Why become a member? ×

10 months today still waiting for Musicman to ship my Stingray....

Max Normal

This isn't really a whinge  just a PSA really for anyone thinking of buying using Musicman's online configurator.

If you do, make sure you have about a year to wait before you expect to see it!  You are probably better off getting one off the peg unless you need a specific configuration like I  did. It's not due to the rosewood fretboard either as they haven't applied for the export licence for that yet.

I wonder what the problem is? Musicman getting really popular? Short-staffed? Shortage of hard woods?

I had a US Lakland built to my spec (ie not something you find as a ‘standard’ US model on their website), 3 months :)

My ACG is currently estimated at 10months.

I imagine with Musicman, it’s not the build that takes time, it’s the queue you’re in for something non-standard.

Si

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Did you pay extra for getting one built to your spec? What did you have in your spec which takes 10 months to build it?

It goes back to "what do you get for paying extra?" and "was it worth it?"

No you don't pay extra, you just get to specify the colour, fretboard wood, neck type etc that you can get already on shop models. MM don't have a custom shop.  Was it worth it?  Definitely, I really want this bass so that's why it's not a whinge.  If I'm going to drop that much on a bass I want it in my spec. I particularly wanted an SLO special which are a bit harder to find than a standard neck model.

Edited by Max Normal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I had a US Lakland built to my spec (ie not something you find as a ‘standard’ US model on their website), 3 months :)

My ACG is currently estimated at 10months.

I imagine with Musicman, it’s not the build that takes time, it’s the queue you’re in for something non-standard.

Si

Yes I suppose you are probably right. That would however class everything that you can choose on their website as "non-standard". I'm still psyched to get the bass but it's just a heads-up for anyone choosing this method of getting one.  For the record, I only had one luthier-made bass before, a hand made one-off headless set neck 5-string and it took just 6 weeks!

14 hours ago, Max Normal said:

Yes I suppose you are probably right. That would however class everything that you can choose on their website as "non-standard". I'm still psyched to get the bass but it's just a heads-up for anyone choosing this method of getting one.  For the record, I only had one luthier-made bass before, a hand made one-off headless set neck 5-string and it took just 6 weeks!

It amazes me that I can get strings made more quickly than one of the local music shop takes to get some in.  Your situation is just as amazing.

Well done for being patient.  Most people these days would be ranting by now.

Looking forward to your NBD post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think my SLO took around 9-10 months from paying the deposit to arrival. 

In their defence, every time I had contact with the Merchant City Music and/or Strings & Things they were spot on. They always came back to me quickly with a definitive reply and not some wishy washy fob off excuse.

Hang tight. It will arrive soon enough.

+1 I had a 5-6 month wait for my Classic Stingray in 2010. I ordered it the day after they were announced and the dealer swapped one of the stock basses on order for mine (coral red) - which would not have figured in the first order by S and T otherwise (mostly black, white and burst). 

It was well worth the wait so hang in there!! I got a fabulous bad which I won't be selling. 

I think they are very busy as the guitar side has really taken off. I'm waiting to order one of the new Stingrays but haven't been able to yet. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think my SLO took around 9-10 months from paying the deposit to arrival. 

In their defence, every time I had contact with the Merchant City Music and/or Strings & Things they were spot on. They always came back to me quickly with a definitive reply and not some wishy washy fob off excuse.

Hang tight. It will arrive soon enough.

Thanks! And yes Strings and things have been superb with their comms.

Edited by Max Normal