Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan.. Chuck Rainey

bubinga5

Donald Fagen, keys/vocals, Bernard Purdy, drums. Denny Dias and Elliot Randall, guitar/s.. Chuck Rainey's bass playing on this record, is some of the best groove playing I've ever listened to. There is always something new, when he plays.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

Wah guitar on Haitian Divorce is beautiful! Oh and LC's solo on Kid Charlemagne is of course a classic. Yes and the bass is great too. Didn't realise it was Chuck. Funnily enough, it's worth seeking out his videos where he speaks on YouTube. He's very articulate and has a lovely soft wise voice. 

Yeah, with Walter Becker adding some kind of voice box over the same notes? or was that another SD tune?

Chuck tells a great story about a session for ‘Mash’, when he met Tommy Tedesco. It’s on YouTube somewhere.

He really is one of my all time, favourite groovers, a real gem of a player.

Edit: The interview (mentioned above).

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

A few years ago me and a couple of friends managed to attend an evening seminar with

Mr Rainey in Doncaster. Put together by Electro Music to promote Phil Jones amplification,

Chuck was very entertaining, with lots of stories about his amazing career. Plenty of Steely

Dan related stuff in the audience Q&A session, though for me would have rather listened to

him recall the great sessions he did with Aretha. Lovely guy, but must admit to not being 

blown away by the sound he got with the PJ amps!

• 3 weeks later...