Why become a member? ×

Recording on your own

tom1946

For a long time I've wanted to record a few songs with around 5-6 instruments purely for my own amusement.

I have a Mac and said instruments but where do I start? I've never done this before and I'm aware that I need an interface to get the music from the instruments to the mac

but what to use? It needs to be simple and effective, I know Focusrite make lots of stuff but I have no idea what to buy, or software?

I have garageband somewhere and I tried that. I laid down one track and for the life of me couldn't work out how to switch the damn thing to track two. :facepalm:

Any help to get me started would be much appreciated.

tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of options for you to choose from, overwhelmingly so in fact :)

My own suggestions would be:

1. Buy a Focusrite 2i2 interface (or if you can stretch to it the 2i4). Low latency, very reliable and the best bang you'll find for your buck$.
  2. Learn how to use Garageband. Many other softwares exist, but if you're struggling with Garageband then you're really going to struggle with something more advanced. Garageband is a great place to start and once you've got the hang of it, you'll be well versed to progress to other software in future if you wish (but you might find that Garageband does everything you need). If so, Apple Logic would be the..err... logical next step.

Final word: there's no shortcut to music production. You're going to have to invest some time in learning the basics and figuring out the necessary software/hardware. I personally find YouTube tutorials much more intuitive than reading manuals.

Hope that helps and visit the Recording forum here if you have any specific questions.

• Like 1

I don't really know anything about Macs but there's a free version of Ableton live lite that apparently works if you've got the right OS

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/

As to interfaces, again I'm not sure what works with Macs but I'm currently using a cheap Behringer interface, the Guitar Link UC6102 which is as basic as it gets, it's really just for guitars, if you want to mic up other instruments or record vocals I'm not sure it's up to the job. It's also no longer supported by the manufacturer so doesn't receive software updates although that hasn't caused me any problems so far

I'm looking to upgrade to a focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 in the next couple of weeks which looks like a significant step up.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Just now, Cato said:

I don't really know anything about Macs but there's a free version of Ableton live lite that apparently works of you've got the right OS.

Ableton is great... but it's a step up from Garageband in terms of functionality and thus complexity.

To the OP: stick with Garageband. It's pretty much the easiest and most user-friendly DAW software available. Get your head around it, then consider other options if you find yourself wanting to do things that Garageband can't.

Threads like this otherwise result in options paralysis: everyone chips in with suggestions based on what they themselves are using (and very well-meaning too I might add); and you end up none the wiser :) 

It's very easy!  I'll approach this from a PC-user perspective, but it's all fairly similar.  For a small set up

1.  You'll need Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software (as covered by rubis above),
2.  You'll need an interface of some sort to get your instrumentation into your Mac (I use a two channel Pre-Sonus Audiobox USB; if I'm home-demoing, I can only play one instrument at a time) and the appropriate cables. 
3.  Unless your chosen DAW has some kind of built in drums, I'd investigate midi-drums or if you want to go the very easy route, check out real audio loops (I use Beta Monkey, Loopology or Future Loops, which are all live drums).
4.  Consider purchasing some OK-quality headphones (I use some closed-ear Senneiser cans)
5.  Consider purchasing some powered monitors, not whatever got bundled with your Mac.  I have a pair of M-Audio BX5 speakers.  They're perfectly adequate for a small/spare room setup.  I made some desktop stands to bring them up to ear height by glueing/screwing lengths of 2x2" together and screwing in isolation feet.
6.  If you're wanting to mic-up instrumentation, do your diligence and source a decent microphone for the job.  I just use a Shure SM57 for any guitars, but I also record guitars direct.  Bass I record direct.
7.  If you're singing, purchase a phantom powered microphone for vocals.  We just went with a Rode kit; it came with an isolation mount and a spit guard.  Perfectly adequate for what we wanted.

Just on the subject of DAWs, while there's a ton out there, whether you decide to go with a full-blown Pro-Tools package or something bundled with an interface, just remember that they all do pretty much the same thing.  I use an age-old version of Adove Audition and for what it doesn't do, I've formulated workarounds.  It's just a case of being of an enquiring mind.

5 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

Thanks for the input so far. It's a minefield isn't it?

I think I will dig garageband out and give it another go first, if I can work out how to shift to track two...

If you have a two-channel interface, you should be able to assign input #1 or #2 to each track.  (Same goes for a larger channel interface.)  Only arm the track you want to record and hit record.  Boom.

At the risk of fulfilling Skol's prophecy...

Computer to do the recording - Check. See above for comments re. decent monitoring.

Software - Check-ish. I use Ableton live-lite, but it only allows for 8 tracks in one project. This is fine for me, as I send parts I record elsewhere, but it could be a limiting factor.

