Why become a member? ×

Sonar Cakewalk is back and now Free from BandLab!!

Mcgiver69

Downloaded it, but couldn't get the install procedure to run to completion (PC, Win10 64-bit, 12 Gb, 5Gb free disk...). Just an error screen and the stuff 'hangs', with a laconic 'Installing' still displayed. I'll (be trying to...) install an SSD soon, so will try again after that. Curious, really, just to see what it's like.

I just tried to install it via the Bandlab Assistant they make you download. It downloaded the installer then just hung around for hours saying 'installing'.

I quit the Bandlab Assistant app and just ran Cakewalk.exe from my Downloads folder and it's now installing properly!

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I just tried to install it via the Bandlab Assistant they make you download. It downloaded the installer then just hung around for hours saying 'installing'.

I quit the Bandlab Assistant app and just ran Cakewalk.exe from my Downloads folder and it's now installing properly!

I tried that, but it doesn't allow the setting of directories for Vst's etc in that case (greyed out...) so I aborted.

Odd, I just hit next until it finished.

Looks like you can run this:

cakewalk.exe /LOG

Then go to %TEMP% in an explorer window and find a log file in there named 'Setup Log <DATE> #001.txt' for the installation which might give further clues. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Odd, I just hit next until it finished.

Looks like you can run this:

cakewalk.exe /LOG

Then go to %TEMP% in an explorer window and find a log file in there named 'Setup Log <DATE> #001.txt' for the installation which might give further clues. 

Downloading (again..!) to try that. The launcher dumbly downloads into the User/Download folder, instead of the browser Download folder like everyone else. Daft, as it's taking up space on the drive with the least free space on it, and may have trouble due to that. I'll see have it develops...

The user download folder is the main one that all apps should use by default - even your browser would. If you reconfigured your browser to use a different location then that would only apply to that browser.

The proper way would be to move your download folder:

- go to C:\users\username

- right-click downloads and view properties

- go to Location tab and hit Move

This will move your files onto another drive if need be and update all the pointers to it so that other apps that try to use your proper download folder will use the new location also.

• Thanks 1

Done that, thanks. I managed to trick Cakewalk into finishing (I created the folders it couldn't do myself, and selected 'Retry'...). I got it to install, and even to run, but why does it install n the 'C' drive, without asking me..? I install nothing on that drive except System stuff; I've several teradisks hooked up for applications, data, archives etc. 'C' is for System only, and I want any installation to ask where to go, and go there. As a result, it's been uninstalled again. I did create an audio track, and imported audio to it, plus a MIDI track, with a MIDI file, but couldn't see how to affect an instrument to that MIDI track. I'm much more familiar with Reaper, where tracks is tracks, and has no need for specific affectation.
I'll try again, and read up a bit on how it's supposed to work. For the moment, I'm rather sceptic, but it hasn't cost me much, either, so I'll keep an open mind. Meanwhile I've still a compo to do for this months Challenge; I suspect that Reaper will again be solicited..!

5 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Running Cakewalk.exe /? shows all the switches it supports. You should in theory be able to install it where you like with this:

Cakewalk.exe /DIR="D:\Cakewalk"

Good call; cheers. It begs the question as to why the installer doesn't ask for a path, but, whatever... I'll install again once I've upgraded to an SSD 'C' drive, assuming my PC works at all after that..! :$

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 11:19, Mcgiver69 said:

Yeah even if you won't use it as your main DAW only the plugins are worth the install.  :P

Which of the plugins are particularly good?

I've mostly used Ableton, but I don't find it particularly intuitive so might give this a go when recording next.

10 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Thanks - I can't see all those in the plugin manager on the bandlab version, I'll have to check if there is another download or maybe all the included plugins for sonar aren't in cakewalk.

I think they have two plugin sections, I think those are under the PRO tab

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

image.thumb.png.52c4bd433a339b6a0289f9596c481483.png

I can't find a PRO tab.  

Check out this screenshot - for instance the only amp sim I have is 'TH3'.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Try Proch

For more info check this guy

Edited by Mcgiver69
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...