Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

Managed to get on with some more work on this today. I have been doing quite a bit on this prior to today but that is just sanding and doesn't make for the most interesting of posts!! I've also been doing quite a bit of work on the Telecaster I'm putting together for a friend of mine (guitar teacher neighbour).

I have started sealing the body for spraying and given it a quite coat on the top as this will probably require a fair bit of work to get a really nice finish.

Today, I've fretted the neck using a small arbor press and a fret caul. I was quite lucky that a friend who worked at an engineering firm was able to modify the press to accept that caul. I've used this press for fretting all of my basses and I much prefer it to trying to use a hammer - it is much easier and more accurate but it is also more expensive than a hammer...

Note the best pictures, I'll take some more tomorrow, but this is where I am currently at:

mebpJC7.jpg?2

And here it is with the other shorty:

yrxHpjk.jpg

I'm also eagerly checking the status of the delivery for the Nova headless bridge I've ordered - really looking forward to that!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Managed to get on with some more work on this today. I have been doing quite a bit on this prior to today but that is just sanding and doesn't make for the most interesting of posts!! I've also been doing quite a bit of work on the Telecaster I'm putting together for a friend of mine (guitar teacher neighbour).

I have started sealing the body for spraying and given it a quite coat on the top as this will probably require a fair bit of work to get a really nice finish.

Today, I've fretted the neck using a small arbor press and a fret caul. I was quite lucky that a friend who worked at an engineering firm was able to modify the press to accept that caul. I've used this press for fretting all of my basses and I much prefer it to trying to use a hammer - it is much easier and more accurate but it is also more expensive than a hammer...

Note the best pictures, I'll take some more tomorrow, but this is where I am currently at:

mebpJC7.jpg?2

Incredible the way the wood grain mirrors the pickup, what an amazing coincidence they match (as well as great placement!) 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

mebpJC7.jpg?2

And here it is with the other shorty:

yrxHpjk.jpg

I'm also eagerly checking the status of the delivery for the Nova headless bridge I've ordered - really looking forward to that!

Oh, my goodness...

• Like 1

I've decide to take the suggestion made by @TheGreek, @Andyjr1515, @wrinkleygit to use magnets to hold the control cover on. I've used neodymium magnets in the body and in the cover.

nB6IkPP.jpg

fo5L3i0.jpg?1

I have to say, I do like the way this leaves the back of the bass very clean with only the bolt holes for the neck visible. I haven't put a notch in the body to allow this to be removed as it shouldn't need to be taken off but if necessary, a cocktail stick through the jack socket will do the job. Just trying to leave the back as clean as possible.

Cu1pI7M.jpg

So thanks chaps, a good idea that I will implement on other basses!

• Like 5

I've filed the angles on the edges of the frets using a home made block - basic but does the job!

cFrW740.jpg?1

I've filled the fret ends with a mixture of epoxy and ebony dust. This should give a nice finish to the edges of the fretboard.

ja1UEPQ.jpg

Next task will be to level and polish the frets and then to lacquer the neck. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've decide to take the suggestion made by @TheGreek, @Andyjr1515, @wrinkleygit to use magnets to hold the control cover on. I've used neodymium magnets in the body and in the cover.

nB6IkPP.jpg

fo5L3i0.jpg?1

I have to say, I do like the way this leaves the back of the bass very clean with only the bolt holes for the neck visible. I haven't put a notch in the body to allow this to be removed as it shouldn't need to be taken off but if necessary, a cocktail stick through the jack socket will do the job. Just trying to leave the back as clean as possible.

Cu1pI7M.jpg

So thanks chaps, a good idea that I will implement on other basses!

They say that the simple ideas are always the best.

Instead of hunting around for a screwdriver, dropping the screws and spending ages looking for them you can hook a finger nail underneath and open the cavity. Saves sooo much time and angst.

I know @Andyjr1515 didn't "invent" this but he sure as hell makes sure that it gets used to make life easier.

• Like 4

On 20/02/2019 at 20:22, Jabba_the_gut said:

They do look very nice. I've gone for an 18mm spacing 5 string version in black. Will post the details on here when the postie drops it through the letterbox. Might use it for a shortie or might use it for something else.....

Excited!! Got the card through the door that my headless parcel is here. Just got to find a way to go to collect it from the sorting office ( who don’t have the most flexible opening times...). 

• 2 weeks later...

Neck sanding done and satin lacquer applied. Really pleased how this is looking....just need to get the rest of it finished!!

bntEyCl.jpg

As a little future experiment, I'm going to make another neck for this or the other shortie but with a scale length of somewhere around 30" just to see how a normal short scale feels on a headless bass. I've quite enjoyed building a couple medium/short scale basses and like the way they feel so I'm curious to what a 30" headless would be like. That's the trouble with this building lark, there's always the next bass and always something else to try!!

• Like 5

On 05/03/2019 at 17:25, Jabba_the_gut said:

Excited!! Got the card through the door that my headless parcel is here. Just got to find a way to go to collect it from the sorting office ( who don’t have the most flexible opening times...). 

I've picked up the headless parcel and the bridge looks nice. I bought a five string bridge and head piece and also a four string headpiece to try as an alternative to the ones used in these builds. The Nova headpiece has a single large grub screw to retain the strings so would be a lot less faff than these ones with the grub screws and clamp. Not really had anytime to look at it properly but will stick some picture and comments on here when I do!!

2 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've picked up the headless parcel and the bridge looks nice. I bought a five string bridge and head piece and also a four string headpiece to try as an alternative to the ones used in these builds. The Nova headpiece has a single large grub screw to retain the strings so would be a lot less faff than these ones with the grub screws and clamp. Not really had anytime to look at it properly but will stick some picture and comments on here when I do!!

I'd like to see how you get on with the single retaining feature on the Nova.  I have doubts about its stability but that is just a notion of my own.

18 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd like to see how you get on with the single retaining feature on the Nova.  I have doubts about its stability but that is just a notion of my own.

I know what you mean - it's not something you think about with double ball end strings but they only come in 34" scale (double ball end strings are so convenient and quick to change). The Nova headpiece clamp is similar to what I've seen on other headless basses using single ball end strings so should be a tried and tested approach. 

Here's the two head pieces side by side for reference. The Nova is a nice looking piece of work isn't it?!

98g6Obi.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Here's the two head pieces side by side for reference. The Nova is a nice looking piece of work isn't it?!

It is.  It's almost as decorative as a headstock!

Those large grub screws are reassuring.  The large size means a larger footprint, a larger Allen key and greater longevity.

I'd still want to swap those for Torx screws but it means using a less common tool for string changes.  Perhaps not a great advantage having close tolerance torxies if you've lost the key to them.

Looking fantastic. Really amazing. 

RE the magnetic covers, I can’t remember where I saw it but I remember a bass with one where to remove the cover you pressed down on one section and the cover popped up. Neat! 

• Like 1