Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

Got to do some shaping on this today. I really enjoy doing this shape, it just appeals to the engineer in me!!

First bit of rough shaping  of the first half of the neck:

95368mA.jpg

Shaping done with the Shinto rasp, a smaller rasp and a round file:

DrppkOD.jpg

Into the vice for the second half that can't be reached with the body in place:

X6R0N59.jpg

And the neck ready to round the fretboard and install the frets:

j1GJlcW.jpg?1

GnfUBTZ.jpg?1

qyBZ19A.jpg?1

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I’ve had a couple of people ask me about 5 string version so I just ordered a headless system. Something a little different- I’ll post more when it arrives.....

Whose 5 string system have you gone for, Jez?  Same one?  I saw how pricey Steinberger systems are and wow...price of a small maisonette!

The headless systems can be really expensive- The Steinberger jobs that Hohner used can be bought as spares and are about as cheap as I have found for a 5 string. But the main problem with those is that the headpiece only accepts double ball end strings which is not an option on this short things. Hipshot do a headpiece but is very expensive, ETS do one which is more reasonably priced, but there isn't a massive choice!

For the four string ones in this build are using the bridges widely available on eBay and are very reasonably priced - but they don't do a five string version.

I have come across another supplier of headless parts that are comparable in cost with a decent standard headed bridge and tuners. So I've taken a punt as it looked interesting (and the guy that makes them has been helpful).....

More details to follow...

• Like 2