Why become a member? ×

When to move to a five?

lozkerr

Hello, all you lovely Basschatters!

I'm in a bit of a quandry (no, not the new Toyota) and would appreciate people's views.

I've been playing the bass for a couple of years, and thanks to a superb teacher (hi Jamie) I've successfully progressed from awful to not-as-awful-as-I-was. I'm still using my first bass - a four-string Ibanez - but I've borrowed a five-string Fender Jazz, just to see what a five-string axe is like.

Apologies if this next bit sounds conceited - I'm not wanting to sound big-headed - but I've been playing it regularly for the last few days and it's lovely. No problems with positioning or not being able to find notes. I'm still hitting the odd wrong string but I'm sure more practice will sort that out. What's been really encouraging is to find that some phrases I struggle with on the Ibanez are easy on the Fender, as it's quicker to drop down to the B string than move up and down the fretboard. Being a girlie, I've got quite small hands so they have to move about a bit.

So I guess the exam question is this - should I get a five now and carry on learning on that, or carry on with the four for a bit longer? I'd like to switch to a five now, but I can be more impatient than is good for me and I'd like to know what more experienced folks think.

Many thanks,

Laura

You go for whatever you find more comfortable. 

I am surprised if you have small hands you find the fender easier as the string spacing is quite big, but there are no rules on what is best for everyone.

However, one thing to be aware of is that playing something new creates an interest which means it can seem better when it is just more interesting!

If you can afford it and can keep the Ibanez too then I’d say go for whatever makes you feel enthused about playing, and hence learning and progressing. 

Also, have you asked your teacher's opinion? They may be the best placed person to have a valid opinion on this.  Unless they happen to have a five string Fender Jazz for sale that is xD

• Like 2

Play the instrument that feels most comfortable, if you`re already noticing the difference in your playing due to changing to the 5 string I`d look to get one of those exact basses. You might not be as comfortable on other 5 string basses, likewise you may find other 4 string basses easier to play than your I banez, but for now your hands are telling you that Jazz fiver is what they prefer.

• Like 1

There isn't a set probation period one is required to "have served" on a 4 string, to be allowed to move to a 5 string bass. Four strings are simply a good starting point for shaping your own preferences.

||: Try as many different configurations/models/setups as you can and always go for the one you currently prefer. And then... :||

• Like 2

According to the laws of dynamics and aeronautical engineering, bumble bees can't fly. IMHO small hands fall into this same category. If you want to play a 5, 6 or 7 there's nothing to stop you.

You could find a trip to The Bass Gallery would be time well spent. You could also try Denmark Street good. Try some 5s and find what suits you.

• Like 1

IIRC, Billy Sheehan said something along the lines of "I'm still learning the 4 string & once I've mastered it, then I'll add another string".

The benefit of a 5 string is having those 5 lower semitones (though you could buy an octaver & have 12 lower semitones xD ).

If the songs you play call for the lower (or of you string it E-C, higher) notes, then defo go for it.
If your playing style means the extra string will make things easier, then again, go for it.
If you want a 5 string just for the sake of having a 5 string, stop.  Have a think & work out why you're going for a 5 string & not a 4 or 6.

I've played a 4 string for 30+ years & never needed more.  That doesn't stop me wanting a 5 string fretless though.  :D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

The benefit of a 5 string is having those 5 lower semitones (though you could buy an octaver & have 12 lower semitones xD ).

I would correct this and say 'one of the benefits....' - another benefit you have discovered is that finding notes on or around the 5th fret can be easier without ever dipping below the low E.  I would also add the extra choice of where to play the note gives you the choice of what timbre the note will have - eg E played on an open string doesn't sound like E fretted on the B string so you can play what is most appropriate.

I changed to 5 strings about 2 years ago and most likely won't change back even if there was no longer a need for 5 strings.  But, as has been said, do what is most comfortable for you - from what you say it sounds like you want to explore 5 strings so I'd say go for it.  If it doesn't work out, go back to 4.  No-one will get hurt, it is only a bass!

