Why become a member? ×

Recording on your own

tom1946

14 hours ago, adi77 said:

I think garage band especially on an ipad is hard to beat these days

(and a pair of decent headphones)

As a simple tool for putting together song ideas its fine.

For any kind of serious mixing or arranging you will definitely need a more fully featured DAW.

Personally I like Reaper, it does what I need, it comes in at the right price and it performs superbly in my experience in mixdowns upto 120 multichannel tracks with very advanced routing options.

Guest adi77
7 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

As a simple tool for putting together song ideas its fine.

For any kind of serious mixing or arranging you will definitely need a more fully featured DAW.

Personally I like Reaper, it does what I need, it comes in at the right price and it performs superbly in my experience in mixdowns upto 120 multichannel tracks with very advanced routing options.

i disagree, besides a final maximising process, maybe not even that

i havent used the one on my computer recently but i think all the vst plugins can now be used on gb, so, izotope etc. can sort that out. Could even manage without that, i have posted a track here which has nothing but processing from gb on an ipad you could check it out if interested.

3 hours ago, adi77 said:

i disagree, besides a final maximising process, maybe not even that

i havent used the one on my computer recently but i think all the vst plugins can now be used on gb, so, izotope etc. can sort that out. Could even manage without that, i have posted a track here which has nothing but processing from gb on an ipad you could check it out if interested.

Honestly. The routing options arent there to maximise yoi workflow. The processing power of even the newest tablet is not up to doing serious work. It may get there eventually but I've not seen anything that comes close yet.

I dont use izotope for mastering because I get better results using the various fx I have spent over a decade honing for that particular purpose.

Again I use Reaper for everything except getting a cd DDP image together for a cd plant. I use dedicated software for that specific part of the process. No plugins do it very well...

Guest adi77
1 minute ago, 51m0n said:

Honestly. The routing options arent there to maximise yoi workflow. The processing power of even the newest tablet is not up to doing serious work. It may get there eventually but I've not seen anything that comes close yet.

I dont use izotope for mastering because I get better results using the various fx I have spent over a decade honing for that particular purpose.

Again I use Reaper for everything except getting a cd DDP image together for a cd plant. I use dedicated software for that specific part of the process. No plugins do it very well...

I dont miss any routing options :)

better is a relative term, better for you, not for someone else who is used to software way more than hardware

i use cubase and studio one to "final touch" a mixdown, if at all

26 minutes ago, adi77 said:

I dont miss any routing options :)

better is a relative term, better for you, not for someone else who is used to software way more than hardware

i use cubase and studio one to "final touch" a mixdown, if at all

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been tracking, mixing and mastering exclusively in the box for about 15 years now 😆

Guest adi77
23 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I've been tracking, mixing and mastering exclusively in the box for about 15 years now 😆

think i misunderstood, routing options, i was thinking hardware thats integrated with daws :)

..and same :) since the dx4 chip, thats was a relief

I was referringvto Reaper's amazing internal routing.

Every track can be as many channels of audio as you need.

Any track van be a group

You can route sends of tracks in a group through extra channels in the group.

So you can have global fx tracks receiving signal via groups

Which means that you can set group volume and aux sends just on the group fader.

A group can contain grouos and tracks do you can nest things in a very logical manner.

A track can contain any type of data, audio or midi or whatever and it all just works....

Guest adi77
46 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

I was referringvto Reaper's amazing internal routing.

Every track can be as many channels of audio as you need.

Any track van be a group

You can route sends of tracks in a group through extra channels in the group.

So you can have global fx tracks receiving signal via groups

Which means that you can set group volume and aux sends just on the group fader.

A group can contain grouos and tracks do you can nest things in a very logical manner.

A track can contain any type of data, audio or midi or whatever and it all just works....

thats cool!

If im not mistaken studio one is also pretty flexible with internal routing, maybe not like reaper but not bad at all

Many posters have recommended capable software packages, generally what they use. I suggest that you ignore such suggestions as you have a MAC and you have GARAGEBAND so software and computer are taken care of. Simple interface like focusrite - perfect. You have everything you need minus recording skills.

