Raspatue

SOLD Carl Thompson 4 string Fretless - Price Drop
£7500

4800 GBP

I am selling this beautiful Carl Thompson bass as it is not getting the playing time it needs or deserves.

Its build by Carl himself in the early 90s. it has an EMG pickup and active electronics. the neck is 36"

It has a rare wooden bridge and a rare "hook" shaped upper horn.

The neck is Padauk with Ebony frettboard. i think the top is charry and the wings are mahogany. i am not sure what the center block is.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or send me a private message.

Trade with other basses and guitars are possible.

The bass is located in Denmark.

1907820_10152610276762954_666591680063217275_n.jpg

10245472_10152610276822954_8924706735756951451_n.jpg

10424976_10152610277072954_5238851149125334867_n.jpg

10606594_10152610276897954_3453576415870186288_n.jpg

10609485_10152610276957954_8236137563858690035_n.jpg

10665747_10152610277182954_7235492736678320916_n.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-2-plektrum.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-freetles-plektrum.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-fretless-back-plektrum.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-fretless-body-plektrum.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-fretless--plektrum.jpg

carl-thompson-bas-guitar-headstock-plektrum.jpg

Edited by Raspatue
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Stunning. Just wish it was fretted.

A good luthier could make it frettet. :P

I love the bridge. That does look good.

Lovely bass over all, but....

GLWTS

On 3/4/2018 at 15:34, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. That would be wrong on many levels.

It really would be wrong. But then again, if it could become the dream bass for someone, it might be worth it. 

All depends on if you have the tools to cut slots without breaking through the sides. But the side dots are probably ON the lines.

A good luthier could make it look nice with fretts. But it would still not be original or how the bass was ment to be. 

Putting frets in this would be criminal, in my opinion 

• Like 3

On 5/4/2018 at 19:16, BreadBin said:

Putting frets in this would be criminal, in my opinion 

+1

Lovely bass, by the way.

Edited by cascanicoff

Probably a good turnaround investment if you're not in hurry for a return.

In terms of the bass itself, a bit idiosyncratic to say the least...

On 05/04/2018 at 10:08, Raspatue said:

A good luthier could make it look nice with fretts. But it would still not be original or how the bass was ment to be. 

I reckon CT basses are quirky enough...if you had the money and the inclination, I'd go with a true-intonation [edit Microtonal] fretjob, just to make it even quirkier.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

36" fretless is a joy to play. The one that gets this beast will do a once-in-a-lifetime investment.

13 hours ago, itu said:

36" fretless is a joy to play. The one that gets this beast will do a once-in-a-lifetime investment.

Especially on a fretless. There is a lot of freedom to sculpt the tone.

8 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Wooden saddles. Wonder what wood they are?

I am not sure what wood it is. but i would guess Zebrawood or Goncalo Alves.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alzamatt
      Fbass AC6 in mint conditions 
      Shipping in EU included in the price 
      Description on 
      http://www.fbass.com/models/model/ac
      Finger ramp easily removable attached with light double scotch tape 

• By Quasar79
      Now £800.
      I am selling this beautiful Neuser Courage 4  in very good condition. These basses were handmade by Robert Neuser in Slowakia, but not anymore.
      Bass is in perfect condition, technically and cosmetically too.
      I know that Neuser basses are very underrated, but it's very good quality for a decent price. Easy to play, very well-balanced, and 4.2 kg (9.25lbs). This bass is suited for every style.
      Alder body, maple top Maple neck with ebony fingerboard and abalone marks Bartolini pickup's EBS pre-amp Neuser bridge (custom order to this model as well) Gotoh tuning machines Neck-thru construction I am selling for £900 (including case). I can ship everywhere, but pickup is also possible in The Netherlands or Germany (with corona a little difficult).
      Thank you for reading. For more information or pictures, just send me a PM:)

• By Ted Theodore Logan, III
      Now only £945... p&p available
      As new condition!! 

In order to avoid alienating the “traditionaly sane" members of the Basschat community, I have arranged the following advert to be compiled in two parts. 

Part One will detail; 
      · The item for sale
      · The asking price 
      · The option for delivery/collection 

Part Two will contain; 
      · Mostly nonsense
      · Incoherent babbling
      · The ramblings of a mad man

Both parts will be void of any humour (naturally) 
      and absolutely no content contained within Part Two should be taking likely and can not be held against me in my forthcoming sanity plea...

Part One

Item Description

model: Sandberg California TT4 Fretless Bass Guitar
      finish: 3 tone Sunburst Matt
      electronics: Sandberg AlNiCo Passive Jazz Pickups
      controls: Volume, Balance, Tone
      hardware: Sandberg Locking Tuners & Sandberg Premium Bridge (matching black)
      neck: Unmarked Fretless
      fingerboard wood: Rosewood 
      scale: 34inch
      weight: 4.4kg
      case: Sandberg Padded Gig Bag
      condition: Mint
      price: £1045

Shipping

insured courier: £40 approx (location dependant)
      collection: Free
      part-meet: Cost of fuel

Those interested in purchasing this instrument should completely and utterly disregard any further text.
      Thank you for reading.

