Why become a member? ×

Refinishing.

Japhet

I've just ordered a Harley Benton PB50 which I'm going to repaint straight away as a bit of a project. I've never painted a guitar before but have worked for donkeys years as a car painter so no problems there. I'd like any suggestions on what type of paint I should use in case anyone has experience. I'm thinking 2K solid colour could work but would also be happy to try 2K basecoat and clear. I'm assuming the factory finish is stable enough to paint over without re-priming. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also have just read through kodiakblair's PB50 thread and have all the info I need for a headstock reshape. Great stuff.

Edited by Japhet
  • Like 1

I would have thought it’s a high gloss poly finish so I reckon as long as you give it a key then you should be able to 2k basecoat then clear over the top of the original

But check out @yorks5stringer‘s 51 P Bass custom colour thread I think he painted over the top on his 

What colour you going for?

Good luck and post some pics.....,

11 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I would have thought it’s a high gloss poly finish so I reckon as long as you give it a key then you should be able to 2k basecoat then clear over the top of the original

But check out @yorks5stringer‘s 51 P Bass custom colour thread I think he painted over the top on his 

What colour you going for?

Good luck and post some pics.....,

I'm going to do it in that pale mint green that Fiat use on the 500s. Think it's called Smooth Mint. I'm going to cut the headstock to a Tele shape and colour that as well. Probably get a load of flack for it but I reckon it will look good. Might even stretch to a Mother of Pearl scratchplate.

• Like 1

I've just had one of my two Patrick Eggle Milan V's painted metallic lime green (it was originally plain wood finish. Then Andyjr stained it green and finished it in danish oil but when I saw the metallic lime I had to have that, so it was primed, painted and lacquered (as thin as it could be done) and looks extremely 'lush'. Go for it.

Edited by 6feet7

1 minute ago, 6feet7 said:

I've just had one of my two Patrick Eggle Milan V's painted Vauxhall metallic lime green by my local car re-sprayers (it was originally plain wood finish. Then Andyjr stained it green and finished it in danish oil but when I saw the metallic lime I had to have that, so it was primed, painted and lacquered (as thin as it could be done) and looks extremely 'lush'. Go for it.

Pics or it didn't happen!

2 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

I've just had one of my two Patrick Eggle Milan V's painted Vauxhall metallic lime green by my local car re-sprayers (it was originally plain wood finish. Then Andyjr stained it green and finished it in danish oil but when I saw the metallic lime I had to have that, so it was primed, painted and lacquered (as thin as it could be done) and looks extremely 'lush'. Go for it.

:useless:

Edited by Geek99

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

I'm going to do it in that pale mint green that Fiat use on the 500s. Think it's called Smooth Mint. I'm going to cut the headstock to a Tele shape and colour that as well. Probably get a load of flack for it but I reckon it will look good. Might even stretch to a Mother of Pearl scratchplate.

I love that colour on guitars and basses :)  Very, very cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Japhet said:

Sounds nice (not too sure about the MOP scratchplate?.....)

Lots of other people have bought the PB50 and reshaped the headstock tele shaped, Just don’t put a fender logo on it and you’ll be fine.....

When I’ve got the money I’m hoping to get a PB50 but I’m planning on doing mine White with Cream pickguard 

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

There's a Fiat 500 red/pink that I keep seeing, giving me gas for a Jazz Bass. Great colours, shame the cars look so nice but are do badly built!!

20 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I can’t answer your questions, but I can think people will as this;

If it goes well, would you do other people’s at a price?

If yes to the above, where are you based?

Hmmmm........I'll see how this one goes first :D !!!

The Harley Benton has turned up today and I have to say it is quite astonishing value for money. Needs a couple of very minor tweaks when I strip it down but it looks, feels and plays incredibly well. Might be a bit difficult putting it down to start work on it - we'll see. I can muck about with it til the paint turns up anyhow.

Paint has arrived this morning. Couldn't get it in 2K solid colour so I've got solvent basecoat which will then need to be clear coated. Template also arrived this morning to reshape the headstock courtesy of the most friendly and helpful Kodoakblair from this forum. Had a bit of spare time this afternoon so I've cut the headstock to shape and sanded it down. A flick of etch primer (don't know if that's necessary but it should bite onto the wood I hope) and a few coats of high build primer from an aerosol. I've sanded the body over with 800 grit paper and then given it a good going over with grey scotchbrite. Hopefully I'll have it painted over the weekend.

6 hours ago, Japhet said:

I've got a few pics in the bag - the tricky bit for me is getting them onto the thread. Do not underestimate how utterly crap I am at that type of stuff!

If you want to send them to me (either PM here or email is fine), feel free to PM me and i’ll pop them up :)

Si