Why become a member? ×

Trace Eliot ELF

fryer

Just ordered one - should arrive tomorrow. I want something small to take to rehearsals. Will be using with a Purple Chilli 1 x 12 cab.

Cab is 8 ohm, so should get 130 w from the amp. Will this be loud enough ?

I normally use a Reidmar 750 with 4 x 10 cab for gigs. 

1 hour ago, fryer said:

I want something small to take to rehearsals. Will this be loud enough ?

Depends on who else is in the room, and how loud they are.

If you're up against a live kit with a clumsy drummer and a guitarist with a Marshall stack, then no.

If you play with musicians, then yes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well it's ordered and you're about to find out! :) 

Sorry to be a naysayer, but if you're playing with a full rock band I think the little thing may struggle / you'll be pushing it to flat out which I'd generally prefer not to be doing with my D class amps. 

Personally I'd have just stuck to the Reidmar 750 with your Chilli 1x12 - that would seem perfect for rehearsals? Ok the Reidmar is a little bit bigger than the ELF, but it's not exactly a heavy suitcase is it?!

(On the plus side if it doesn't stack up, you should be able to return and get a full refund).

Edited by Al Krow

I've got it and tried it, and it seams as though it will be ok. Obviously can't tell till next rehearsal. 

It's so small I was worried about it flying around on the end of the lead, but luckily it is heavier than it looks. 

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, fryer said:

it just kept clipping when feeding one 500 w cab. Have returned it.

Quite surprising... I bought mine mainly as a back up/rehearsal amp so I didn't have use beat EBS & Ashdown amps... Mine works great with Ampeg fridges, EBS Proline 4x10 and my own 2x10+15 cabs. Then we moved into our own 'crack den' studio and I was hooking it into an old beat up Carlsboro 15" that was formerly a combo with the amp removed... I play grunge in one band and metal/hard rock in the other - plenty volume and headroom in 8 or 4 Ohm settings.. Still prefer my Trace V4 but very happy with the Elf!