Why become a member? ×

Wall or floor rack

J66Bass

19 minutes ago, J66Bass said:

Thanks I like to know more what people think , I used it for space too but  could it damage the bass by wall hanging ? 

No! Like it was pointed in many threads before, the tension put in the neck by the strings is way bigger than the weight of the bass hanging by the headstock. Just don't try to swing yourself around the room tarzan-style using the bass as a rope. I'm sure the wall hanger would brake and you could hurt yourself in the fall (the bass would be fine though).

There seems to be more chance of the bass being damaged by the hanger falling out of the wall. There's an old thread here:

It's advised not to hang an instrument on an external wall in case of temperature or humidity changes, but I'm not sure if that's still true with properly insulated walls. External walls are more likely to be structurally strong enough.

• Like 1

Thanks I have hanged my bass for a while now and never had issue with the neck BUT I can of wanted to know what people think and if you are more likely to cause structural damage to a bass by hanging then instead of rack them in , I’m not talking about me hanging on them LOL Thanks 

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice collection 

Thanks, cheap and cheerful mostly!

1 minute ago, GuyR said:

Until the laws of gravity change, a floor rack removes an element of risk.

Proper fixings are essential, mine are fixed to rock-hard stone walls with double wall plug depth holes and really long screws.

My wall hangars are not going to fall down any time soon. All my unplayed instruments are in their cases. When practising, I use floor stands. There's no 'right/wrong/better'; it all depends. In some folks homes (renting..?) one cannot drill the walls, others have toddlers and dogs to contend with, so...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Not questioning your diy credentials!!! 🙂

It's cool I wasn't offended :)

1 minute ago, rushscored4 said:

That looks like an ultra rare MIJ Fender PB-551 on the wall far right!

Close - it's a PJ 555, but is a JDM model. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

It's cool I wasn't offended :)

Close - it's a PJ 555, but is a JDM model. 

Funnily enough my PB-551 was in a very similar condition when I bought it off eBay years ago. In fact it still is and I added some stickers myself but I love it's mojo!

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:43, Reggaebass said:

Hi that’s true I have an old cottage style house and hung my bass on a outside  wall and didn’t play that one for a few weeks and it did have a slight damp mark on the back. I now have all my basses on internal walls 

I have a dehumidifier I've had the most expensive one on the market but I know have one from screw fix cost £99 3 years ago ,cuts down on heating costs as well as it easier to heat dry air .