Interface - I like the Scarlett stuff. I would recommend getting one with the most channel inputs you can afford, as this gives you the most flexibility and makes your recording efficient i.e. play once, get multiple tracks. I like to record the instrument direct (out of the amp, DI or e.g. LS2), at least one cab mic and sometimes a room mic, so that is 3 if not 4 inputs. It only takes a few minutes to set each mic up, and you greatly increase your 'productivity', even if you end up never using that particular track.

Mics - if you are not recording a guitar directly, you need to mic it's speaker, obviously. Can of worms time, but I have heard tell that budget mics aren't that much worse than mid range mics, and that you have to fork out a tonne before you really hear the benefits. SM 58/57s are a standard for a reason IMO. I also use an AKG112. They aren't too expensive, especially second hand.

Just jump in to it and learn by doing, it is pretty fun! A fine way to spend an afternoon...

Use what you’ve already got, you should have GarageBand. If for some reason you haven’t you can just download it from the App Store. 

It’s easy to use, and very good, amazing actually considering you get it free.

A good and simple interface is something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Your mac should recognise it straight off.

There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube.

I recommend cutting your hair quite short as the first thing to do . 

That way you'll have less chance of pulling it all out when you get stuck in one of those corners that will drive you mad . 

Perseverance helps :D

in the recording section here, there is a brilliant thread that helps with the basics.

i find it difficult to offer advice on a 'how to record' basis as there are so many little bits that seemed so alien to me at the start, even the language :$

i remember being given a link to a glossary of recording terminology, I would have one to hand when you watch the tutorials or read manuals. 

So much will go straight over your head that repetition is a very good thing 

2 hours ago, ben4343 said:

Mics - if you are not recording a guitar directly, you need to mic it's speaker, obviously. Can of worms time, but I have heard tell that budget mics aren't that much worse than mid range mics, and that you have to fork out a tonne before you really hear the benefits. SM 58/57s are a standard for a reason IMO. I also use an AKG112. They aren't too expensive, especially second hand.

Certainly the *right* budget mics will stand you in good stead. The cheap small-diaphragm condenser I bought from Maplins showed its limitations pretty quickly. On the other hand, the Behringer C-1 (a large diaphragm condenser) sounds excellent. It won't compete with a Neumann, but nor will anything else that only cost 40-odd quid. (It was good enough to do an acoustic solo EP, in any case...)

Recording your own songs is fun and rewarding and you only need the minimum equipment to start with. Laptop, interface, DAW and speakers or headphones (can be damaging your hearing) . Some interfaces come with a free DAW. 

You can literally record your music on the go. Of course in time you may expand on getting various plug ins , microphones etc. Possibilities are endless.

Thanks, I have SM57's and 58's for live stuff so covered there. I have G band so I'll try that and see how I get on.

I looked at a couple tutorials on toob but he went too fast to follow, a fault of a lot of tutorials.

The Focusrite 2i2 seems popular so I'm off to read about it.

I bought a Steinberg UR12, which came bundled with Cubase AI. It'll take instruments or mics, the version of Cubase came with enough VSTs for my purposes (I mostly only use drums and piano anyway). It's an absolute doddle to use. Everytime I open it there's a screen that pops up offering and upgrade for 49 Euros, basically more of everything, but I honestly don't see the need at the moment for my purposes.

55 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

I looked at a couple tutorials on toob but he went too fast to follow, a fault of a lot of tutorials.

Try to set aside at least half a day (or ideally a full day) to learn the basics of the software. Approach it in a quiet environment with no distractions and ample coffee/biscuits; just as you might do so when learning a new bassline. Once you’re over the initial hurdle it does get easier… and you’ll find that you probably only need to use/understand a very small portion of the software’s capabilities at first.

But there will be a fairly steep learning curve; that’s unavoidable. Approach it with patience and try to find YouTube tutorials that are specific to what you want to achieve. Use the tutorials to build up your first song, step by step, rather than just watching tutorials that try to explain all of the functionality in one hit. For example: start by searching for things like:

“How to set up an audio interface with Garageband”
“How to record a guitar with Garageband”
“How to add drums to a track in Garageband”

Etc.

It’s really not as difficult as it seems, unless you’re a complete newbie to using computers for anything other than email/ Basschat/ web browsing. In which case, yes you may struggle a bit.

To do a simple recording of a song as a record of what your intent is is really simple and easy, and loads of fun.

Plenty of good advice given, especially a nice decent simple interface and garageband for a start.

I warn you now, you are on a very, very slippery slope....

