Why become a member? ×

Short Scale 'Thing' (23" scale Headless 4 string)

Jabba_the_gut

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Met up with another BCer today who DOESN'T follow the build threads....couldn't imagine that...they say there's nothing queer as folk.

17 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I hope you drove him out of town with torches and pitchforks!! 😁 

Pretty much the only board I read...

Edited by Si600
  • Haha 1

On 30/06/2018 at 13:41, wrinkleygit said:

Always had a thing for a headless bass, 30" scale sounds tempting. The Fretless is going down a storm by the way, this looks just as good will be interesting to hear how that scale length sounds, keep up the good work, Mike 

Hi Mike,

Glad you're liking the fretless! I'd quite like to do a 30" version of this headless thing in the future . Preferably I'd like to use double ball and strings as they are a lot less faff than a clamp. Will have to look to see if anyone makes such strings first.

All the best 

Jez

This is the damage to the other neck where the router snatched at it:

FMCLMWp.jpg

It won't be seen but I'll have a go at fixing it anyway. I cleaned the sides with a chisel and cut a small piece of the neck offcut and shaped it to suit. It looks okay but not perfect.

zS8qyVR.jpg?1

K3hW4XW.jpg?1

I'll tidy that up then fit the threaded inserts.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Hi Jez, double balls only available in 34" scale, Newtone may do other lengths to order but I suspect cost may be prohibitive , string clamps should be ok with conventional strings. I think the Kidd Carryon Eubs use D'addario ground wounds on a 30" scale with a clamp arrangement I also remember an add on clamp used to be available for the Hohner & Steinberg range of headless basses to allow them to use conventional strings, looking forward to the next instalment , Mike .

8 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

Hi Jez, double balls only available in 34" scale, Newtone may do other lengths to order but I suspect cost may be prohibitive , string clamps should be ok with conventional strings. I think the Kidd Carryon Eubs use D'addario ground wounds on a 30" scale with a clamp arrangement I also remember an add on clamp used to be available for the Hohner & Steinberg range of headless basses to allow them to use conventional strings, looking forward to the next instalment , Mike .

Newtone made a set of five 34" strings for my Steinberger Spirit.  They were about forty quid five or so years ago.  Length shouldn't be an issue.  He wasn't doing tapewounds then.  Maybe he's expanding the range at his newer premises.

9 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

This is the damage to the other neck where the router snatched at it:

FMCLMWp.jpg

It won't be seen but I'll have a go at fixing it anyway. I cleaned the sides with a chisel and cut a small piece of the neck offcut and shaped it to suit. It looks okay but not perfect.

zS8qyVR.jpg?1

K3hW4XW.jpg?1

I'll tidy that up then fit the threaded inserts.

And this is why I hate routers...

Nice fix

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Not much progress as I've been working on my semi hollow basses but here's a piccie of what builds I've currently got on the go....it gives a good impression of how dinky these headless things are!!

m3vaUfj.jpg?5

PHOTO OF THE MONTH!

That photo has made me concupiscent.  I'll just sit here with a cushion in my lap for the next hour or so.  If we're picking favourites, mine's the one at the end of the photo.  When you've finished, have it washed and sent to my room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Blood and sand, Jez!

For a start they look wonderful (mine's the one at the bottom if you are sending them as free gifts to deserving sycophants :biggrin: )

Secondly - we retirees rely on you employed folks to keep us in the manner we once dreamed could have been possible until we all realised that money purchase pension schemes are just charity donations to rich financiers.  So it is always a concern if the employed tax-payers start letting their attention drift away from their prime purpose - that is of keeping the state pension provision afloat. 

So to come to the leading question - when on earth do you have time to work on your proper tax paying job if you have all those beauties on the go and should Phillip Hammond be informed?  More specifically, do I need to tighten our family's belts and hide the gin from MrsAndyjr1515?  Trust me, she's a very scary woman when she's sober!

;)

Ps. My wife's solicitors have served a cease and desist request based on the hurtful comment above.  She wishes me to clarify that she is a very scary person whether she has consumed gin or not.  I fully concur and apologise for what might have been a seen as a misleading statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Any further progress on the Short Scale Things, @Jabba_the_gut?

Hi @CameronJ. I've only done a little work on this since the last post due to other non-related bass things going on over summer but I'm hoping to get one done over the next few weeks. Ideally, I'd like to get one complete for the SE Bass Bash at the end of July.

I was doing some sanding on the maple faced on yesterday and have done the belly and arm shaping. I'll stick a couple of pictures up later today. I'm quite pleased with how it is looking and I think the birds eye neck will come to life when oiled, which would be great as the neck for this shortie is just made from the offcut of another neck.

Cheers

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:45, wrinkleygit said:

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:41, SpondonBassed said:

Newtone made a set of five 34" strings for my Steinberger Spirit.  They were about forty quid five or so years ago.  Length shouldn't be an issue.  He wasn't doing tapewounds then.  Maybe he's expanding the range at his newer premises.

Cheers chaps - I'll look into this.

• Like 1

Put some side dots on the neck as I forgot to do that earlier. Much more difficult to get them aligned after radiusing the fretboard. Won't make that mistake again....(famous last words!!).

I got the chance to fit the frets this evening. I've used thin frets for this just because it is such a short scale and I thought they might work better (not sure why!!). I've not filed the fret end or filled the ends of the fret slots, that'll be a job for tomorrow. I've also stuck some strings on it just to get an idea of angles, action etc. Needs a little bit of adjustment, probably need to drop the bridge down 1-1.5mm, but that's about it.

I'll also try some different strings; my original idea with this was to use the bottom four strings from a five string set and (hopefully) that should allow me to tune it EADG. Again, another job for tomorrow.

MVV4Niy.jpg

• Like 8