Why become a member? ×

New D’addario strings problem SOLVED!

ianrendall

I've got a dead string that just came on a new Sire bass. Believe they're EXL170-5 - same as your set... Have to say, I'm really liking the sound and feel of the rest of the set! Normally the strings I use are a pain to get hold of, so, dud aside, I'm well happy that these are working for me. 

Edited by M@23

They’re great strings, I’ve used them for years. I’m really surprised you’ve got a dead one, but that’s more likely to be because the bass was strung months ago and has been sitting in a shipping container at sea between Indonesia and here, suffering all sorts of extremes of temperature and humidity.

One of the main reasons I’ve stuck with the EXLs for over 15 years is their consistency - all that time I’ve never had a dud. In 40 years of playing  I’ve been through most brands, and some major makes (naming no names) have truly appalling quality control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lowregisterhead said:

They’re great strings, I’ve used them for years. I’m really surprised you’ve got a dead one, but that’s more likely to be because the bass was strung months ago and has been sitting in a shipping container at sea between Indonesia and here, suffering all sorts of extremes of temperature and humidity.

One of the main reasons I’ve stuck with the EXLs for over 15 years is their consistency - all that time I’ve never had a dud. In 40 years of playing  I’ve been through most brands, and some major makes (naming no names) have truly appalling quality control.

@D'Addario UK's customer service is reliably consistent and very, very good just like the products they produce.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

I bought a set of the Sheehan sig Rotosounds last week to put on my Aria Black and Gold. I used to use them all the time with my white SB Elite back in the late 80s/early 90s.

The E string was flat and lifeless compared with the other three strings. So I emailed them, the reply was along the lines of:

"Yes, heavier gauge strings are prone to that"

I'd already pointed out that I'd never had that issue with 110-127 gauge D'Addarios.

They're sending a replacement, so we'll see.

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

I've been inspired by this thread to send our friendly local D'Addario representative a message regarding a faulty guitar cable (lifetime guarantee but bought new off eBay so got no receipt). 

I hope the poor chap isn't inundated after this. O.o

Edited by Painy

8 hours ago, Painy said:

I've been inspired by this thread to send our friendly local D'Addario representative a message regarding a faulty guitar cable (lifetime guarantee but bought new off eBay so got no receipt). 

I hope the poor cheap isn't inundated after this. O.o

I’m not sure how active he is at the moment. I sent him a PM regarding my issue a number of days ago and he hasn’t picked it up yet. I approached D’addario USA on Twitter who must have forwarded my issue to the UK branch as that’s where my new strings came from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

I’m not sure how active he is at the moment. I sent him a PM regarding my issue a number of days ago and he hasn’t picked it up yet. I approached D’addario USA on Twitter who must have forwarded my issue to the UK branch as that’s where my new strings came from. 

Yeah, my message is unread at the moment but I'd put it down to the bank holiday weekend.

I've now sent the same message to D'Addario UK on facebook so hopefully it'll get through one way or the other.