Why become a member? ×

Medium gauge 5 string flatwounds

JPJ

So I recently scored a very nice Warwick Rockbass Alien 5 string acoustic bass. She arrived wearing a nice new set of Warwick acoustic bass strings (phosphor-bronze I think).

Now on my Harley Benton 5 string acoustic I keep at work in Holland, I fitted a set of Fender 90505 flats and she came alive but alas it appears Fender don’t make these anymore. So I’m looking for recommendations for 5 string flatwounds. 

I’m  considering the La Bella Deep Talkin Bass strings as they are a medium’ish gauge with a .128 low B. Any other recommendations before I take the plunge?

On 31/03/2018 at 00:32, MOSCOWBASS said:

Yes, the La Bella low tension flats, although thinner the B string is clear and doesn't feel like an old rope. Much better low B than the deep talkin flats in my experience. 

Thanks for this, I’ve taken your advice and ordered a set. I’ll report back at the weekend once they are fitted and I’ve had a good few hours playing time.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 23:39, JPJ said:

Thanks for this, I’ve taken your advice and ordered a set. I’ll report back at the weekend once they are fitted and I’ve had a good few hours playing time.

I feel responsible now:biggrin:. My set are on my 5 string Xotic P bass and are this first set of 5 string flats where the B string sounds like the other 4 strings. They don't feel as low tension as Thomastic Jazz flats, which were too low tension for me. Hope you like them!

You can relax! 

Came home last night, restrung the Alien, tidied up the fret ends, lemon oiled the fingerboard and left it overnight to settle. 

Picked it up this morning and it’s like a different bass. Definitely louder acoustically without all the finger noise from my poor technique. Amazed how authorative the B string is, it sits really well against the rest of the strings. You can definitely ‘feel’ the low tension part, the strings feel played in already.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Thanks 1