Why become a member? ×

Side dot markers are faint - stick on options?

Mokl

I've a lovely fretless Jazz which was made for me some years ago. I have an issue with the neck side dots being very faint (small clay dots on an 'aged' finish) which makes it very challenging to play in dim light.  I was wondering if any of you had any inventive solutions or could point me to some options you might have tried? I've seen various stick-on options advertised, but are they actually usable in real life?

Edited by Mokl

On 4/5/2018 at 13:40, TheGreek said:

Talk to Andyjr1515 Re: the viability of fitting Luminlay markers like those on my Psilos.

http://www.luminlay.com/productsen.html

This.

Big 3 mm diameter luminlay markers are easy to see with normal light... and can fluoresce after exposure to UV light. There's UV lighting on many stages, or get a UV lamp yourself and enjoy bright luminous dots without prior 'charging'.

I tried various stick-on solutions but they all end up moving and/or detaching. Replacing the existing markers is easier than it sounds and will look right.

22 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

I used some white rub-down dots from a US eBay seller on one particularly troublesome instrument. Unfortunately they did start to rub off after a while.

I thought about trying one of these, but never got round to it!

41Y41iLXS1L._SL1200_.jpg

I use one of those paint markers. A cheap and easy option but you do have to redo the dots every now and then!

On 05/04/2018 at 16:18, BassBunny said:

+1 for Luminlay. Have 3 basses fitted with them.

I have the same dilema at the moment and would be interested to hear who fitted the Luminlay dots for you.

Thanks

I fitted some of those Luminlay dots to my EUB for darker stages (the KK already had side dots). Mine are without the black outer ring and they are subtle but effective.

8 minutes ago, JPJ said:

I fitted some of those Luminlay dots to my EUB for darker stages (the KK already had side dots). Mine are without the black outer ring and they are subtle but effective.

I don't do subtle :), no shame in cutting down on mistakes

On 07/04/2018 at 09:46, chris_b said:

OK, I'll be the grumpy one. . . . you guys shouldn't be looking at your fingers when you're playing!!!!

If you’re just playing four chords then perhaps, but I find a quick glance now and then is necessary when reading tricky music, or jumping up to do high fills etc. 

• Like 2