Why become a member? ×

20” scale bass

jebroad

I’ve recently started the build of a ridiculous idea. A 20” scale bass. 

The body and neck are from an old mahog bookshelf I’ve already got 3 bodies from. 

The idea is to use the low 4 string of a 5 string and tune them up to whatever the correct  tension is. It will be, at most, a step up from standard.

It won’t have a truss rod, just a graphite rod. The neck is tiny and half of it is in a neck pocket anyway. 

Ive just planed down the neck and shaped the body. The neck looks very thick in the photos but that was not it’s proper thickness. 

I’m using a piezo bridge only. 

4C67CD84-6294-4F6C-8EAA-D0577866F973.jpeg

E06CDBA0-F679-44D7-8CDB-96D6F2D649FF.jpeg

61EEB8F6-F101-4656-9A7A-E91989C63751.jpeg

C680398F-B517-48C4-8538-BD488A4B6D8E.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Looks great so far! There are a few ‘small scalers’ here including myself. Watching with interest. 

It should be finished by the midlands bass bash (5/5/18) if you want to check it out. 

• Like 1

Funny - I just started building (well I've drawn it out and and sorted some parts) for a 23" scale thing. I've also been looking at using the lower 4 strings from a 5 string set to get EADG or to use a 4 string set to get BEAD but an octave up.

Mine won't be finished (will barely been started as I have house DIY to do) but I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Cheers

Jez

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Funny - I just started building (well I've drawn it out and and sorted some parts) for a 23" scale thing. I've also been looking at using the lower 4 strings from a 5 string set to get EADG or to use a 4 string set to get BEAD but an octave up.

Mine won't be finished (will barely been started as I have house DIY to do) but I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Cheers

Jez

Ohh, I think 23” is more sensible as 20” won’t  really suit EADG yet something more like GCFB

5 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I'm liking this!!

Why thank you. The fretboard should be arriving tomorrow so I’ll glue it then and I’ll install the tuners and then finish the neck, with Liberon finishing oil, and fret it when I can afford frets and fretpress

12 minutes ago, jebroad said:

Why thank you. The fretboard should be arriving tomorrow so I’ll glue it then and I’ll install the tuners and then finish the neck, with Liberon finishing oil, and fret it when I can afford frets and fretpress

Whereabouts are you? If you're local to me you can use my fret press when you get round to it.

17 minutes ago, jebroad said:

For a midget bass?

I would genuinely like to try it and, as previously mentioned, if it were 23” and EADG I’d be double interested. Something about the shape of it and the way you are going about building it is just speaking to me.

14 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I would genuinely like to try it and, as previously mentioned, if it were 23” and EADG I’d be double interested. Something about the shape of it and the way you are going about building it is just speaking to me.

Ok, this is only a prototype and a 23” with this body shape will be very much possible, are you at the midlands bass bash?

• 2 weeks later...