Why become a member? ×

The Carpenters Story

spectoremg

I always thought the 'chorusing' on Karen Carpenter's voice was just very tight double-tracking or ADT...was I mistaken ?

Anyhow....any excuse to post this...beautiful singing.

Joe Osbourn's bass is a joy as usual...and nice smooth creamy overdriven guitar too ;)

Edited by ahpook

24 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I always thought the 'chorusing' on Karen Carpenter's voice was just very tight double-tracking or ADT...was I mistaken ?

Anyhow....any excuse to post this...beautiful singing.

Joe Osbourn's bass is a joy as usual...and nice smooth creamy overdriven guitar too ;)

From this it looks like you are right.

"Carpenters’ version was punchier than the original, with a swinging harmony and shorter pauses. Richard used a click track to synchronise the vocals (masterfully arranged into four-part harmonies tripled into 12 overdubbed vocal parts) and achieve the right effect. It took 47 takes just to get the extended “wahs” the way he wanted on the closing chorus."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

From this it looks like you are right.

"Carpenters’ version was punchier than the original, with a swinging harmony and shorter pauses. Richard used a click track to synchronise the vocals (masterfully arranged into four-part harmonies tripled into 12 overdubbed vocal parts) and achieve the right effect. It took 47 takes just to get the extended “wahs” the way he wanted on the closing chorus."

The kind of detail I love! Well done. 

• Thanks 1

I saw the Carpenters' Story last year sometime and thought they made a really good job of it.  You need to be very brave to tackle Karen's vocals.  I have the boxed set of Carpenters CDs and I can listen to any one of the albums and not be tempted to skip any of the tracks.  Karen's voice was just magic and Richard's musical arrangements sublime.

• Like 1