You need to locate a GARAGEBAND user who can come round your house and take you through the software. Bet there is someone on here who could help you. I’m located in SW Spain so unless you’re coming on holiday, sorry - can’t help.

good luck, your “ah ha” moment is just around the corner!

Now I'm starting to look forward to this, as said I have a Mac and g/band so I'm going to order a 2i2 or a 2i4.

I'll also need monitor speakers so any inexpensive recommendations?

You get what you pay for I know but which ones??

thanks.

ALSO

Can anyone recommend a small keyboard to input synth/chorus type sounds please?

Edited by tom1946

To be honest, I'd stick to headphones just for now, simple cheapest ones until you have got the hang of routinely plugging instruments in , recording them , very rough mixing them .

that in my case took a big load of work :$

adding the complication of monitors at this stage would have just done my head in, you will get an array of choices and preferences , where to put them and how many thousands of pounds to spend on your room to make them sound right ^_^

Ive used Pro tools, tracktion and reaper and now my lad has an Imac, I would say garageband is the easiest way to go, especially as you own a Mac, I also have the scarlett 2i2 which works seamlessly with it, one word of warning though, you will need some monitors/speakers or headphones for playing back what you have recorded, the macs internal speakers won't cut it!

keyboard wise this is great, cheap, and again connects effortlessly to your mac  https://www.andertons.co.uk/m-audio-keystation-mini-32-note-usb-controller-keyboard-keystationmini?LGWCODE=KEYSTATIONMINI;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDYpGjk0OvNKHjXtKFx0wIp2rgfCL-Jl_Y1I_N1RTcpWNAJgFXwPWCxoC6zsQAvD_BwE

Edited by skidder652003

11 hours ago, lurksalot said:

To be honest, I'd stick to headphones just for now, simple cheapest ones until you have got the hang of routinely plugging instruments in , recording them , very rough mixing them .

^ This.

A reasonable pair of headphones will fair much better than a cheap set of monitors at double the price.

A set of Sennheiser HD280 is a great place to start (around £80). But to be honest pretty much any set of headphones will do the job to begin with. I started out on a pair of £15 no-brand cans (think I still have them somewhere!) and still do many of my rough mixes on Apple earbuds.

1 hour ago, tom1946 said:

The keyboard looks ideal, is it polyphonic? can I play etherial strings etc'? or is that done using one key? I don't know how they work and the advert doesn't say

A MIDI keyboard like this just tells your software which notes you pressed, how hard, and when you released them. What happens then is up to the software. 

In GarageBand, you can select a Software Instrument for a track. Most, such as the pianos, organs etc. will simply produce all the notes you pressed, so to play a chord you play all the notes in the chord. But some of them - typically synth pads - will play a chord from a single keypress. Some play an arpeggiated chord. Some will play a repeating pattern. They're usually named descriptively.

You can easily explore the different instruments without an external keyboard. In GarageBand, open the Window menu - Musical Typing, which maps your Mac keyboard onto a piano-like arrangement.

Edited by pineweasel

Best bang for the buck cans for recording are Studiospares m1000 . Beat speakers 5x more expensive IME.

Loads cheaper than monitors which are not really going to help much if the room isnt treated, theyll just confuse the issue to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tom1946 said:

Thanks guys, I will do that.

The keyboard looks ideal, is it polyphonic? can I play etherial strings etc'? or is that done using one key? I don't know how they work and the advert doesn't say.

yep its polyphonic in that it plays chords as you would a piano etc, but as mentioned above its a midi keyboard so doesn't contain "instruments" in the keyboard itself so to speak but thats not a problem in garageband as that has loads of keyboards and synths included in the software for free. You can also download 1000's of other instruments effects etc, many for free from here

https://www.kvraudio.com

but thats a whole other thread!

I wouldn't even think about using your computer keyboard as a "music" keyboard just grab a cheap midi keyboard as I mentioned before :)

Edited by skidder652003

36 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

anyone who thinks garageband is the same as a fully featured DAW has not used a fully featured DAW :)

IMHO YMMV etc etc

yep thats true but its great for a beginner (ie the OP) and its a nice transition into Logic (its primary purpose I suppose)

• Thanks 1