Why become a member? ×

**Price Drop £460** For Sale: 1962 Hofner 182/Professional Solid Bass "Diamond" Pickups
£500

goffman

For sale is my 1962** Hofner/Selmer 182/Professional solid body bass w/ original Diamond Logo Pickups.

This is a really cool and unusual sounding bass. Neck pickup has all of the traditional 60s Hofner thump that we know and love and bridge pickup has all the bite and pokey midrange that you'd expect. Both can be blended nicely to give a warm and thumpy sound that sits really nicely in a mix. This is a great lightweight bass, perfect for anyone after something easier to play than a long-scale bass, and would be perfect as a secret weapon in a studio situation (particularly with a bit of foam behind the bridge pickup!) Serial number is in the early 700s so this is a particularly old and rare instrument.

A previous owner has fitted a crescent-shaped rest to the body. Other than that, the hardware, pickups, controls etc all seem to be the ones originally bestowed upon it. Volume and tone pots have recently been cleaned and serviced by Andy at Sixty Sixty sounds on London's Denmark St. I suspect it's nothing a soldering iron and a touch of patience can't fix. Frets all appear to be in good condition and the bass is currently strung with light gauge round-wound strings.

Cash on collection or balance transfer only from South-East London. Can also include the basic gig bag sold to me with the bass. Offers considered.

** According the Hofner list of serial numbers (http://www.hofner.com/media/wysiwyg//Serial_Numbers/selmer_numbers.pdf)

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.jpg

Edited by goffman

5 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've never seen one with that shaped scratch-plate and those 4 controls laid out like that. They ones I've seen have 2 controls on a control plate like the Beatle Bass.

Great basses these, really nice to play!

It was a struggle to even find even a photo of another one, but one site has it down as the "Professional Twin-pickup" model... though I don't think they made these for a very long time. Lovely little bass, really like the feel of the neck on this one!

I'd honestly never noticed that, but I think you're almost definitely right about the PU frame! Especially as most photos of these basses (the few that I can find) all have black pickup mounts.

The scratchplate I'm not so sure is painted. There seems to be a bit of dark discolouration around the edges of it but the top surface of the pickguard doesn't look painted at all. So it could be that the very edge of the guard has been painted a little but I really can't be sure.

Hope this was a even a little helpful. Can add more photos if you need any more detailed images.