Why become a member? ×

Hi from Leicester, UK

Rewi61

Hi all. I'm a novice bass player, and an old geezer (56) to boot. First picked up a bass just over 3 years ago as a total beginner. Since then have been working hard to get up to speed asap, using a mix of online resources, books and some personal tuition. Loving all things bass and wishing I'd done this 40 years ago. Now I've built up some little ability, some theoretical knowledge, and a bit of a repertoire (mainly stuff like Rolling Stones, Beatles, Bob Marley, Police, also a few jazz tunes...you get the picture). Feeling like I could now start to play with other musicians, but having no idea how to go about finding them! Any advice welcome. None of my old mates are musicians.

Gear-wise I started with a beginners set of Fender Squire P-bass and a 15W Fender Rumble practice amp combo, which has been great. I've just upgraded the amp to an Ampeg BA-115. Next thinking of upgrading the bass, but with so much choice out there - how do you go about it? I'm often relying on Bass magazine reviews for guidance. The Roger Waters Signature Fender P-Bass looks like maybe a good option - any thoughts? Anyway, it's great to be part of the bass community! Cheers

Good evening, Rewi, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. Old geezer, my eye. Young whippersnapper, I'd say. There's quite a few of us here who've long forgotten what it was like to be 58..! :$

Hello and welcome! As Geek99 said, there’s a bass bash on Enderby (have a look in the Events section for details) which is a good opportunity to try out lots of different bass gear and meet other bassists. You’ll find people of all abilities and playing styles and he atmosphere is very relaxed.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been playing 18months, did my first gig 2 months later. I was lucky to have people at work who played. The advice above is good and I would add that it’s well worth going to all the local Jam nights, you find an odd mix of people there but it’s always worth chatting to anyone there.