Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

3 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Would these work as fretless? There is nothing intrinsically limiting about that is there?

Have you heard about violins, haven't you... joking aside, I played Guild Ashbory that has very convincing sound for its size. It is just too short for my hands. I am no violinist. My current fretless is 36".

Yeah, I have had 12 years of violin training [twitch, twitch] and it has taught me never to assume with an new (to me) format. It looks like a grown up uke. I see loads of potential in this.

I ask about fretless because I decided to play fretted bass as little as possible.

Do any commercial luthiers out there even tackle this kind of weird and wonderful?

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Yeah, I have had 12 years of violin training [twitch, twitch] and it has taught me never to assume with an new (to me) format. It looks like a grown up uke. I see loads of potential in this.

I ask about fretless because I decided to play fretted bass as little as possible.

Do any commercial luthiers out there even tackle this kind of weird and wonderful?

Cue photos of Ped's Wing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

Want one of those basses i prefer headless personally just to keep it as short as possible.

Would these work as fretless? There is nothing intrinsically limiting about that is there?

I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t work as a fretless - I’ll have to make one and see!! I haven’t tried one of these bridges with flats or nylon wrapped strings yet - would have to see how the head clamp thing would grip them.

I’ve also thought about removing the normal saddles and replacing them with a piezo to see what that would be like.

Too many ideas, too little time...!!

15 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t work as a fretless - I’ll have to make one and see!! I haven’t tried one of these bridges with flats or nylon wrapped strings yet - would have to see how the head clamp thing would grip them.

I’ve also thought about removing the normal saddles and replacing them with a piezo to see what that would be like.

If you are repeatedly able to make necks to such tight tolerances as you've already demonstrated, surely you need only make a neck to test the notion?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

You need someone to buy your old tinybasses to make room for new ideas. Or people to commish you for new basses to make it worthwhile for your time to explore new ideas. 

This is a big, fat, unsubtle hint...

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

@Manton Customs had a bright red tiny bass at the Midlands Bass Bash on Saturday. If I remember correctly it was more of a demonstration piece than a new product line, but you could contact them and ask if they would make to order. There is a photo of me playing it rather badly on the forum for that event. The guitar sound is lovely, but I personally struggled with the small size 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

You need someone to buy your old tinybasses to make room for new ideas. Or people to commish you for new basses to make it worthwhile for your time to explore new ideas. 

This is a big, fat, unsubtle hint...

You are quite right! I think I need to reduce my bass collection!! I’ve got a bass to finish then I’ll have sort out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

You are quite right! I think I need to reduce my bass collection!! I’ve got a bass to finish then I’ll have sort out...

And then use the proceeds to take Mrs_TG on a fabulous holiday, thus also justifying your hobby further. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Wow.

The implication is that Jabba's basses are turning folk to knife crime just to get to the head of the queue to own one.

Nice.

They may well be worth it...

as for @PunkPonyPrincess's offer of my kidney, looks like I need to watch my back.

Edited by TheGreek

On 06/05/2019 at 22:18, SpondonBassed said:

As I said on Saturday; You've definitely got a sharp eye for this craft.

May I ask?  When you set out your first sketches do you have a clear image in your mind of what you're aiming for?

This is the original sketch I did for this bass. As you can see, there are a number of different outlines I scribbled then rubbed out bits and scribbled more....

8wUSJiv.jpg?2

You can also see the outline of a MM pickup I was originally thinking about.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Thanks 1