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Also, have you asked your teacher's opinion? They may be the best placed person to have a valid opinion on this.  Unless they happen to have a five string Fender Jazz for sale that is xD

Funny you should say that...xD

9 hours ago, shamrock198804 said:

||: Try as many different configurations/models/setups as you can and always go for the one you currently prefer. And then... :||

That's got to be the best definition of GAS I've seen. You win!

There are no rules, you don't have to "master" or even play a 4 string. You can have as many or as few strings as you want. That's a bit like a the old-fashioned "My dad says I can have an electric guitar once I've learned to play acoustic" stuff I used to hear when I played electric guitar. 

There are only 12 semi tones in western music, extended range instruments just give you more options for how and where to play those notes. How you access and utilise those 12 notes is up to you.

Go try lots! Borrow different ones, spend some hours down the bass shops and take notes of what you are testing and what you notice about that bass. Try different string spacings.

Or just get a shiny one that catches your eye 😏

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Go try lots! Borrow different ones, spend some hours down the bass shops and take notes of what you are testing and what you notice about that bass. Try different string spacings.

Or just get a shiny one that catches your eye 😏

+1 to that!

If you've got smaller hands, then actually a 5 string version of your Ibby is worth checking out with its skinny neck (particularly the SR Premiums with the growly Nord PUPs - if that is your thing!) as well as the Fender Jazz 5. And if you include a Yamaha BB 435 (or 735A) on your list, those three by themselves will cover quite a range of necks, PUPs and body shapes between them, and each has a lot of love on BC.

Happy hunting! :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Before you shell out on a five string try a short scale four or five string. I have small hands and played normal scale basses for years, trying a short scale was a revelation for me, should have been playing them all along.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If your teacher is any good he'll have developed, or will be developing, your technique so that small hands won't limit or hinder your playing possibilities.

Frank you clearly had a poor teacher? xD

Hi Laura!

I was in a similar situation as you a month ago.  I got hired to play a musical (because I can read, not because I'm a good bass player) and a couple of the tunes had low D's and Eb's.  I wasn't about to start messing around with new gear and even installed a Drop D tuner in my 4-string.  But I got serious 5-string gas. And it's been a wonderful learning experience. I got lucky and dumped a bunch of guitar gear for good money and funded my bass habit and ended up with TWO 5-stringers, both completely different from each other [long story]. It's been a month and I'm almost acclimated fully.  4-strings are wonderful and have sustained bass players for generations. But I felt, probably like you, that putting off getting a 5-string was putting off the inevitable. I'm so new at it, but find 5-string  puts me in a different mind set. 

It's great that you found a 5-string that you're comfortable with out of the chute. If that's what you like I say go for one just like it. But if you can't find or afford what you know, then as suggested play a lot of different instruments.  If possible find one that you like and have the ability to try at home for an extended period. I don't want to hijack the thread, but am surprised that I ended up loving the (first) 5-string that I bought thinking I was going to return it because initially it was too big for my comfort at that time (thus the acquisition of the 2nd bass :0 ).  I was surprised at how fast my hands became accustomed to it.  I'll save that story for another time. 

Good luck. 

Google for Scott Devine's video on why not to buy a five.  It's actually a cheeky title, because the video is moreabout why fives are good but the hiccups you may have along the way and tips on how to make the transition.

If I recall, and from my own experience, fives are heavier, the spacing can be narrower, and the extra string alters your fretboard patterns picture.  The upside is being able to work across and not have to go up and down the fingerboard. While 'Jaco never needed more than four strings', a great many pros do play with a five.  The best advice I've had and would give is commit 100%.  Don't try and play both the 4 and a the 5, you'll never get there.  Decide to play a five, find a nice five you like and then never touch the 4 again.   FWIW YMMV

• Like 3

From personnal experience, the time not to move to a five is half way through your honeymoon necessitating a 3 hour detour and going straight into a gig when we got home thinking "the extra string cannot be THAT tricky".

• Like 3