Why become a member? ×

I hate bastards who do this!

pst62

Asking £20.00 tells me he knows fine well it's not what he's advertising it as.

If I hadn't known better I could've got caught by out one of these types about ten years back when I was after a Rickenbacker 4001,

foolishly I'd not looked that closely at the listing photo's, but luckily it was a collection only,

when I turned up and got the immaculate looking thing out of it's case only to find it had a bolt on neck and cheap looking machine heads,

I told him it wasn't the genuine thing and he insisted it was and that he'd bought it in London in 1974.

Edited by pst62

This guy doesn't seem to claiming it is anything it isn't, though he seems to think it is a Made in China Fender! 

I was caught by someone advertising a Precision on Gumtree or Preloved (forget which) a few years back when I had just moved back from Finland. Had to drive to a place by the Thames barrier (a fair old schlep from West Oxfordshire) only to find the 'immaculate' Fender P was a MiM with a split neck. He told me it didn't make any difference, I explained that I wasn't exactly a new player and knew a piece of shot when I saw one. He tried to get me take to for a few quid less, but there was no way I would have had unless for free to salvage parts from. In the end I asked of he wanted to sell his Ashdown combo he had there, I could see his girlfriend nodding yes, so offered him a bit less than half what he wanted, paid and started the long drive home. Turned out to be a good amp, used for a few years, sold it for more than I paid last year. 

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I really don't see what he's done wrong, he says in the write up both were made in China

It's not a Fender neck for starters. There are Chinese Fenders about nowadays like the Modern Player line, but that 'Precision Bass' font is all kinds of wrong.

s-l400.jpg

49 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

It's not a Fender neck for starters. There are Chinese Fenders about nowadays like the Modern Player line, but that 'Precision Bass' font is all kinds of wrong.

s-l400.jpg

yes someones put a different (fake) decal on it, but presumably the serial number is correct, I mean you wouldn't put a fake chinese serial number on it would you? and he clearly says in the description it's not a USA one and it's a different neck (so a bitsa bass) and at £20 starting price I really don't see the problem.

edit, I suppose he could have been a bit naughty calling it a Fender neck (but Fender have made some stuff in China but CY does indicate Squier), but it's not like he's claiming the whole thing is a USA Fender, and I think he bought it this way if I'm reading the description properly

Edited by PaulWarning