Why become a member? ×

Singer advert I've never seen before.

yorks5stringer

48 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've never attached a specific gender to a cover version, if it sounds good it's good. OK an actual tribute act might be different but only if that's what the punters were expecting. 

I'd have no issue doing a Free cover with our female singer, none at all. 

Hi Pete,

You might not have an issue with your female singer doing All Right Now, but she might - check out the lyrics.

3 hours ago, project_c said:

The younger generation look up to the older generations to set an example though

Not in my life.

The YG that i see every day dont give a flying fig for the boomer gen.

On 01/04/2018 at 16:52, project_c said:

I often wonder why that generation has become so weird. They produced some of the most remarkable cultural artifacts and colossal artistic achievements of the 20th century, in a world that gave them a lifestyle that today's young people will only ever dream of, only to end up as a collective bunch of angry bitter old windbags. What has happened to the boomers? They used to be nice. I don't think it's an age thing. It's definitely a media thing, but that in itself doesn't fully explain it. 

Perhaps your slagging of them whizzed us all off :|

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Not in my life. The YG that i see every day dont give a flying fig for the boomer gen.

It's only fair I suppose. When I was a teenager, I thought anyone over 25 was finished and anyone over 35 may as well be dead! xD

14 minutes ago, steantval said:

Hi Pete,

You might not have an issue with your female singer doing All Right Now, but she might - check out the lyrics.

Actually not a bad one for a gender swap. Spoilered it to save space.

Spoiler

There he stood in the street
Smiling from his head to his feet
I said 'Hey, what is this?

Now baby, maybe he's in need of a kiss'.
I said 'Hey, what's your name baby?
Maybe we can see things the same?
Now don't you wait or hesitate
Let's move before they raise the parking rate'.

All right now baby, it's all right now
All right now baby, it's all right now

I took him home to my place
Watching every move on his face
He said 'Look, what's your game baby?
Are you tryin' to put me in shame?'
I said 'Slow, don't go so fast
Don't you think that love can last?'
He said 'Love, Lord above
Now you're tryin' to trick me in love'.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

So would you not let a homosexual male singer perform the song? 

What about the straight female audience members singing along?

Even schools do gender swaps on Romeo and Juliet, this can't be such an arcane idea xD

If a vocalist did take issue with lyrics somewhere, I guess it would be down to them to say so, not down to everyone else to decide it's not good for them to sing because of their gender/sex.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, taunton-hobbit said:

One good thing about being in a Free cover band-

you only got one number to learn?

(Puts on coat, tin hat & exits, stage left)

:)

Yip, I love Wishingwell. 

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Not in my life.

The YG that i see every day dont give a flying fig for the boomer gen.

I teach loads of them and they all know all the music, art and (to some extent) literature from the 60s/70s/80s. They look up to that generation, even while they feel like it has taken a collective dump on them. I have a student who is a bass player in a punk band, her entire dissertation (about music) was based on an interview with her grandad, she worships him. Another one is basing her entire final major project on her grandad's diaries. And there's another one who made a giant installation in the uni gallery in honor of her recently deceased nan. (wasn't very good tbh but the love was there). I'm telling you these kids look up to your generation.

38 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

One good thing about being in a Free cover band... you only got one number to learn? (Puts on coat, tin hat & exits, stage left) :)

Heh. I love Andy whatsisname's bass lines but I was playing All Right Now in a covers band in 1974 and nothing could persuade me to play it these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Heh. I love Andy whatsisname's bass lines but I was playing All Right Now in a covers band in 1974 and nothing could persuade me to play it these days.

Pandy? You can tell the person who has actually listened to the song rather than blagging it  as they don't come in until the chorus at the beginning.....

I find the turn that this thread has taken rather bizarre. While one might reasonably claim that the gender of an instrumentalist is, or should be, of no relevance to their suitability for any given band, this cannot be said of singers. The male voice is, in most cases, intrinsically quite different from the female voice in range and timbre, and a band seeking a vocalist might well have good reasons for preferring one over the other. It would be odd then, surely, for a vocalist advertising their services not to specify their gender. In the case of transgender women, the situation is a little complex, as vocal reassigment is one of the more challenging parts of the process. This is what the (US) National Association of Teachers of Singing has to say on the matter:

A transgender woman will have gone through puberty as a male. Her larynx enlarged and descended in the neck, the vocal folds became thicker and longer and the voice deepened into an adult male voice. Once puberty is complete, there is nothing that can reverse the process so she may choose voice therapy or phonosurgery to sound more feminine. Voice therapy should be undertaken with a speech-language pathologist qualified to work in this area. Voice therapy goals include raising the average speaking pitch, usually to an androgynous pitch area and modifying voice quality, resonance and inflectional patterns.

There are several phonosurgical procedures used to raise speaking pitch and eliminate lower pitches. However, these are controversial, the outcomes are mixed and they don’t address other vocal characteristics, such as resonance or voice quality. (https://www.nats.org/cgi/page.cgi/_article.html/What_s_New/Training_the_Transgender_Singer_Finding_the_Voice_Inside)

For the advertiser to describe herself simply as a female singer could therefore be misleading. Quite reasonably, she has specified her gender as "transwoman". As has already been pointed out, this is in no way a description of her sexuality, which is of course entirely irrelevant. The fact that she has felt free to describe herself in this way could be seen as a positive and welcome sign of increasing acceptance of trans people. Some here, however, perversely choose to interpret it as evidence of intolerance. There seems to be a view that any suggestion that a transgender person is not in all respects the same as someone born to that gender constitutes some kind of hate-speech. It isn't; it's just an acceptance of reality. Maybe one day medical science will advance to the point where that view is justified, but we are not there yet. The fact that this issue has triggered an intolerant hate-filled rant against an entire generation just shows that when it comes to self-righteous bigotry, there are some amongst those who consider themselves "progressives" who could give any US evangelist preacher a run for their money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arthurhenry said:

Very strange comment. Fraser was the father of two daughters.

Not ex female , i agree. Gay for sure, despite the family / marriage.

But a lovely geezer and bass player. Sad day when he went

11 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

One good thing about being in a Free cover band-

you only got one number to learn?

(Puts on coat, tin hat & exits, stage left)

:)

Yeh, most of our tribute gigs we just played it 22 times, one after another - easy for me 🤩🤩