Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

On 04/03/2019 at 22:19, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've decide to take the suggestion made by @TheGreek, @Andyjr1515, @wrinkleygit to use magnets to hold the control cover on. I've used neodymium magnets in the body and in the cover.

nB6IkPP.jpg

fo5L3i0.jpg?1

I have to say, I do like the way this leaves the back of the bass very clean with only the bolt holes for the neck visible. I haven't put a notch in the body to allow this to be removed as it shouldn't need to be taken off but if necessary, a cocktail stick through the jack socket will do the job. Just trying to leave the back as clean as possible.

Cu1pI7M.jpg

So thanks chaps, a good idea that I will implement on other basses!

You got a link for those magnets @Jabba_the_gut please? 👌

Fitted a pair of black metal knobs to this to finish it off. Got a comment about this bass at the SE Bash last year that the EMG knobs looked cheap and I completely agree - they're not even what I would call quality mouldings especially the stacked knob. Shame really as the rest of their kit is first class in my opinion. The stacked knob looked a little too tall on this small bodied bass so I filed a couple of mm off the top knob and I think it looks quite a bit better. 

I think that is all the little jobs complete on this one and need to wait a little before I can do any work on the finish of the other shortie so on with the semi hollow basses to get them progressed as far as I can for the SW Bass Bash.

MWB2tkJ.jpg?1

• Like 8

It isn't the best name anyone could have thought of but I think the bridge looks okay on these. I have dismantled, filed, tidied up and resprayed these bridges and they look and feel much better than standard.

You could veneer the cover, though I'm not certain how good the bond would be between the wood and metal in the long term, or you could make an entirely new cover from wood but that would need to be a few mm thicker in my opinion to have reasonable strength.

What I plan to do is to mill out the box with the logo in and replace it with an inlay with my logo as there is nowhere else on the bass for one. It won't be done before the upcoming bass bashes but I think that will be the most practical and classy.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

To paraphrase Ped, I vaguely remember seeing a bass where a matching veneer had been added to the bridge, hiding the "Overlord" logo. Made it look much classier...

Wasn't that Saved?

On reflection, no.  I can't remember either Mick, sorry.

Edited by SpondonBassed

It was Bastav's (very nice) Wingnut bass. The plate was replaced by a wooden cover (not veneered - made from the same wood as the fretboard if I recall) but had to be screwed in place from the top as the original fixings are in the metal cover.

For my basses, I don't want any screw heads showing on top and for a cover I would want to use the book matched wood from the top with the grain running the same direction as the body which would make it weak, hence looking at milling and inlaying in the future.

Cheers

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Saved said:

Sure it wasn't me.

My headless bridge looks awful.

I must replace it eith individual headless bridge system

Sorry Saved.  I had my wires crossed when I quoted you prior to editing my post.

As a matter of fact, what made me realise it wasn't you was that I remembered being impressed by the metalwork that you did for your build.  It ain't pretty but it works.

In some ways, it is nice to see that sort of work in contrast to the pretty stuff.  If it was me, I'd keep your Navarone as it is and do another one with the improvements built in from scratch.  With what you learned in this build it should go more quickly and smoothly (if you're lucky).  The prototype should be preserved as it is for posterity.

Sorry Jez,  I'm getting a bit of a rep for thread diversions elsewhere so I'll cut it short.

Edited by SpondonBassed

19 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Fitted a pair of black metal knobs to this to finish it off. Got a comment about this bass at the SE Bash last year that the EMG knobs looked cheap and I completely agree - they're not even what I would call quality mouldings especially the stacked knob. Shame really as the rest of their kit is first class in my opinion. The stacked knob looked a little too tall on this small bodied bass so I filed a couple of mm off the top knob and I think it looks quite a bit better. 

I think that is all the little jobs complete on this one and need to wait a little before I can do any work on the finish of the other shortie so on with the semi hollow basses to get them progressed as far as I can for the SW Bass Bash.

MWB2tkJ.jpg?1

Absolutely stunning 😎

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

What I plan to do is to mill out the box with the logo in and replace it with an inlay with my logo as there is nowhere else on the bass for one. It won't be done before the upcoming bass bashes but I think that will be the most practical and classy.

Absolutely genius ;) 

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

t was Bastav's (very nice) Wingnut bass. The plate was replaced by a wooden cover (not veneered - made from the same wood as the fretboard if I recall) but had to be screwed in place from the top as the original fixings are in the metal cover.

c1mGBse.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Sorry Saved.  I had my wires crossed when I quoted you prior to editing my post.

Dont worry dude :i-m_so_happy:

BTW i like these short scale builds,maybe one day i build something like these but..a lil bit longer:P

5 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

Loving these (as usual for your stuff) @Jabba_the_gut

When and where is this SW bass bash you allude to?

Cheers!

The full details for the SW Bass Bash are in the 'Events' section - well worth a visit just for the lovely food!! It's on Sunday 7th April at The Memorial Hall TA2 8JY just outside Cheddon Fitzpaine village (I would paste the link to the events page but I'm not sure how to do it!!)

I've been for the past two years and have really enjoyed it. Lots of nice people and a variety of different gear.

Cheers

Jez

• Like 1