Why become a member? ×

Extension Cab for an AI combo amp

Malvis

Itsmedunc was asking a question along these lines in an earlier thread - I've rephrased it and hopefully we'll get a few more replies.

In general if my AI Coda S4 isn't loud enough onstage I ask whoever's engineering to give me a bit more bass in the monitor.  Occasionally it'd be handy to have an extension cab though, as it'd give me more control and leave less to chance.  

As lovely as the AI kit is, I wouldn't be looking for anything quite so extravagant, so I'd love to know what the better, cheaper options might be.  Thanks very much...

Edited by Brother Malvis

As extension cabs go, my favourite have been the crazy 8s from Tricky audio (greenboy). Minimal footprint and massive sound gain, very db friendly.

also, if you still find them Genz Benz shuttle 10s were good. Markbass as well.

if you need lots of volume you can’t go wrongness again with Tricky audio f110 and even f112 if you really want to shoogle bowels.

if you need to be louder still, you’d probably need support from the venue’s PA and in ears, and if that is not an option, I’d probably stick a magnetic pickup on and kid on I’m a bass guitarist...

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a variety of cabs including Crazy 8's & pa cabs but the new Upshot from Acoustic Image is a good match. Best of both worlds, combo throws the sound to back of room and the upshot fills the stage.

A cheaper option would be an 8" or 10" pa cab angled upwards