Why become a member? ×

Help with new cab

Adonbass

Hi,

I'm wanting to expand my rig a little to get better low end clout. I currently have a markbass tube 800 head paired to a traveller 2x10 and a traveller 1x15. Im thinking of getting a markbass standard 410hf to pair with the traveller 2x10 and ditch the 1x15. Question is... is it a good idea? 

Many thanks

Adam

Difficult to say, in actual terms each cab gets the same amount of power - I assume both are 8ohm cabs - so the 210 is doing twice the work. That said I have an Ashdown ABM 410 & 210 set-up and it works fine, though for all but the biggest gigs I just use the 410. I`ve never needed anywhere near full power from my amp so I`m confident that the 210 won`t get pushed beyond its limits, and being the top cab I`d be more likely to hear that as well - I hope.

Hey lozz196,

That's just what I thought. With both cabs getting their equal share of the output I'm a little worried about pushing the 210 too far, I'd probably be better off using a 410 on it's own?  I'm keen to keep the 210 as it fits perfectly in my boot for rehearsals and little gigs and does an adequate job for that purpose. 

Well having had a Little Mark Tube 500 I can`t think that if you had both cabs connected to the LMT800 that you`d push the 210 too far - am sure your ears would give out before the 210, lol. But yes, 410 for bigger gigs, 210 for rehearsals and smaller gigs sounds a good plan.

I find that when I do use both of my cabs it`s more to fit the size of the larger stages, and for the benefit of the added height of the cabs - I don`t have the amp any louder, but due to the increased height I can hear it better.

Lots of people like rigs with matching driver sizes, while others swear it makes no difference.  Only your ears can decide which you prefer.

That said, I'd imagine the 410HF would be a very good match for the 210, and as Lozz says it's pretty unlikely you'll damage the 210.