Why become a member? ×

Is this normal? Sandberg Zero-Fret Content

cLepto-bass

I don't think there was a question that Sandberg are decent manufacturers. The only question is 'why' do they do what they do. Do their instruments work? Yes, and very well. But it seems an odd way to do things to me, and to some others. That's the only question: "why did they go that route?"

27 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I don't think there was a question that Sandberg are decent manufacturers. The only question is 'why' do they do what they do. Do their instruments work? Yes, and very well. But it seems an odd way to do things to me, and to some others. That's the only question: "why did they go that route?"

except that someone did state/claim "No decent manufacturer, tech or luthier would ever file grooves into a zero fret to lower the height."

As for why they do it, please see here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Bass/acapella-17/438254-

Am i the only person that reads the whole thread?:facepalm:

3 hours ago, dyerseve said:

except that someone did state/claim "No decent manufacturer, tech or luthier would ever file grooves into a zero fret to lower the height."

Following the link you posted here's Sandberg's reply to the qustion of the grooved ZF:

Hi magnus!
You are absolutely right, i could not explain it better. The guy from the
magazine is wrong there. Chris slots the zero fret carefully in order to get
the best possible action! The zero fret is higher than the others. So
everything is fine. It is an extremely hard material so even changing the
strings daily will not affect the zero fret!

So, the reasoning i'm seeing here is that the ZF ie grooved to bring down the action to the best possible height. I'm sure the optimal height won't be the same for every string so i understand the point of the groves over a plain (smaller) fret but in that case i also see a point when other say that they might aswell have made it without the ZF and add a brass (or even steel) nut leveled to the optimal action...

• Like 1

This baffled me for a while, and Sandberg don't really explain themselves with that statement, but I think their intention is that the vertical and lateral adjustments of the string are separated; the zero fret governs the height while the nut maintains string spacing. One could argue that it makes the setup simpler for the builder, but I can't see any benefit for the player. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dyerseve said:

one comment by one person who later says that no, they don't consider Sandberg a poor manufacturer... you're getting stuck in a feeling that was not intended by anyone here. Quote away at will... but it seems to me you're trying to find offence where none was intended. :facepalm:indeed.

edit: and I read their reasoning... which still makes no sense to me. Is this a bit clearer now? 

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pineweasel said:

This baffled me for a while, and Sandberg don't really explain themselves with that statement, but I think their intention is that the vertical and lateral adjustments of the string are separated; the zero fret governs the height while the nut maintains string spacing. One could argue that it makes the setup simpler for the builder, but I can't see any benefit for the player. 

But... that is eactly what every other zero fret guitar does: nut with slots, and then a zero fret adjusted for height. :|

I see no need for a taller zero fret with grooves in it. I read the reason given, and if that's why they do it, fair enough, the result is good... but it seems to me an overengineered solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

one comment by one person who later says that no, they don't consider Sandberg a poor manufacturer... you're getting stuck in a feeling that was not intended by anyone here. Quote away at will... but it seems to me you're trying to find offence where none was intended. :facepalm:indeed.

edit: and I read their reasoning... which still makes no sense to me. Is this a bit clearer now? 

I was just trying to make you aware of the full facts as it seemed you either weren't aware of them especially with your comment about why Sandberg do what they do...

13 hours ago, dyerseve said:

I was just trying to make you aware of the full facts as it seemed you either weren't aware of them especially with your comment about why Sandberg do what they do...

but I did state that I read the explanation by Sandberg, with thanks, in a previous post... now who is not reading the thread? (I say this completely in jest, let's make it clear! Written language leaves so many nuances out and I hesitated before posting this in case it was taken too seriously... I fully mean that with a cheeky grin and as a joke ;) )

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

but I did state that I read the explanation by Sandberg, with thanks, in a previous post... now who is not reading the thread? (I say this completely in jest, let's make it clear! Written language leaves so many nuances out and I hesitated before posting this in case it was taken too seriously... I fully mean that with a cheeky grin and as a joke ;) )

No worries it's all good

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2018 at 14:31, Manton Customs said:

Sorry but that's not how it works. With a zero fret equipped instrument the correct height at the first fret is set by the height of the wire used for the zero fret. No decent manufacturer, tech or luthier would ever file grooves into a zero fret to lower the height.

‘Decent’ manufacturer!  Well the majority of Sandberg users would agree they are decent.  You’re showing your good old luthier snobbery there!  Who are Manton Customs?  Just curious! 

Edited by FacStudio
Rethought
  • Sad 1