Part Two

So basically, back when I was slightly more deluded than I am today, I purchased a number of Fretless Bass Guitars with the notion that I could master a Fretless instrument with little to no actual effort being made on my part. Needless to say, I was wrong...
      Whilst it might not be “Racket-Silence" or “Brian Sturgeon-ary" to learn how to play a Fretless Bass Guitar, I will come clean right now and just admit that I am far too lazy to continue with anything that doesn't go my way immediately or pretty soon thereafter... I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm a defeatist but let me put it this way; If I flip the switch on a kettle and it ain't plugged in... the tea ain't getting made! Same goes for if ain't got no water in...
      So anyway, I'm now in possession of an all-round awesome German-made Sandberg California Fretless Bass Guitar that just isn't getting played and even when it is actually getting played it's actually not getting played, it's just more or less just being held whilst I slide a finger up the D string and listen to it go “Mwahhh"... and then back down the D string to hear it go “Mwohhh"... I will sometimes repeat this three or four times before returning the gorgeous instrument to its lovely Sandberg padded case...
      To be honest I'm a little miffed as the sales person who sold me the instrument told me that “Sandberg's literally play themselves". I think what they meant to have said was “Sandberg's figuratively play themselves" because, believe me, this instrument does NOT play itself. Not that I ever tried connecting it to an amp and leaving it in a stand next to my record player whilst I played it classic funky Motown tracks in the hope that it might play along... Ha, ha!! No, that'd be stoopid!!... Ha!!.. ha, ha...   Actually, come to think of it, maybe I just didn't have the volume up loud enough... ... I'll try again tomorrow... 
      So I'm not making any promises but this instrument might actually play itself!!...
      The Sandberg is a passive bass meaning that it is entirely non-violent and fully compliant. It has AlNiCo Jazz Pickups, possibly something to do with Al Pacino...
      The fingerboard is Rosewood or possibly a Pau Ferro which I'm assuming is the creator of the material but it looks like Rosewood but apparently it's actually a Pau Ferro which I have no idea what a Pau Ferro is... But it might be the creator but I'm not sure... But it's actually probably Rosewood... Let's go with “Ro Ferro" 
      The hardware is black and all of it is, so that looks pretty cool... Err, it's also got a pickguard for those of you with really long scratchy “Nosferatu" nails or terrible “punk-like" strumming technique...
      Anyway, the finish is rather interesting. That's “finish" not “Finnish" though I'm sure the Finnish are also rather interesting... but in regards to the Sandberg's body finish, this finish is actually a 3 tone matt sunburst finish which is rather close to the tobacco sunburst finish but somewhere in between that finish and the regular sunburst finish. So altogether a pretty unique looking finish...
      Anyway, that's the finish!!

Oh!! If you're actually interested in the Sandberg, visiting times are daily between 08:00 - 10:00 & 16:00 - 19:00 unless specifically requested in advance.

*Edit: Enjoy the less grainy pics... 

“Ooooohhh.... Look at that tasty, toasty finish & yummy, scrummy grain..." 

• By TimCook
      Here’s a cracking bass which has been shamefully underused in the past 5 years, hence the sale.
      It’s a Bassline Buster Classic, made in Germany in 1996. Bassline are a small, custom bass company based in Germany. The new price of this would’ve been circa £1600. A few years ago I contacted Bassline directly who were ace to give me the following wood specs:
      Body european ash, hardmaple neck, and a padouk fingerboard
      It has LeFay pickups and a Noll 2-band EQ with controls for Volume (push/pull for passive mode), Bass, Treble and Pickup Pan. Nut Width is 38mm and there’s a ‘Zero’ fret. It also has Neutrik locking jack socket and Schaller strap locks (with 2 positions at the bridge end to quickly jump between heights which conveniently also makes it stable resting on the floor).
      It’s in ace condition, although I’d note there’s a tiny indent on the scoop up to the fingerboard past the 24th fret and few marks on the lower horn and body edge where I knocked the bass over after posting this ad (see photos in comments). All minor and character adding in my opinion - like us all it’s lived!
      Playability wise, it has he slimmest, fastest neck I’ve ever encountered. It’s also super lightweight (3.7kg) so along with the fast neck you can keep going for hours.
      I don’t have a gig bag or case but can be shipped very securely in a cardboard bass box (within hand-carved polystyrene for protection). UPS (uninsured) delivery is included in the price.
      Any questions or you’d like a test drive, feel free to pop me a message!
      Tim

• By ChrisDev
      Ritter Cora fretless 4-string
      Delivered in: 2012
      I don't play much fretless any more and something new is coming...
      Details
      Spacing: 60mm - 32mm Scale: 34" (863.8mm) Body: Alder Body finish: Damaged Desktop Neck: maple fingerboard: ebony finish: Frosted trasparent Weight: 3,7kg (8,14lbs) Ritter F4 active/passive electronics  
      Ritter Website: Instrument' page Electronics document: Download
      Asking Price: £ 3,200 > 3,100(exl. shipping)
      No trades.

More pics @ https://basslessons.be/1185.php