Why become a member? ×

RIP Caleb Scofield

Graham

I woke up to the awful news that one of my all time favourite musicans, Caleb Scofield has died.

Caleb was the bassist/vocalist for Cave In and Old Man Gloom and guitarist/bassist/vocalist for Zozobra. He has been a real influnce on my playing and I'm gutted I never got the chance to see him play live since I saw Cave In support the Foos 2002, when I wasn't that fussed about them.

He's survived by his wife and two daughters, who must be going through the worst time.

FB_IMG_1522388831812.jpg

His heavy vocals were fantastic, Trepanning by Cave In and Gift by Old Man Gloom both immediately jump to mind as great examples.

The funny thing is how much he sounded like Stephen Brodsky when he sang clean parts, I was talking to Brodsky on Twitter a couple of weeks ago as I was convinced he'd contributed vocals to Zozobra, but no - everything on those records is Scofield apart from the drums.

Hadn't been on BC yet, but saw this sad news the other day. Big influence on my playing and writing. Jupiter and Antenna were both massive records for me.

There's a fundraiser online for his family here: https://www.youcaring.com/jenscofield-1149130?fb_action_ids=10155967805242928 

Appears to have been set up by a family friend with a target of $1000 dollars to try and help them out with immediate costs. Has raised about $90k now, which is incredible. Doesn't replace a husband and a father but at least helps them get by for the time being. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...