Two of them in fact, one is downhill all the way, this is the dangerous one, it gets steeper, and ends in financial ruin, this stuff makes bass GAS look like wanting a cup of tea compared to heroin addiction, I kid you not. Bass gear is cheap, all of it, compared to top quality recording kit. My dream is to own Manifold Recording Studios, or a UK equivalent, can we say Euromillions? IMO the finest studio build the world has ever seen. Owned by the CEO of Redhat. The desks are works of art, and the machine room is frickin' incredible (sharks with lazerbeams bad-assery at work) let alone the acoustic control in the live rooms - I may have to go and have a lie down in a minute ;). Hell the entire complex is carbon neutral and has its own solar farm to power it!

The other slope is the tricky one, where you are now it looks pretty much like a cliff face, and it too is very slippery, this is the learning curve. At first you think you know where the top is, and you can figure out with a lot of help a route there (again youtube videos are excellent ways to find out how to get there). However what looks like Mount Everest from the bottom turns out to be a pebble on the way to the summit once you get over it. This is normal, get used to it!

There is a lot to learn, and a great deal of enjoyment to be had doing so, even for simple "4 track" style pre-production recordings of demos of new tunes for the band. Getting the most out of your simple interface a couple of cheaper mics will take you a while, getting the most out of garageband a fair while longer. Getting the most out of a full featured DAW? You never will quite, but you will get better and better, I hope you really get a kick out of it :)

Glad there is another recordist on the forum!

8 hours ago, rubis said:

Reaper is very good, and intuitive, you can use the full version on an “open ended” trial period and there are lots of online tutorials if you want to get more involved

have fun 

I can't recommend Reaper enough, it is so intuitive to use and set up was a doddle compared to Cubase which flatly refused to acknowledge my interface, whereas Reaper sort of says "hey I have found this interface lets use that" perhaps not quite that simple but way easier than I expected it to be! Once you have everything installed it as easy as setting up a track and just selecting instrument track or Midi track.

Interface wise they are all pretty capable, modern Windows operating systems are pretty good at installing them nice and simply, I think you will have to tell the computer to make it the default sound device but again that is pretty easy, with most interfaces you will get a control screen which allows you to see what it happening and get the set up right.

I am using a M-Audio Ultra 8r as I was familiar with M-Audio products, it is older and is only supported up to Windows 8 I have it running seamlessly with Windows 10 

2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

To do a simple recording of a song as a record of what your intent is is really simple and easy, and loads of fun.

Plenty of good advice given, especially a nice decent simple interface and garageband for a start.

I warn you now, you are on a very, very slippery slope....

Two of them in fact, one is downhill all the way, this is the dangerous one, it gets steeper, and ends in financial ruin, this stuff makes bass GAS look like wanting a cup of tea compared to heroin addiction, I kid you not. Bass gear is cheap, all of it, compared to top quality recording kit. My dream is to own Manifold Recording Studios, or a UK equivalent, can we say Euromillions? IMO the finest studio build the world has ever seen. Owned by the CEO of Redhat. The desks are works of art, and the machine room is frickin' incredible (sharks with lazerbeams bad-assery at work) let alone the acoustic control in the live rooms - I may have to go and have a lie down in a minute ;). Hell the entire complex is carbon neutral and has its own solar farm to power it!

The other slope is the tricky one, where you are now it looks pretty much like a cliff face, and it too is very slippery, this is the learning curve. At first you think you know where the top is, and you can figure out with a lot of help a route there (again youtube videos are excellent ways to find out how to get there). However what looks like Mount Everest from the bottom turns out to be a pebble on the way to the summit once you get over it. This is normal, get used to it!

There is a lot to learn, and a great deal of enjoyment to be had doing so, even for simple "4 track" style pre-production recordings of demos of new tunes for the band. Getting the most out of your simple interface a couple of cheaper mics will take you a while, getting the most out of garageband a fair while longer. Getting the most out of a full featured DAW? You never will quite, but you will get better and better, I hope you really get a kick out of it :)

Glad there is another recordist on the forum!

MUMMY!!! xD

It sounds like you are near the bottom of the slope, I'm getting a lot of really good advice here so what do you all think of buying the Scarlet 2i2 and setting sail with garageband? Just to see where it goes.....

2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

Without adding too much more, I am a newbie and a bit along your road.

Focusrite stuff is immense, I have one of the Scarlett’s (your choice number of channels expense etc.)

I would also use garage band (I have done) as it’s a very simple interface, benefit being you already have a Mac, and if you want to increase complexity later on th natural progression would be Logic X Pro, which is like garage band on steroids, very easy to use, and easy to share tracks.

Vicals, whilst probably not being the best I just used my Sennheiser e935 which I would use live (you can use your shure’s) and that will be fine, I ran it through filters or I even used my Cali76G compressor for my bass to decent effect.

Best thing is to enjoy it, and say good bye to hours on end of fun

Guest adi77

I think garage band especially on an ipad is hard to beat these days

(and a pair of decent headphones)

Edited by adi77