Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

On 21/03/2019 at 11:12, owen said:

Your scale, but tuned at bass pitch - hmmmmmm..............

I saw that. How is it possible without having very floppy strings? I assumed the strings would have had a much thicker guage to make up for short scale, bit they're normal. I'm confused...

I have restrung the first bass with the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set to be able to tune it to normal EADG bass tuning. I did originally have a set of old strings on there from a four string set and had it tuned to EADG too. It worked quite well and the string tension was fine and not floppy at all  but I found the adjustments to tune it could be very small hence trying the 5 string set at the same tuning, which d seem better in that regard. I can see how the strings on that Bee Bas Bay-Bee would be okay at standard tuning having tried something similar at a very similar scale!

I will try some other four string sets on it at some point to see how gauges affect it or even strings designed for short scale basses. I'll post the results when I do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today's job is to turn these parts into a working bass. Got to cut and polish the finish first without going through it!! Quite a bit to do but should get it done in time for the bash tomorrow.

aYq4nDq.jpg?1

Apparently, when this is done I need to return the dining room table back to it's proper use (whatever that is), tidy up then 'put all my sh*t in the garage where it belongs'...…….Mrs_the_gut is very tolerant of my hobby so don't want to push it too far. Don't think too many others would put up with this in the corner of the dining room for the past 6 months.....!!

3CTNqQU.jpg

• Like 6

Egg, chips, beans and a finished shortie. Who says the dining table can't be used for both?

QPMkSR1.jpg

Had a few issues getting this done - just went through the finish slightly in one place so will redo that after the bash. Apart from that it works, needs a little more setting up but I'll do that at the bash tomorrow. See you t there!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Egg, chips, beans and a finished shortie. Who says the dining table can't be used for both?

QPMkSR1.jpg

Had a few issues getting this done - just went through the finish slightly in one place so will redo that after the bash. Apart from that it works, needs a little more setting up but I'll do that at the bash tomorrow. See you t there!

Man I’ve got to have one of these...

Having had the joy of playing this rather too much, they sound remarkably like other basses! I know that sounds stupid but I was expecting them to sound somehow 'small', but they didn't. This one sounds a bit thinner and quieter than the brown one, more like a jazz, but that could be down to the strings, i believe this one had lighter strings (unless I am missremembering, which is quite likely). I was also surprised at just how high up you could play these things, ok, not all the way to the top fret, it gets a bit crowded around there and there is a lot of wood once you get to where the neck joins. But the access is really good. 

But the really good thing is once you start playing it, you don't really want to stop.