Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Bass - string choices

Tim Chapple

I recently bought a beautiful used 2014 Anniversary model SG Bass, with an upgraded hipshot bridge. This is the first Gibson short scale I've used - I also have an MIJ Mustang, a Danelectro Longhorn, and a Chowny SWB-1. They all have very different sounds (obviously) - the Mustang has flats and is great for blues, the other two sit well in larger combos, where things get a bit heavier and freakier :) .

I'm currently looking the make the Gibson more adaptable - it is currently set with Chromes flatwounds, and I find I'm using the bridge pickup more to give it some edge.

I could of course keep the Gibson for small combo blues work, but I'd like to use it across the board....

Any recommendations for roundwound strings before I go to my default set of Rotosounds?

Edited by Tim Chapple

I've just put a set of strings on that were the original stock strings on my MIM Mustang PJ - not sure if they are Fender or De'addario? - they don't really fit properly, but it will at least give me an idea of what I can achieve tonally - I'm already now using both pickups, with tone full up, and now using the neck pickup to add depth.

Even with roundwound strings on, you'll find it sounds quite "dark" compared to most other basses, but that shouldn't stop you giving it a bit more bark. I appreciate that my Epiphone EB-3 is a different instrument from a "real" Gibson, but I've tried it with Roto RS66 (both SS and nickel), Ernie Ball Cobalts, and Warwick Reds - I still default to Rotosound, but all of them have sounded good. (The Warwicks are pretty good as a cheap option if you're just looking to experiment!!)

I have all my short scale basses strung with Newtone Platinum Nickel roundwounds these seem to work on all 3,  Harley Benton P bass shorty, Scott Whitley SWB-1 and the ACG Skelf short scale. Alan at ACG supplies his basses fitted with Newtone strings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Even with roundwound strings on, you'll find it sounds quite "dark" compared to most other basses, but that shouldn't stop you giving it a bit more bark. I appreciate that my Epiphone EB-3 is a different instrument from a "real" Gibson, but I've tried it with Roto RS66 (both SS and nickel), Ernie Ball Cobalts, and Warwick Reds - I still default to Rotosound, but all of them have sounded good. (The Warwicks are pretty good as a cheap option if you're just looking to experiment!!)

Not wanting to hi jack, but how did you find the Warwick’s compared to the rotos? I have always used rotos on my Thunderbird but have a set of the Warwick’s on their way so am interested how they compare. Similar to the SG it’s a very dark sound, which I like and found the rotos suit it really well but just don’t last.

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Not wanting to hi jack, but how did you find the Warwick’s compared to the rotos? I have always used rotos on my Thunderbird but have a set of the Warwick’s on their way so am interested how they compare. Similar to the SG it’s a very dark sound, which I like and found the rotos suit it really well but just don’t last.

Tonally, they're definitely in the same ball-park. The Warwicks are bright and clear with plenty of zing; much like Rotos that does fade over a few days. I think the Rotosounds have more "authority" in their tone - I also use them on my Thunderbird, incidentally, and with the pickup blend just right I do find I can get a nice piano-like tone without sacrificing the bottom end. The Warwicks definitely manage a close second, and I'd probably go back to them if I couldn't get Rotos for whatever reason.

The Warwicks obviously have the advantage of being cheaper; curiously enough I also found them quite a bit softer under the fingers, and I tend to favour the nickel-plated Rotos when I can get them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Tonally, they're definitely in the same ball-park. The Warwicks are bright and clear with plenty of zing; much like Rotos that does fade over a few days. I think the Rotosounds have more "authority" in their tone - I also use them on my Thunderbird, incidentally, and with the pickup blend just right I do find I can get a nice piano-like tone without sacrificing the bottom end. The Warwicks definitely manage a close second, and I'd probably go back to them if I couldn't get Rotos for whatever reason.

The Warwicks obviously have the advantage of being cheaper; curiously enough I also found them quite a bit softer under the fingers, and I tend to favour the nickel-plated Rotos when I can get them.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Sounds like they are a similar beast which is good.