Why become a member? ×

DR Neons

Kevin Dean

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

They are a bit sticky to touch. Look cool, but overall a bit crap. IMO

fixed, I think they're ok, IMO, you're right about them looking cool though. for punk anyway, I've been using them for about 5 years, they're about right for me, I get a lot more comments about the colour of my strings than my playing xD

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I don't mind them....haven't used them for a while though.

Plectrum users seem to complain about the coating coming off - I use fingers/thumb so don't have this problem. I didn't notice any stickiness..

this is true, but it's the same elixirs and any coated string I guess, doesn't effect the tone though, the coating keeps the finger sweat and dead skin out of the strings, which obviously isn't a problem at the pick end of things

Edited by PaulWarning

I bought some DR Black Beauties at the London show.  I'm assuming the coating is pretty much the same.  They do feel a bit coarser than the Elixirs that I tend to favour.  They have a nice burp to them; not a lot of new string zing going on. 

They've only been on a month and have had light use.  Would I try them again?  Possibly, but not in black.  I didn't realise it would be so difficult to actually see them on a black bass with a black fingerboard...

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I use them, used to use elixirs, IMO they last as long but not as smooth, I pay about £30 for them (if I don't get stung by import duty) what can you get them for?

I've seen them from £28 including delivery etc  but it depends on what colour you go for .

17 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I bought some DR Black Beauties at the London show.  I'm assuming the coating is pretty much the same.  They do feel a bit coarser than the Elixirs that I tend to favour.  They have a nice burp to them; not a lot of new string zing going on. 

They've only been on a month and have had light use.  Would I try them again?  Possibly, but not in black.  I didn't realise it would be so difficult to actually see them on a black bass with a black fingerboard...

I think the neon are a different coating .

I have the white Aurora 40-100s on my Psilos. They cost less than the DRs but, if anything, they feel more expensive, more "finished" or refined. I'd buy these over the DRs again. The customer service from Aurora is excellent - the brand is relatively unknown in the UK and they're keen to make their mark.

Give them a go...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

I've seen them from £28 including delivery etc  but it depends on what colour you go for .

where from, the UK? I've seen them for that price and a bit cheaper from the USA, depends on string thickness, colour etc. but there's always the risk of customs duty, the last set cost me £30 (wanted to try a heavy set 50-110) plus £13 duty and Post Office charges, first time it's happened though

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

where from, the UK? I've seen them for that price and a bit cheaper from the USA, depends on string thickness, colour etc. but there's always the risk of customs duty, the last set cost me £30 (wanted to try a heavy set 50-110) plus £13 duty and Post Office charges, first time it's happened though

No that was USA   ..Can't they register it as a gift ?

I've used both Black Beauties and Neons in the past - I am a heavy pick player (+/- 100kg :) ) and it wears through in no time.  The other issue that put me off was where the string rubs against the fret it wears through on the underside -  which is ok if you never need to take off the strings but, if you do, it is almost impossible to match up again.

1 hour ago, Kevin Dean said:

No that was USA   ..Can't they register it as a gift ?

to be fair, when ever I've bought them through ebay they've always put the value at less than $10 so I've always been ok, this time I bought them direct to get the heavy set, still waiting for the package so I'm assuming they didn't do it this time, same firm though, bassstringsonline

• Like 1

DR Neons/Black Beauties/Red Devils etc etc are all the same string - Sunbeams with the K3 coating. Only difference is the coating colour.

DR Dragon Skins are coated Hi Beams.

Anyone who is after a 'normal' looking DR coated string, DR Silver Stars are your friend. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2018 at 12:06, PaulWarning said:

I've noticed this, but why would you want to take them off and put them back on again? with any regularity anyway. Don't most strings wear where they rub the frets? I've always assumed that's why new strings rattle more

All manner of reasons, really - do something to one of the tuners, give the body a polish, change the pickup, put them on another bass.  But you only have to do it once.  The ball end shifts from how it was seated originally and the black/pink/green/whatever string coating has a little silver mark where the fret has rubbed the coating through that is now on show.  Even just loosening them off enough to release the tension on the ball end is enough to do it.  Spoils the look a bit.  At least - I found they were problems that I encountered with the basses I put them on in terms of my own perception of what I wanted the coated strings for.  Everyone else will have different expectations and experiences.  And, yes, any string will wear in this way but we are talking specifically about coated strings with a coating that wears through.

Can't believe I just wrote the line 'release the tension on the ball end' :)

I tried swapping back the E string to a Newtone & this had worn off against the fret after about 4 hours playing & I'm getting fret buzz compared to the Newtone & Roto Sound of the same guage ,I  will measure to see if they are the same guage as on the packet .

IMG_20180409_122647909.jpg

3 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Every time you do a string change to a different manufacturer, even the same gauge, you should check the set-up on your bass. Tension can vary quite a bit even in similar gauges. 

It's been perfectly fine with Rotosound , Elixir , Newtone , Ashdown & warwick & legacy . But I can understand that . I've worked out that the Newtone  have done about 50 hours of playing including gigs & still sound brighter & the output is considerably higher .

• 1 month later...