Why become a member? ×

Buying a cheap drum kit?

Horrorhiker

Hi. 

I've been asked to fill in as a stand in drummer for a couple of things while a permanent fixture is found so I'm looking to get a super cheap drum kit to use for practices only.

I Will be using it for two bands, one is a heavy rock band, and the other is a brass band (talk about chalk and cheese). With the rock band, a 'dustbin lid' type sound would actually fit in ok as it's bluesy, stoner rock type stuff. I've been assured by the brass band leader that anything will be ok for them as it's just for rehearsals (and they are desperate). 

I can play drums ok considering I'm a bass player by trade, but have never bought any drum gear, and really don't know where to start/what to look out for. I'm assuming bass pedal and snare are the two most important factors? 

Can someone give me a couple of recommendations of stuff to look out for second hand up to the value of about £150 please? I'm assuming anything new at this kind of price will be false economy, even for my limited use? I know this isn't much, but I'm on a very tight budget at the moment. 

One option is just buying the breakables and using the rehearsal spaces shells for the rock band at least, but again, wouldn't know where to start. Also, this would be no good for the brass band.

Part of me thinks 'If I can hit and it it sounds a bit like drums, it'll be ok', but I'm fully aware that some people say that about basses too, and it's not quite that simple. 

Cheers in advance :)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/peavey-drum-kit-inculdes-drum-stool-cymbals-and-all-iron-wear.-reduced/1291596017  This is 10 mins away? 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/peavey-drum-kit/1292781704 40 mins away

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premier-drum-kit-in-glossy-red-finish-hardly-used-excellent-condition/273134804420?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 About an hour away

Edited by Horrorhiker
Links

Of those kits, I think the Premier kit is most suitable, once set up and tuned it should be good enough for your needs. 

Played drums ( 35 years ago ) before I started learning bass and I ended up getting roped into into playing drums one night ( 20 years ago ) at a wedding and thought it would be ok as I didn’t know anyone. Sat down for the first song and there was whole table of people from my home town sitting waving to me. I couldn’t stop my right leg from shaking. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Of those kits, I think the Premier kit is most suitable, once set up and tuned it should be good enough for your needs. 

Played drums ( 35 years ago ) before I started learning bass and I ended up getting roped into into playing drums one night ( 20 years ago ) at a wedding and thought it would be ok as I didn’t know anyone. Sat down for the first song and there was whole table of people from my home town sitting waving to me. I couldn’t stop my right leg from shaking. 

Yes I know that feeling. For me playing drums isn't like riding a bike. I couldn't find a drummer and recorded a demo a couple of years ago expecting to go in and bang them out in one take, and ended up an embarassing pile of sweaty jelly in no time. 

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the premier one looked best too. Plus it comes with practice pads etc. I'll be needing those!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

...Can someone give me a couple of recommendations of stuff to look out for second hand up to the value of about £150 please?...

Good evening, HH...

Yes, you're right; there's nothing worthwhile in that price range new. As for the three linked, they're all three about equivalent in their performance, and would, all three, get you going with no real issues. I'd suggest, if you have the time and leisure, looking at each, and listening, not to the drums (they need tuning, almost certainly...), but the cymbals. They will determine the difference between 'noise' and 'music', in my view. The prices look very reasonable to me, for complete kits, and if there's nothing broken, will serve well until your needs evolve. Ask further if you feel the need; I'm here most days...

Hope this helps; let us know how you get on. Meanwhile (and while waiting for Drumchat.co.uk to spring into life...)

Have a nice day

Douglas

As ex drummer myself, you're going to struggle with buying a decent-ish kit AND cymbals for your budget

But  you might get a bargain if you wait.

Found this on the 'bay.  Pearl Export  - very decent for low to midrange kit,  and the cherry on top are the Sabian cymbals

As long no one else bids, it would be a bargain indeed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEARL-EXPORT-5-PIECE-DRUM-KIT-WITH-SABIAN-CYMBALS/253523168649?hash=item3b07288d89:g:UkAAAOSwiYRaumYp

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, HH...

Yes, you're right; there's nothing worthwhile in that price range new. As for the three linked, they're all three about equivalent in their performance, and would, all three, get you going with no real issues. I'd suggest, if you have the time and leisure, looking at each, and listening, not to the drums (they need tuning, almost certainly...), but the cymbals. They will determine the difference between 'noise' and 'music', in my view. The prices look very reasonable to me, for complete kits, and if there's nothing broken, will serve well until your needs evolve. Ask further if you feel the need; I'm here most days...

Hope this helps; let us know how you get on. Meanwhile (and while waiting for Drumchat.co.uk to spring into life...)

Have a nice day

Douglas

Brilliant, thank you for that! I'm thinking most about the Premier one but as ever, have started ramping up my budget a bit. I'll have to see if I get a moment of reckless abandon where I just order something. 

Cheers again! Will keep you posted.

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

As ex drummer myself, you're going to struggle with buying a decent-ish kit AND cymbals for your budget

But  you might get a bargain if you wait.

