Why become a member? ×

Strings for medium scale fiver

Count Bassy

Following my question about fret rattle on the E string of a Warwick medium scale fiver I investigated the ideas suggested (thanks again), but to no avail. I am now looking at getting a new/different set of strings to investigate (& hopefully cure) the problem further.

However the choice is very limited for a medium scale fiver, all I can find are:

-  Warwick Red Label   : What it came fitted with, machine wound in China. Not readily available but do exist.

-  Warwick Black Label:   Available in 40 - 130 or 45 - 135. Even the Warwick site is pretty unclear on how these differ from the above, other than being hand wound in the States (which doesn't inherently means that it's better). 34 euro/set

- La Bella Deep talkers :  44 - 128  at £40/set.

The La Bella's would seem to be the easiest to get hold of in the UK, but I've no experience of them.

Any further suggestions or comments on the above folks?

ADDENDUM: Just looked at details of the La Bella's and the winding length is 34", which is about 1/2" too short for the bass (Due to the Warwick two piece bridge design I guess), and the standard scale ones are 37" which is too long!!! Doh!

Edited by Count Bassy

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

What's the betting they're from the same maker as the Warwick one. In both cases it'll be "label engineering".

What's the point of your message ? Could you please explain, because I really don't understand ?

Someone is asking for help.

I had to search for these medium scale strings too, so I just add the fact that Fodera is making some too and giving a link where to buy them.

I'm not affiliated to Fodera at all and find their instruments retail prices awfully way too expensive and absolutely not justified, as I'm not affiliated to Thomann preferring Music Store in general.

But their strings are well made, sound very good and are at a decent price compared to other makers as they are sold at £29.83 GBP (who cares if it's "label engineering" made in China or anywhere else as long as they are suiting what they are bought for).

I've tried them so I'm not speaking in the absolute emptiness.

By the way, the computer, laptop, phone or whatever you use to type is totally made in China, like 80% of the consumers products we all use.

So tell me where really is the point of such a message like yours ?

Hellzero,

I don't think Grangur's post was an attack on your suggestion, just a comment on what goes on in the bass string industry.

I have looked at the Fodera site and their strings are made in the USA, as are the Warwick Black label. Warwick Red label are made in China.

If the Fodera string are indeed the same as the Warwick Black label then it would at least mean that they fit the Warwick bass!!, if not the same then it gives me another option.:D

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, pete.young said:

What about Newtone?

What's the cost of Newtones. Given that they are custom wound I assumed that they'd be out of my range.

Actually just checked £35, which is more than I'd normally pay, but not a silly price - and if it does the job....

Do people generally like them?

4 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

What's the cost of Newtones. Given that they are custom wound I assumed that they'd be out of my range.

Actually just checked £35, which is more than I'd normally pay, but not a silly price - and if it does the job....

I love them! I don’t think I’ll look at another string manufacturer for a long time now.

5 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Hellzero,

I don't think Grangur's post was an attack on your suggestion, just a comment on what goes on in the bass string industry.

I have looked at the Fodera site and their strings are made in the USA, as are the Warwick Black label. Warwick Red label are made in China.

If the Fodera string are indeed the same as the Warwick Black label then it would at least mean that they fit the Warwick bass!!, if not the same then it gives me another option.:D

Many thanks. You have it in 1. My comment wasn't an attack on anyone, least of all @Hellzero all I was saying is I would bet my Granny that neither Warwick nor Fodera actually make strings.

I stand corrected about the makers being the same. But hey, this used to be a friendly chat forum. Now @Hellzero insists we have an environment of "facts only or shut up". 

Sorry for breathing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Love them, though I haven't tried a custom medium-scale fiver set

On 3/30/2018 at 14:34, Count Bassy said:

I love my Newtone strings, I've used them for a few years now.

I play 31.5" 6 string basses and they happily make me custom sets to my exact spec. They are wonderful strings, the best I've played.

I have tried the LaBella ones and although they weren't bad, they ended up crazy expensive shipping from the US, and for the price I could've had two sets of custom Newtone strings which are better anyway.

Eude

On 30/03/2018 at 19:38, Grangur said:

Many thanks. You have it in 1. My comment wasn't an attack on anyone, least of all @Hellzero all I was saying is I would bet my Granny that neither Warwick nor Fodera actually make strings.

I stand corrected about the makers being the same. But hey, this used to be a friendly chat forum. Now @Hellzero insists we have an environment of "facts only or shut up". 

Sorry for breathing.

Fodera seemingly do make their own strings.

http://www.fodera.com/about-our-strings/

35 minutes ago, eude said:

I love my Newtone strings, I've used them for a few years now.

I play 31.5" 6 string basses and they happily make me custom sets to my exact spec. They are wonderful strings, the best I've played.

I have tried the LaBella ones and although they weren't bad, they ended up crazy expensive shipping from the US, and for the price I could've had two sets of custom Newtone strings which are better anyway.

Eude

I have a set of nickel double ball-end arriving this week for my Sei 6 string :). Status double ball-end are OK, but only come in stainless-steel.

On 30/03/2018 at 00:56, Count Bassy said:

standard scale ones are 37" which is too long!!! Doh!

Too long? O.o how does that work? 

I cut all my strings 3 to 4 inch after the peg to have about three windings around the peg when tuned. Always have done with all brands I've tried.

On 4/1/2018 at 07:10, Bolo said:

Too long? O.o how does that work? 

I cut all my strings 3 to 4 inch after the peg to have about three windings around the peg when tuned. Always have done with all brands I've tried.

Too long in that you end up with the fully wound part of the string going round the tuning peg, possible several times, which most string manufacturers say is not a good thing. If you cut it as you suggest then there's a chance that the end wont go down the slot in the tuner.

On 3/30/2018 at 19:38, Grangur said:

Sorry for breathing.

In Hellzero's defence he lists his location as South Belgium, so English may not be his first language, and something may have got lost in translation.

Let's all kiss and make up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

If you cut it as you suggest then there's a chance that the end wont go down the slot in the tuner

That's possible. Although it hasn't happened to me yet with Ernie Ball, GHS, D'addario, Dean Markley, Warwick or DR strings in over 20 years of playing.

Also having the outer winding on the peg is could affect things how? What's the science here? Do you have a link for me to read up on this?

Inquisitive minds want to know! 😃

Kiss you all, even if I'm not lost in translation, but I know I'm a bit harsh when saying things. B|

That said, concerning the possible breaking on the post with too long strings, it depends on the strings. The Thomastik JR are absolutely not sensible to this problem, but the Fodera are especially the B string...

Add the fact that sometimes the Italian blood still running in my veins can take over, and you get the explosive image of a person like me. Add also the fact that I was born and raised in a region called "La Gaume" where the saying "Quand dje'n sa rin dje'm ta" meaning "When I know nothing, I remain silent" is applied all of the time being a way of living, and you'll get some explanations about my character. Furthermore add the fact that being fluent in English, German, French and Italian does not help here, because what I wrote is what I intended to say.

My apologies to @Grangur if I hurt him.

I'm guilty for being myself, but this is me and I'm not going to change a thing about it as it would be like lying to myself (sorry for being redundant) and it would be boring for you (and me, of course). :biggrin:

Case closed ?