Why become a member? ×

String tension - Drop tuned E > C#

pburrows

Hi guys

I'm playing a 4 string with the E drop tuned to C#, I'm using RotoSound Swing 66 - 45 gauge. I quite like the sound and they suit the natural growl of my Sandberg.

The main point that I am posted here to discuss is how loose the tension is. I can often find the E string being pushed off the fret board when I'm trying to fret which is annoying. Do you have any suggestions on a better string set to use for down tuning whilst retaining good tension and that will also help with the growl.

This might help.

http://www.stringtensionpro.com

I used it when I need to re tune a bass to DGCF for a particular project, by using the string suggested, the bass felt and sounded just the same as it did with standard strings tuned 2 steps higher. Just lower in pitch, of course!

The band didn't work out, I think I still have the strings, must put on the for sale section sometime.

• Like 1

I play in exactly the same tuning and have found nothing better, tension-wise, than these:

http://daddario.com/DADMobileProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=380&sid=6d377a95-4f38-4919-bfdd-24f23f14b875

I just wish they did them in steels.

The Dunlop DBS60120s are also very good. I’m considering switching back to them because, as good as the D’addarios are in terms of tension, I just much prefer the sound of steels. If you want “growl”, you probably will, too!

I haven’t tried the DR ones as they’re a bit pricey for me, but if they’re anything like their other strings they’ll be excellent. Both the D’addarios and the Dunlops can be had for about £20 a set.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Thanks 1

@pburrowsjust to fill in on how they like a Sandberg......DR DDTs love em!

I have had them on my VS4 (now left me) My MarloweDK and my TT with Hauessel pick ups.

i also have them on the fundamental string of my 12 string Hamer (octaves are D’addArio’s).

i have that in drop D and half a step down

• Thanks 1

If you stay in the same tuning and like the Rotos then why not get a single 125 string 

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/single-strings-c810/bass-guitar-c536/rotosound-sbl125-swing-bass-stainless-steel-roundwound-single-string-125-low-b-p6096

I use a 110 E string but most of the time I am in standard tuning and need to drop the string to D or B during the set.

I'm looking at those D'addario EXL165BT strings for standard tuning and a less floppy E string when dropping down lower