Why become a member? ×

Pruning the heard

martthebass

Up until recently I’ve always had a 1 in 1 out policy. However, over the last 18 months the gig money coming in has grown and ahem, along with that so has the collection of gear. 

Some of this acquisition I guess has been justified, e.g. buying a backup amp head, however the main problem has been the growth of the bass collection from 3 to 6.  In my head I justify all 6 but in reality 3 should be more than sufficient as I never take more than 2 basses to a gig. Ironically the 2 basses I use for gigs are cheap as chips (a Squier Mustang and a Squier Jaguar ss); the expensive US made stuff, 3 Musicman basses and ‘cough’ a Ric, generally sit at home. Don’t get me wrong, they all get played but if they all disappeared in a puff of smoke it wouldn’t stop my musical endeavours.

So, how do you guys keep this thing under control and/or make sensible decisions on what to dispose of?

I can't explain how to keep it under control.  However, I will say that if you have more money than sense, soon you won't have.  Deal with that now, or you'll wind up like me, with an angry bank manager and more basses than I know what to do with.

Disposal decisions:  Anything you're not playing can go.  Anything you're sure you won't need in the next six months can be got rid of, unless it's impossible to find another or it's actually appreciating.

Edited by alyctes
needs updating
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, machinehead said:

My opinion?

If you can afford it, keep as many as you enjoy owning.

If the time comes when finances get tight, or you want/need to put the money into something else, sell the ones you like the least.

Frank.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

I've bought well, along with one purchase a while back that I still pinch myself about.  I could do with getting rid of a couple, but I have space and there's no urgency to do so.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, martthebass said:

So, how do you guys keep this thing under control and/or make sensible decisions on what to dispose of?

I just play one bass. I buy the next one, see if it works better than the last one and if it does that's the next bass I play. The last bass becomes the backup. Any others usually don't get played and are moved into the departure lounge.

So, for example, instead of having 3 £500 basses, I play one £1500 bass. That's in a totally different league of instrument.

I'd 'need' 3 minimum. A P with flats (of course!), a more aggressive 5 stringer (my BB1025X) and a fretless (currently a Godin A4).

The first two are pretty much set in stone and with me for life, the Godin could possibly be swapped for a fretless Stingray. Everything else I have though is surplus to requirements!

Well I`ve recently bought a lot of basses/cabs, yet another search to find the "right" gear for me. Now I`ve found it, have a lot to sell as a result. My bass needs are one black US Precision for gigging, an identical one for home use, a black Mex Precision for flying gigs, and a white US Precision for vids/backup for touring.

I just have a weakness for certain basses, seen another on here at the moment, I don’t need, I have a genuine one of the bass it’s copying but still fancy getting it. Presently resisting and the one in one out is holding (and I hate selling stuff at the best of times).

On 4/1/2018 at 20:10, martthebass said:

xDxDxD...keep this thing under control...xDxDxD...sensible decisions...xDxDxD... dispose of...

Haven't you heard of GAS???

• Haha 1

Having a hard time reducing my bass count at the moment, which really needs to happen.  One has been sitting in  a case unplayed since I moved house 18 months ago.  Got it out to restring, clean and check over before definitely putting it up for sale but made the mistake of sitting down to play it. I'd forgotten how good it sounds - fat yet clear with perfectly weighted mid range. I don't think I can let it go now :(

• Like 1

I have had at least 30 basses over the last ten years and I've normally had around eight to ten at any one time, but I have finally come to my senses and realise that I only need TWO max, and probably only need ONE to be honest, I have never had a bass break down on me yet, so no real need for a back-up.

I have been selling my collection off over the last 6/12 months and I now have my final three up for sale now as I write, I have recouped at least £5,000 recently and I am receiving a new bass today that is going to be the one I will gig all the time, it cost me just over a grand, I have treated the missus to a few things, I have upgraded my hifi system, we have brought a few things for the house, and some of the money will go towards this year's holidays.

I feel so much better for not having all those basses hanging on hooks around the house, I feel that I am now spending our money on things that benefit both of us.

Don't know how long this non-gas will last though! ^_^

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

My view, for what it’s worth, is that you should be fully committed to the sale process before you consider moving something on. If you’re not, then you probably shouldn’t do it. To me, it doesn’t sound like you are at the moment. If you have the space and means; keep them.

It probably won’t help you to hear that the Stingray I bought from you those many moons ago is still with me ungigged. I’ve rehearsed it a few times, but it hasn’t made it to the stage yet; not with me anyway. That said, I wouldn’t consider parting with it because it’s just lovely, even tho I’m not using it at the moment.

Not at all mate, glad that it found a good home. If I’d kept it it would have ended up stored in a case in perpetuity. Ironically I have another ‘non standard’ Ray in the ‘herd’ but that is getting some use.

11 hours ago, jacko said:

and mine is 'proofread'

Ironically I used to teach literacy.......unfortunately the OCD got the better of me and I had to quit.

Equally ironically, I took part in a study (while teacher training) looking into the effects of media on information assimilation. Apparently I fell into the group where the screen was much less effective than the page.

Edited by martthebass