Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

• 2 weeks later...

Done a few more bits and pieces on this in the last couple of days. I've finally settled on a EMG35 sized pickup for this as it suits the design. I've got an EMG35DC from another bass I'm going to use for this. So first thing is to make a template for the pickup route. I used my standard approach of nailing little bits of wood to make the pickup outline then using a router template cutter to cut this neatly. It sounds a bit crude but it makes very neat templates and I've found these to be accurate to within about 0.2mm.

wjfsCTL.jpg?1

wL8dsCm.jpg?1

This ends up with a template looking like this:

6vKQN92.jpg

And a pickup route like this:

esCvUI6.jpg

I also made a cover for the control cavity:

VF0qGp4.jpg?1

Next task is a load of sanding......

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 6

I've done plenty of sanding today and put the first coat of oil on. This first coat of oil is quite light and will show up any little flaws - there are a few that need sanding but generally I'm quite pleased so far. The top has got dome depth to in in quite a few places. I've assembled it again just to see how it looks together, took a few pictures and then dismantled it again to carry on working on the finish.

NVbHwyP.jpg

Q6KtUGt.jpg

1vzv9sj.jpg

• Like 6

Very yes. Remind me how you are hoping to string it? I have a 5 string Uke bass which is vaguely the same scale strung with Kala nylon core/metal wrap strings. I am at standard bass guitar pitch. The only issue is I do not think there is enough metal in them to interest a magnetic pickup.

5 minutes ago, owen said:

Very yes. Remind me how you are hoping to string it? I have a 5 string Uke bass which is vaguely the same scale strung with Kala nylon core/metal wrap strings. I am at standard bass guitar pitch. The only issue is I do not think there is enough metal in them to interest a magnetic pickup.

It's a bit of an experiment but my plan is to use the lower four strings from a five string set which should (by my calculations so may well be wrong1) give me standard EADG tuning. I've also got some other strings I will try that are much lighter - might possibly get EADG from them but an octave up. Will also try standard strings which should give BEAD an octave up. Will be a bit if trial and error to see what works and sounds best.

Cheers

Jez

1 minute ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

It's a bit of an experiment but my plan is to use the lower four strings from a five string set which should (by my calculations so may well be wrong1) give me standard EADG tuning. I've also got some other strings I will try that are much lighter - might possibly get EADG from them but an octave up. Will also try standard strings which should give BEAD an octave up. Will be a bit if trial and error to see what works and sounds best.

Cheers

Jez

If it's any use, I use a EADGC set on my 5er but tuned BEADG. Then again mine is 16" scale but this works really well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

If it's any use, I use a EADGC set on my 5er but tuned BEADG. Then again mine is 16" scale but this works really well.

Thanks @ped. That's is interesting to know - I'll be interested myself to see how this turns out!! I should have this one finished for the SE Bass Bash so folk can have a play with it and see what they think. That's the trouble with bass bashes though - this project started after I had a quick go on your Wingbass last year!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Thanks @ped. That's is interesting to know - I'll be interested myself to see how this turns out!! I should have this one finished for the SE Bass Bash so folk can have a play with it and see what they think. That's the trouble with bass bashes though - this project started after I had a quick go on your Wingbass last year!!!

Yours looks every bit as good! Unfortunately I can't make the bash this year so you'll have to 'rep the 'sub 25" scale' club!

Last few pictures from this build. First up is the shielding of the control cavity, I've found the self adhesive copper sheet easy enough to work with. I have found two distinct thicknesses of it but both seem to stick equally well. You can also see from this picture how it would be very difficult to drill frim the control cavity to the battery box at this point - much easier to pre-drill holes before assembling the two halves of the body.

xahFlSS.jpg

I've fitted an EMG 35 DC pickup and EMG 2 band preamp. Will see how it performs before I decide if they are staying. EMG active pickups do not need a grounding wire to the bridge - there is a wire connected to the bridge but it does not connect to anything. It is just there if I decide to change to a different type of pickup at a later date. I bought a cheap box of crimp connectors so I can make up my own interconnects to suit the EMG parts. It's fairly tight in there to work - the plug together parts have made this a bit easier!

XncyDUu.jpg

I had to route a small recess into the neck pocket for the wire off the pickup. This is an older EMG pickup that does not have quick connect plugs; it has a wire out of the back of it that just needed a little more depth.

2lJEOt6.jpg

With the exception of the screws to hold the control cavity cover in place, all of the assembly is complete. It does need a bit of setting up and fret levelling but it is not too far off the mark at this point.

Only frustration is that I haven't really got opportunity to play it through an amp at the moment - that will have to wait until the weekend. I'm also still trying to finish another bass for the weekend but that still has lots to be done!!

aZ0jfy9.jpg

• Like 8