Jump to content
Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat Podcast: Episode 2 Read more... ×
Twigman

Any techs can repair my KRK active monitor?

Recommended Posts

I think the electrolytic capacitors in one of my KRK RP6 G2 monitors need replacing. It crackles whenever it is powered up whether an input is connected or not. Is anyone local to me (Dunstable/Hemel/Watford/Luton) who could do this for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The service centre is in Acton if that helps:

http://synthservice.com

If you need a spare part, you would need to purchase it from them anyway (or possibly directly from Focusrite (UK distributor) if the service centre don't sell outside of a repair). But whoever fixes it would possibly need the schematics, which wouldn't be released by KRK or the service centre.

Si

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Amp tech in Stevenage if Si's suggestion doesn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 10:58, Sibob said:

The service centre is in Acton if that helps:

http://synthservice.com

If you need a spare part, you would need to purchase it from them anyway (or possibly directly from Focusrite (UK distributor) if the service centre don't sell outside of a repair). But whoever fixes it would possibly need the schematics, which wouldn't be released by KRK or the service centre.

Si

I eventually got a reply from these guys.

They seem to think from the fault I describe that the monitor is 'beyond economic repair'.

 

cow poop

a couple of capacitors for sure - so they want me to replace BOTH my monitors  GRR!!!!

What a waste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I eventually got a reply from these guys.

They seem to think from the fault I describe that the monitor is 'beyond economic repair'.

 

cow poop

a couple of capacitors for sure - so they want me to replace BOTH my monitors  GRR!!!!

What a waste!

You’re certainly able to ask any tech to take a look, all i’m saying though is that they won’t be able to get hold of any schematics if needed.

Spares can be purchased from Focusrite I believe.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My symptoms sound exactly like this:  (RP5 in video - mine is RP6)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old set of Rokit 8 which have buzzes now and then, I keep meaning to research capacitor upgrades but never get round to it - just turn them up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the repair myself.

 

It's worse now than it was  LOL

 

I've ordered some new monitors.

 

Hide my soldering iron - I'm obviously totally inept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that. Looking on the bright side, you may have learned one of the great life lessons: "know your limitations". :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Twigman said:

I tried the repair myself.

 

It's worse now than it was  LOL

 

I've ordered some new monitors.

 

Hide my soldering iron - I'm obviously totally inept

Out of interest, what did you do, and how is it worse? Might be useful info for others considering the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed exactly the procedure in the youtube video stevie posted

I used Wurth capacitors from RS

Now I have exactly the noise demonstrated by this video (the video is RP5 not RP6 but the noise is the same)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting video, and if you read into the comments, a guy from KRK pops up and says the engineers there had seen this conductive are corrosive potting compound in their products, which was not specified in the build standard.

Get scraping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repaired quite a few of these. Just like in the EEV Blog video, you have to get rid of all the black glue/compound and then all the crackling goes away. 

Once its all gone check the legs of the components as some times they get corroded by the glue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×