 15 1 X 8" with a 4" rear port, a Stagg 40w 2 X 10" with two 3" rear ports and a Hartke B20 1 X 8" with two 2" front ports into incredible huge sounding little beggars for about five quid and half hour with an electric jigsaw. Basically, anywhere in the rear panel is good but I found either dead centre or one (or two) of the corners works a treat. I only put two in the Hartke cos there were already two 2" holes there.

In a bigger cab, why not have a go with four 3" one in each corner? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for that...sorry I missed the notification about your post.

I will certainly try that..I have some switch cleaner..

I may well be selling the amp now, (on the wifes orders!!) but obviously I need to getting it all working as it should be..I also have a really annoying loud vibrating rattle when I play some notes..it sounds like a dog with laryngitis coughing!!...no cracks on the actual speaker, as far as I can see so something may be loose inside..not the easiest things to access though are they!!

Thanks for your help and guidance

On 30/04/2018 at 02:51, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You can obey your wife or you can obey the laws of physics. In this case it's very much an either or situation. Do you know what they call blokes who can use a small combo? Guitar players.

I hear this advice in the voice of Scotty, from Star Trek. Am I the only one? :)