Found this on the 'bay.  Pearl Export  - very decent for low to midrange kit,  and the cherry on top are the Sabian cymbals

As long no one else bids, it would be a bargain indeed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEARL-EXPORT-5-PIECE-DRUM-KIT-WITH-SABIAN-CYMBALS/253523168649?hash=item3b07288d89:g:UkAAAOSwiYRaumYp

Brilliant thanks. I'll have a look at that. I was just saying, I'm thinking of upping the budget a little. Quite distressed to find you get gas with drums as well as basses. At least the missus is on board with this one. She plays in the brass band they need a drummer for. She isn't raising her eyebrows everytime I go on ebay for once, which is a result! 

Drum GAS. It's an addictive mine field 😂

I bought a cheap Pearl Export from a BC member. £125 I seem to remember inc some useable cymbals.

However, a double DW5000, two K  custom crashes, a full set of Remos and a Turkish ride and pair of Turkish hats later.....be very careful my friend, it's worse than basses😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Been there Keith - Tama,  Mapex, Premier Soundwave  ( identical to a kit used by Phil Collins )  Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian cymbals.  It really racks up the coin

Ha ha, don't it just, and I'm still looking for a decent 12" wood snare. However, it's really great when you get your kit sounding and playing exactly how you want. Pity our drummer hasn't done the same😂

27 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Drum GAS. It's an addictive mine field 😂

I bought a cheap Pearl Export from a BC member. £125 I seem to remember inc some useable cymbals.

However, a double DW5000, two K  custom crashes, a full set of Remos and a Turkish ride and pair of Turkish hats later.....be very careful my friend, it's worse than basses😂

With the wife in favour of a drum kit at home, It could spell trouble. At least with basses it feels 'forbidden'. 

• Haha 1

Try to get at least a mid-price bass drum pedal and high hat stand.  The cheap ones will fall apart quickly.  With nice heads,  you can get even very cheap drums to sound good by proper tuning.  In a quiet space,  you'll notice the difference in the quality of tone between good and cheap cymbals.  Once the music starts,  not so much.

35 minutes ago, Yank said:

...In a quiet space,  you'll notice the difference in the quality of tone between good and cheap cymbals.  Once the music starts,  not so much.

I'm not sure that I'd agree, there. Non-musical cymbals will tire the ear very quickly, in whatever circumstances, in my experience. Musicality does not come cheap, as with all other domains, but there's not much to be done to 'improve' a duff cymbal except not play it. The best-sounding ones for one's pocket, I'd say, and preferably compatible with the rest of the cymbal set. They are an integral part of the kit, after all. Listen to 'em, and reject any that don't sound musical (unless playing absolute 'trash'-style, of course, in which case all bets are off..! xD )

• Like 2

Yeah, good cymbals really make a difference to the sound of a band - in an old band of mine the drummer was pretty much like many of us on here, buying top range gear, and his whole kit sounded amazing. In fact our producer preferred our drummers kit & cymbals to his own. The cymbals just sounded lush, where I have heard some that sound like rotten tin plates being hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not sure that I'd agree, there. Non-musical cymbals will tire the ear very quickly, in whatever circumstances, in my experience. Musicality does not come cheap, as with all other domains, but there's not much to be done to 'improve' a duff cymbal except not play it. The best-sounding ones for one's pocket, I'd say, and preferably compatible with the rest of the cymbal set. They are an integral part of the kit, after all. Listen to 'em, and reject any that don't sound musical (unless playing absolute 'trash'-style, of course, in which case all bets are off..! xD )

I'd wholeheartedly agree (with Dad) Awful cymbals ruin any kit. That's not to say though thall all cheap cymbals sound terrible. You can occasionally pick up a cheapo that really is nice.  I have an 18" Paiste crash/ride (absolutely terrible) but as it stood me in nothing, I gave it the ozone trash treatment. Sounds fabulous and have even turned down a couple of offers on it so don't throw anything away😂

Edited by leschirons

I picked up a yamaha gigmaster kit (their entry level kit but solidly put together) two years ago for £60. Changed the heads to some nice Evans ones and tuned it up so for £130 I had a solid sounding shell kit. Unfortunately to get the cymbals and hihats it cost another £400 but does sound great for what is essentially still a very cheap kit. 

I prefer electronic drum kits and have a Roland TD-1K.  Only cost me around £400 and recommend any drummist getting one . Electronic kits are great if you're short on storage space. They're quick to set up, take down and transport, don't go out of tune and you can get a great range of sounds out of them. 

21 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I prefer electronic drum kits and have a Roland TD-1K.  Only cost me around £400...

£400 is the price (new...) of an entry-point kit; fine enough for home practice or messing about on (and a good product, just the same...), but cannot be compared to playing an acoustic kit, and is still £400..! A decent electro kit is well above the £1000-plus mark. I'd love an electro kit, but I've seen too many entry-level kits fall apart or be too quickly hammered to dust to spend £400 on one. For gigging, the PA has to be of a minimum standard to plug into, too. No, electro kits are rather the more expensive option; certainly not 'budget', in my experience (more's the pity :( ...).